By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Wii really competing with PS360?

Anyone who defends that they are not in competition can spin and manipulate the facts as much as they want but the fact still remains that the PRIMARY function of the wii, 360, ps3 is to play games so YES FOR GOD SAKE they are in competition with each other. Nintendo has made VIDEO GAMES AND VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS for the last 24 years. They are called the big 3 "nintendo, sony, microsoft" because they are the viedo game system manufactures. I honestly can not beleive that someone would think that the nintendo wii is not in competition with the ps3 and 360.... Iam sick of this debate so the gloves are coming off! If you honestly think that the nintindo wii is not in competition with the 360 and ps3 u are RETARDED. They are game systems and hey guess what, Nintindo's main source "and really only source" of income is video games while sony and microsoft have other venues of income so to say that one of them "especially the wii" is not in competition in the video game market with the other 2 competitors is just ridiculous!

My PSN Name is:  EvilChronos    add me if u want :)

END OF GENERATION PREDICTIONS  "9-21-08"

PS3=130M     360=90M     Wii=120M     DS=130M     PSP=70M

Other Prediction: The PS3 will overtake the 360 XMAS of 09  "9-21-08"

Around the Network

Complimentary products are things you buy together, like toothpaste and toothbrushes. The defining characteristic of complimentary products is that if there is an increase in the sales of one, its compliment will also see an increase in sales.

However if there is a sales increase in the Wii, it certainly does not lead to increases in sales of PS3 and 360, or vice versa. Consumers have unlimited wants, but only limited resources. Thus the consumer will have to make a choice, and Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are competing for that consumer's business.

The only thing that has no relevance is actually arguing with you over this obvious subject, as well as any other topic you come up with to somehow downgrade the Wii.

Not to mention that your level of debating is somewhat.........below satisfactory.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

They're winning too hard to call it competition.

Shameless said:
HappySqurriel said:
Shameless said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Was the Ps2 in competition with the XB/GCN? If yes, look at it like this:

2001 sales for all last gen consoles: 20.6M
2006 sales are fairly similar, they are: 8.4M for Ps360

2002 sales: 32.3M
2007 sales: 16M

2003 sales: 30.3M
2008 sales: lined up to be ~ 25M maximum.

So realistically, either lots of people have just stopped buying consoles, or the Wii is in direct competition with Ps360.

The Wii has created an environment specifically for the 'casual' gamers of the Playstation generation - they have migrated away from the 'hardcore' tendencies of the PS360. It is also a question of money and affordability.

Do Sony and Microsoft want these gamers to buy their systems?
If the answer is yes, then the systems are in direct competition ...

Your question is irrelevant. A radio company wants music lovers to buy their radios but they are not competing with CD player companies.

A more appropriate comparison would be a conventional MP3 player vs. an iPod ...

Being that the iPod came to market with an inovative user interface, unconventional features (built in hard-drive), and many people considered a conventional MP3 player to be a better value for the money didn't prevent the iPod from (essentially) take over the entire market and kill off the conventional MP3 player.

Around the Network

Are there any sites that will actually discuss things like this without being swarmed by butthurt Wii fans that claim I'm 'discounting the Wii's success' or some other bullshit? This community is turning into an awful clone of Gamefaqs. It's a total struggle to make a point or have a reasonable discussion within the sea of ignorance.

Shameless said:

Are there any sites that will actually discuss things like this without being swarmed by butthurt Wii fans that claim I'm 'discounting the Wii's success' or some other bullshit? This community is turning into an awful clone of Gamefaqs.

People generally attack poor arguments that are posted by users who are generally biased against something ...

Shameless said:
azrm2k said:

It's so sad that some people continue to bring this up.  The correct answer is no.

The Wii is not competing with PS360.

It's annihilating them.

Get over it already and just accept that even though the Wii isn't your type of gaming doesn't make it irrelevant.  It is still directly competing with the PS3 and 360 regardless of what MS/Sony/Nintendo PR says.  As long as consumers are choosing Wiis over PS360 you can't pretend it's not "really competing" with them.

This thread is about the market, fanboy crap is not interesting.

Maybe you should stop posting then cos all your posts are full of fanboy crap.

Shameless said:

Are there any sites that will actually discuss things like this without being swarmed by butthurt Wii fans that claim I'm 'discounting the Wii's success' or some other bullshit? This community is turning into an awful clone of Gamefaqs. It's a total struggle to make a point or have a reasonable discussion within the sea of ignorance.

I think part of the problem was the phrasing of your initial question. Most people interpreted it as "Is the wii competing or with PS360 or not?" when the issue is not so black and white. It should really be asking "to what degree is the wii competing with PS360?".

Be honest. You have no interest in a reasonable discussion, and in any case it's debatable whether you're capable of one.