By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - August looks like a key month for the Xbox360, MS rises or falls here.

Too Human is going to be another Haze, albeit with better graphics. It is an average game at most. I don't know why it has been billed as AAA.

Consoles Owned: XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP.

Around the Network

Tales of Vesperia won't sell a lot WW - in Japan 360 doesn't exist, in Europe the game is being released in 2009. NA is not enough for it.

I'm betting it falls

Feel free to add me as your friend-PSN ID: Bobo012893

ultraslick said:

i can't believe it has almost been a year since halo 3 came out.
I disagree with the entire thread though.

Even if Microsoft is "falling" it will be hard to notice with the price cut/cuts, Madden, and all of these RPG's.

We won't know if the 360 is a failure until next year if Microsoft can somehow keep their head above water. And with all these games, I think they will barely be able to do it.

Based on game sales the system is already a success.  It's too bad that Microsoft isn't doing what Sony is with the PS3 (losing a ton of money by selling the console at a loss), if they did that the 360 would bury the PS3.

On another note where are all these new idiot trolls coming from?  Did the FF13 announcement really cause that much panic that the Sony Defence Force is launching a major FUD offensive?

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I think August will be like every month before it this year... 360 coming in last.

While the 360 is the RPG console this gen, it's not what sells 360's. FPS's is what sells 360's, and the game that will move most of them, is Gears 2 in november.

I don't think August means much. Honestly, I don't think anything does any more. There is enough of each console in the market to warrant games for all. This generation will not see a dominant winner. They all will win.

Sadly, the more each console does well, the more hate there is on this site. It's becoming a war zone for fanboys. I hate it.

The shooter market has already been tapped though, how much of the hardcore shooter market is left without a console after the Xbox360 and the PS3s showing last year?

They have a greater apeal to - Women, RPG games - Viva Pinata/Lips/Rock band/Banjo are all good games for this segment. Mrstickballs girlfriend is a prime example.

Children - Viva games/Banjo + RPG games are pretty decent in this segment, ok its not hot but its there.

RPG fans obviously - There are a decent number of those, perhaps not as many as FPS fans but I don't see this market as anywhere near close to being tapped out, so theres some potential here.

The question is - can they reach into the hearts and minds of these people and increase their sales organicly or are they going to be forced to be the "cheapest" console just to get people to buy it?

no 360 will never sell to the outside "Hardcore" market. it will sell well but the ps3 and wii will sell more. i dont see it having a greater appeal to women or children because that of course is the wii.

One or 2 games will not change how people view a system. Xbox has shooters, playstation is playstation, and wii is for everyone. It will take years for microsoft to change how people view it and they know this thats why they didnt  show halo at E3.

Also 360s biggest game this year is gears of war 2 (another shooter)

So with all these games people will still be looking at other systems for their "casual" fix.

When you say the "shooter market has been tapped" i laugh because FPS has been around for ages... its not gonna stop now. This year one of the highest selling games will be a FPS or shooter (GOW2, resistance 2). And everyone knows all eyes are on Call of duty. Even if people dont buy new systems for FPS they will by the games and GOW2 and resistance 2 will sell at least 2 million in USA alone.

The Shooter market is one of if not the biggest genre gaming has (besides sports)

Around the Network

Rising only August shouldn't have so much an effect, it's really a dead month for anything that isn't outdoor and vacation related (*). A September rise could be just better for them.

(*) Unless, naturally, MS isn't planning to release right now a portable waterproof XB360 to be used at sea, maybe underwater with goggles or diving mask and snorkel

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It is... But Holiday 08 is the most critical Holiday for XBOX 360 life span then next is PS3 and lastly Wii.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Dno said:
Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I think August will be like every month before it this year... 360 coming in last.

While the 360 is the RPG console this gen, it's not what sells 360's. FPS's is what sells 360's, and the game that will move most of them, is Gears 2 in november.

I don't think August means much. Honestly, I don't think anything does any more. There is enough of each console in the market to warrant games for all. This generation will not see a dominant winner. They all will win.

Sadly, the more each console does well, the more hate there is on this site. It's becoming a war zone for fanboys. I hate it.

The shooter market has already been tapped though, how much of the hardcore shooter market is left without a console after the Xbox360 and the PS3s showing last year?

They have a greater apeal to - Women, RPG games - Viva Pinata/Lips/Rock band/Banjo are all good games for this segment. Mrstickballs girlfriend is a prime example.

Children - Viva games/Banjo + RPG games are pretty decent in this segment, ok its not hot but its there.

RPG fans obviously - There are a decent number of those, perhaps not as many as FPS fans but I don't see this market as anywhere near close to being tapped out, so theres some potential here.

The question is - can they reach into the hearts and minds of these people and increase their sales organicly or are they going to be forced to be the "cheapest" console just to get people to buy it?

no 360 will never sell to the outside "Hardcore" market. it will sell well but the ps3 and wii will sell more. i dont see it having a greater appeal to women or children because that of course is the wii.

One or 2 games will not change how people view a system. Xbox has shooters, playstation is playstation, and wii is for everyone. It will take years for microsoft to change how people view it and they know this thats why they didnt  show halo at E3.

Also 360s biggest game this year is gears of war 2 (another shooter)

So with all these games people will still be looking at other systems for their "casual" fix.

When you say the "shooter market has been tapped" i laugh because FPS has been around for ages... its not gonna stop now. This year one of the highest selling games will be a FPS or shooter (GOW2, resistance 2). And everyone knows all eyes are on Call of duty. Even if people dont buy new systems for FPS they will by the games and GOW2 and resistance 2 will sell at least 2 million in USA alone.

The Shooter market is one of if not the biggest genre gaming has (besides sports)

I don't get the playstation is playstation comment.  Is that because you can't find any reasons why the PS3 should do better than the 360 besides Sony coasting on their brandname?  I mean you slam the 360 for it's biggest game being a shooter while the PS3 has the same thing.  In fact could you give a reason why the PS3 should appeal to casuals or any particular group more than the 360?

when gears 2 comes out the 360 will out sell the wii for a week

but august will be a decent moth for the 360

toastboy44562 said:
when gears 2 comes out the 360 will out sell the wii for a week

but august will be a decent moth for the 360

Oh lord. Gears 2 is gonna move consoles like Halo 3.

Sales are gonna be abnormaly high.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.