By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real facts about PS3 and 360 processing power

Following a number of “technical” posts relating to whether the PS3 or 360 were better graphically, I have comprised a list of links and quotes from various gaming sites.  I felt that this was a better way to judge the performance of these two consoles to ensure that everyone comprehends factual information.  I tried to shy away from any direct information from Sony and Microsoft and looked to get objective information. 

Hopefully this will clear up any objective opinions you have.  Also remember, these are not my words!

Article 1: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p3.html

The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.”

“Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.”Sony's CPU is ideal for an environment where 12.5% of the work is general-purpose computing and 87.5% of the work is DSP calculations. That sort of mix makes sense for video playback or networked waveform analysis, but not for games.”

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.”

“Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360's (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.”

“When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.”

Article 2: http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

“On paper, the Playstation 3’s Cell engine is more capable than XBOX 360’s triple-core Xenon CPU. However, as our developer alluded to last year, the XBOX 360 is much easier to develop for. In other words, a lot of the Cell’s power is going to waste”

“The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3.”

Xenos simply has more power - higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture.”

Article 3: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/06/10/xbox_360_better_because_its_unified.html

“The PS3 does appear to have a huge amount of CPU power with the seven Cell cores. The problem they have is that CPU power isn’t really what developer’s need – the bottleneck is really the graphics. Everybody is going multi-threaded and multi-core – the Xbox 360 has three PowerPC cores, AMD and Intel both have dual-core chips, so everyone is having to learn how to write this stuff. But writing multi-threaded apps for two or three cores is difficult. Doing it for seven separate cores, when the main core has a slightly different feature-set from the other six, is very, very difficult.”

Around the Network

ummmm....

if the bottleneck is the graphics,

then how do u explain uncharted and mgs4....

ill just leave

I'm tired of posting Picard facepalm pictures...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I guess the point is they both have they're respective properties and can't be compared too well?

Idunno.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Look at the Sony keynote where dev after dev talks about their folly with the PS3 originally when they used only the core processor and had a hard time. Then they talk about how they started using the synergistic processors for more and more and it tore through all the extra data. The problem with saying the processors for the 360 are better because there are 3 of them is that there are 8 processors in the PS3, they just weren't being fully utilized in the past. As they are utilized more fully there will be a vast increase in quality (as seen in MGS4).

You can also create graphics using the cell processors. Look at a great Nilheim (possibly spelled wrong) tech demo intel ran where they used an 8 core processor to make incredible real time graphics (not prerendered) on the fly with NO GPU. When splitting up the tasks better the PS3 is far more capable, yes harder to dev for, but far more capable when used correctly.

Its not like 8+ core machines aren't the future anyway, so its not a waste to learn to use multi core systems for gaming.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Why are all of these done in smaller writing?

Also, I forgot, you could probably find another 10 articles saying the PS3 is better, you have just chosen ones that support your idea

No! seriously not again, I'm going to go read a book. I am sick and tired of all these rediculous comparisms.

PSN - Kratos0518

Yea! the 360 is more powerful because I read it on the INTERNET.

PSN - Kratos0518

Keep it to one thread please.