By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's E3 strategy!

Nintendo loves to produce peripherals, because there is a lot of money to be had in peripherals. That is about as far as the strategy goes. Your looking too deeply at something that isn't there. On the point of denying technology to others all Nintendo peripherals are based on existing concepts or technology. Nintendo isn't so much inventing them as applying them. That said if they can do it then so can the other guy.

I honestly think it is a poor strategy in the long term. While in the short term it makes Nintendo money. The problem is that eventually it antagonizes consumers and third parties. Which usually results in a loss of faith. How easily we forget the disasters like the 64DD, Super Scope, Power Pad, Four Score, and the ram upgrade module. When you shovel out peripherals your going to burn a lot of people when it becomes apparent that they were unnecessary.

Around the Network

^^(@Dodece)

The ram upgrade module? For the N64, right? The one you needed to play DK64 and Perfect Dark? How was that a disaster?

It was a pack in that cost me nothing to own anyway. I don't see the problem.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Yeah, the upgrade actually did help some games and give the 64 a boost in graphical power and tech

And cmon!?!?!?!!?!

The super scope was a bad idea????

Although I will say it seems that nintendo has seen so many failures that they are pushing the peripherals this time around that make sense
- Zapper mark 2(zapper mark one came with duck hunt, and did we have a problem with that??? NO!!!)
- balance board to get even more motion involved, and snowboarding
- motion + so that all of us who bought red steel may finally get what we were looking for

Seems to be they know what they are doing, but as with all things time will tell

Someone here saw the video on Malstrom's website about Blackberry vs Nokia? Nokia's mistake was to think Blackberry was too simple, not a threat, in other words: a toy.

I think Nintendo has been planning the Wii Motion Plus since the beginning but intentionally didn't include it. Why? The Wii Mote while revolutionary is not perfect. Microsoft and Sony would see its flaws and think about it as a toy. This would give Nintendo time to plan their strategy and gain momentum, and when competitors realize their mistake it'd be too late.

On the other hand, if Motion Plus had launched since the first day, Microsoft and Sony would have seen the potential and a real threat, and will have already copy it.

I'm sure Nintendo thought Microsoft and Sony will copy the Wiimote sooner or later, and Wii Motion Plus is the counter move. Didn't happen on E3 as all rumors indicated, but that doesn't mean it will not happen.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:

Someone here saw the video on Malstrom's website about Blackberry vs Nokia? Nokia's mistake was to think Blackberry was too simple, not a threat, in other words: a toy.

I think Nintendo has been planning the Wii Motion Plus since the beginning but intentionally didn't include it. Why? The Wii Mote while revolutionary is not perfect. Microsoft and Sony would see its flaws and think about it as a toy. This would give Nintendo time to plan their strategy and gain momentum, and when competitors realize their mistake it'd be too late.

On the other hand, if Motion Plus had launched since the first day, Microsoft and Sony would have seen the potential and a real threat, and will have already copy it.

I'm sure Nintendo thought Microsoft and Sony will copy the Wiimote sooner or later, and Wii Motion Plus is the counter move. Didn't happen on E3 as all rumors indicated, but that doesn't mean it will not happen.

According to GamesIndustry.biz a new controller with advanced 6-axis technology. The rip off 360 motion controller and the Sony one are bound to come out next generation. But with Nintendo having held back on motionplus it gives Microsoft and Sony fewer years to rip off the new technology.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer