By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony ditches B/C in order to keep PS2 alive...

@dolemit3

lol...i already own a PS2(who doesn't)....i wouldn't buy a bc PS3...simple

Around the Network

Yeah, it makes sense. I never owned a PS2 but wanted to play God of War 2, so BC was a must for me.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

No PS2? wat?

A PS2 is like 15 bucks around my way so it's a non issue.

dolemit3 said:
The PS2 is already dying. In Japan it is consistently below the PS3 and in the US there are only a few multiplatform releases (GH4, Madden, NCAA) that will keep the thing alive a little longer. Two more years max, imo.

How is the PS2 selling between 7-10mil units this year dieing. And only a couple multiplatform titles, lol.  The PS2 is getting 130 games this year.

Around the Network

Well it saves them money on the PS3 and they gain extra money by selling more ps2 systems. PS2 software should be the same, with BC or not.

Sony wants to keep the PS2 alive so that developers are lazy and keep making titles for the PS2 and Wii (the latter by porting the former).

That way, the quality of the product of the competition is compromised.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

hmm... nice way of putting it mike
never thought about it that way

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Regardless, it seems as if the PS2 is cannibalizing sales from the PS3. Just how much, and what the balance is between maximizing cash flow for the entire gaming division at Sony, is unknown.

weaveworld said:

Just a theory i just thought off, and i probably won't be the first.

As long as the PS3's aren't Backwards Compatible, the PS2 remains as an affordable console with a very very large gamebase. This way the lifecycle of the Ps2 will be stretched with at least a few years. With the current announcements at E3 it looks like sony wants to be a big player with 3 consoles/handhelds on the market...

Is this Sony's business strategy, or do they really have to keep the production costs of the ps3 low?

I'd say, very smart move, certainly since ps3 is slowly gaining ground and the ps2 is still selling very well.

(although personally i haven't bought a ps3 yet because of the lack of BC here in Europe)

I think you have that backwards, Sony wants you buying PS3 games for your PS3, not playing PS2 games you already own on it.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"