By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Jack Tretton says "PS3 4 million behind 360"

Ofcourse it mean shipped but is this posible that Sony shipped 3.5 million 2nd quarter?

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Its probably a rounded shipped number.

In other words:

1) Jack T knows Microsoft has said 360 = 20.3m shipped through June 30, 2008

2) He knows what Sony has shipped through June 30, 2008 but not quite exactly since it isn't public info until July 29

Logically, I'd bet PS3 is at 15.8m shipped or so through June 30, so with rounding, its not a terrible figure/statement

4.5 as shipped is much more closer estimate. Also to hit 16.3 million they would have had to ship 3.45 million in the quarter, nu uh. I've heard from multple people as well they have totally stopped shipping the 40gb to US retailers weeks ago. As others have stated however, 4.7-4.8 million is probably more accurate.

Stats87 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ioi said:
16.5m PS3s shipped is entirely possible

You heard it here first.

Jack Tretton could be telling the truth... Who knew!?

I've also found Tretton to be a pretty honest guy and usually gives it to you straight. (compartively at least)

That's true.

He also seems the only one to show emotion during e3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Stats87 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ioi said:
16.5m PS3s shipped is entirely possible

You heard it here first.

Jack Tretton could be telling the truth... Who knew!?

I've also found Tretton to be a pretty honest guy and usually gives it to you straight. (compartively at least)

That's true.

He also seems the only one to show emotion during e3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Tretton is just rouding things in Sony's favour. You can't expect him to give precise figures in that context.
PS3 Q2 sales have not been tremendously different from Q1 sales when they sold 2.26m units.
So even considering the extra sales due to MGS4 all over the world it's unlikely they have been able to ship more than 2.8-3m units.
Thus making the LTD shipments about 15.6 to 15.8 units. That is 4.5m to 4.7m behind the 360 which Jack rounded to 4m :D

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Shipped, Rounding, PR.

Ding Ding! We have a winner.

08' Year End Predictions

Wii: 46 Million
Xbox 360:
26 Million

PS3: 22 Million

Sale Predictions:

Gears Of War 2 - 7 Million
Fable 2 - 3 Million
Left 4 Dead - 1.5 Million
Infinite Undiscovery - 700k
Tales Of Vesperia - 550k
The Last Remnant - 700k
Ninja Gaiden - 800k LTD [?] On its way.
Banjo-Kazooie N&B - 2 Million
Lost Odyssey - 500k LTD [X] surpassed
Too Human - 1.4 Million

They will have shipped more than last quarter due to MGS4 bundles and such.... It will also be rounding down the difference no doubt.

The worst spin possible with this statement is if they rounded the MS figure to 20mil, and rounded their own figure up to 16 mil (from 15.5/15.6)

My bet would be they just stopped short of 16 mil shipped at 15.9 or so.

And if they are stopping the 40G in USA they might have tried to empty stock of it last quarter too.

TWRoO said:
And if they are stopping the 40G in USA they might have tried to empty stock of it last quarter too.

This. (maybe.) Makes sense to me.

ps3 is gonna have one crazy ass holiday season!