By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese HW Sales for Week Ending July 20, 2008

mrstickball said:
The X360 sales increase has been the culmination of a decent to good game (Gundam: Operation Troy), and the massive buildup of JRPG news for the X360. ToV was announced, dated, and exclusive to the X360 which gave it a decent jump. Star Ocean 4 was announced as exclusive, and now XIII has been announced.

So with all of this data, the X360 has seen gradual, but strong increases, and is actually TRENDING better. Rather than a one-and-done, it's actually been preforming rather well. It was selling 1,000-2,000 units per week for quite some time, and now it hasn't been below 2,500 for 4 weeks now, and has been above 3,500 for 3 weeks, which is very good for what the X360 has done.

Trends like this suggest that the Xbox 360 will see great sales when ToV launches. I think 10,000+ h/w units that week (2 weeks away) are quite possible

yes quite possible but with the 360 in Japan right now we are not looking for one week explosions.  We are looking for consisten increases, which although something it has been showing, is nothing to brag about.  I mean Wii increases by 100% and we are over 100,000 units.  360 increases by 100% in Japan and we are looking at 5,000 units.  So this is why these steady increases really don't catch my attention as something important yet but just the nature of the beast.  Going off some good hype and seeing some increases.  My question is not will their new numbers last but with the increases get larger then start o last.  If 8 weeks from now, the 360 is at a consistent base of 5 digits then something is going on.  If it's just a 5 digit week then back to norm or some small slopes then well it's just trendy and will fade away when it loses that slight brand appeal from whencever it came. 

Point being that alhtough these 360 bumps in japan are exciting considering 360 has been deader than Brittney Spear's morality, but I think we need to wait a little longer before we start speculating on what's going on.

Around the Network

If you look at videos of Gundam Operation Troy, it really looks like not bad a game. The Japanese are just after good games like everyone else and more of them are biting thats all. It may have even done better if not for the FPS gameplay.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_3801_en.html

RPGs are the main thing though and I cant wait to see Tales/IU week.

PSP iz on tizzop again!

I had no idea that an announcement for a game could increase game sales.

I'd just chalk up 360 sales to being too low to get an accurate read.

How long before the 360 starts outselling the PS3 in Japan? Predictions?

jkimball said:
badgenome said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Good ,that inmense amount of money they have put in the table for FFXIII have managed them 1-1.5K more sales ....lets see if for a week or a bit more.

So much for the DS beating the PSP this week....a big difference of sales.

Do you really think they paid for it? Wouldn't it be incredibly stupid to pay for a game that won't even see release on their system in the region in which it would help them most?

Of course they paid for it. They had to. They paid for GTA, they Paid for FFXIII, they paid for Fallout, they'll pay for Tekken, etc etc.  Why would Square do it for free, when obivously MSFT is willing to pay? Square isn't stupid, they see the 50M that Rockstar got and want their piece as well.  MSFT does not have to make rational business decisions- they essentitally have unlimted  funds. Square knows this. Everyone knows this. MSFT will be paying for a long, long time.  Even if a developer was going to do multiplat, announce as PS3 exclusive and then approach MSFT about a little help to go multiplat...

WoW thats interesting... could you even tell me what is bad about it?

First of all, I am a gamer. As a gamer, I want to have good games. Microsoft is satisfying their customers. The customer will not care how a good game made its way on a console. He will buy and enjoy it, thats all.

Besides that, it is a win / win situation for square and ms. The only loser is Sony. Not Sonys customers, they won't care either, how this game made its way. They will buy and enjoy it aswell. This is no trolling, that is just the business.

Back to sales:

Nintendo is dominating the entire market. Worldwide the wii and the DS combined sold more than PSP, PS3 and Xbox360 together. That is just impressive. They sell nearly 850.000 consoles of the DS and wii in one week. Thats just insane.

Do you really think a modified DS would increase its sales significantly? Nintendo sells like 5 million units this year in japan. would this number increase to 10 million? There is no need to modify the ds for europe or the us. It is just a cash cow that should be milked in my eyes.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Frankly the 360 deserve better sales in Japan, they have a really worked hard at delivering good games in a country that ignores its greatness..........

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Outcast said:
How long before the 360 starts outselling the PS3 in Japan? Predictions?

15K hours, give or take a thousand.

Well Famitsu only had the 360 at 3600. So if media create is at 3600 or below, we know it is just VGC overtracking it for this week.

The DS beat the PSP figures for last week - its just coincidence that the PSP released a new colour to boost sales at the same time.

Sales of all the PSP, DS & Wii are pretty healthy at the moment. WiiFit has done a great job of keeping Wii sales above 30k-40k for the entire year (along with some help).

Not too sure what is going to happen to PS3 sales in the short term.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
The DS beat the PSP figures for last week - its just coincidence that the PSP released a new colour to boost sales at the same time.

Sales of all the PSP, DS & Wii are pretty healthy at the moment. WiiFit has done a great job of keeping Wii sales above 30k-40k for the entire year (along with some help).

Not too sure what is going to happen to PS3 sales in the short term.

You win. Best excuse i have ever heard. The PSP beat DS this week dude, just admit it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)