By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3,PS2 passes 140 million units !

Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony’s PlayStation games console business, has set an ambitious target of reaching nearly 150m in sales for its slow-starting PlayStation 3 console.

Sony told those attending the video game industry’s E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale.

Steering Sony’s loss-making games unit into profitability is Mr Hirai’s most pressing task. The massive costs of investing in the games console, which is equipped with a Blu-ray player and the powerful “Cell” chip, means that Sony is still incurring a loss on every PS3 sold.

Mr Hirai, in a Financial Times interview, said his aim was for the PS3 to surpass sales of the PS2 over a similar time period.

“It’s not fun for me replicating the PS2 numbers. I’ve seen that movie already,” he said.

“I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?”

Twenty months after the PS3’s release, the console is barely 10 per cent towards his target. Sales to the end of Sony’s fiscal year in March were 12.85m and it expects to sell another 10m in the current fiscal year.

The PS3 has trailed Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Nintendo’s Wii in sales. PS3 sales have picked up this year and it outsold the 360 in the US in June by nearly two-to-one, helped by the release of its exclusive title, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Peter Moore, who headed Microsoft’s Xbox business until joining Electronic Arts a year ago, said that while Nintendo and now Microsoft are profitable, and Sony is catching up, the Wii is winning the console wars.

“It looks to me as if the Wii is going to have at least half the installed base of the overall industry and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to fight over the balance, based on the run-rates we’re seeing,” he told the FT.

Michael Pachter, video games analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities, said he expected PS3 sales would accelerate if Sony could cut the price significantly from the current $400.

“It’s highly likely that when the PS3 gets below $200, it will sell as well as the PS2.”

LINK:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c46ad2e-5678-11dd-8686-000077b07658,dwp_uuid=e8477cc4-c820-11db-b0dc-000b5df10621.html

Around the Network

Definitely plausible that this will happen in the PS3's ten year life span.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

the ps3 could of actually sold more than the ps2 given its fanbase, however it needs to drop 200 dollars now in order to achieve the ps2's success lol

@DogWeed

agree

PS3 150M

Xbox360 100M

Wii 250M

MARK THESE NUMBERS

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Of course it would need to drop its price to achieve such a lofty goal.
And it will, when Sony is ready for it to drop.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

does that mean it will be a 20 year cycle instead of 10 lol.

If the PS3 can reach 150M, the Wii can reach 300M

who said anything about wii or 360 ??????

PS3 will never reach the PS2 im afraid....forget market growth, the competition is too fierce

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot