By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If all consoles were priced at $250

ps3 wins the console war hands down, but they arent getting a huge trophy for having the most sales, and they will go bankrupt. this is the main reason why ps3 is selling less than wii, price.

Around the Network

If all console was priced at 250$ then the ps3 will be the best choice for the money I am spending.

Wii:FC 8542-6809-7276-6787

GT: Lordragoon 

If all consoles were $250, then not only would Sony have eaten through all the profit from the PS2 era, but they would also have eaten through all the profits from the PS1 era (assuming, of course, that they sold the exact same numbers of consoles)

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Rock_on_2008 said:
RolStoppable said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
noname2200 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

I created this thread to see what is the best dollar for dollar value for each console. What is the best way to see it - hypothetically price them at the same price.

Um...sorry, you lost me here. Isn't that one of the worst ways to measure per-dollar value...?

So how would you do it then? Please suggest another way of comparing all three consoles.

The frontpage of VGC.

Sales numbers only mean something when you have no games to talk about. PS3 has the best games, PS3 has the best graphics, PS3 has free online, PS3 has the best future of games, PS3 has Blu-Ray. I would even take a bullet for Sony. PS3 is my life.

Woah Woah, Woah,. I love Sony and all but no company is worth your life

The cost of something and the value of something are two completely seperate concepts that many individuals and corporations often get confused. Now, using a simple ecconomics model that most people learn in introductory microecconomics classes ... (for simplicity, we will be assuming that supply will be uneffected)

Every product in our ecconomy has a relationship between the quantity demanded of the product and the price the product sells for that is expressed by the following (basic) graph:

As a product increases in price the quantity demanded for that product decreases until it eventually hits the vertical axis with 0 demand, in contrast as the product decreases in price the quantity demanded for that product increases until it hits the horizontal axis at a point where everyone who has a use for the product will own one.

Now, when you add components and features to a product you're (probably) shifting the demand curve upwards and therefore increase the quantity demanded at every price, and if you're removing components and features to a product you're (probably) shifting the demand curve downwards and therefore decreasing the quantity demanded at every price.

Now you can best describe the "Value" of a component as the relationship between how much adding the component to the product shifts the demand curve upwards and how much the inclusion of the component increases the price of the product; in general this will be immediately obvious because it will represent itself as a change in the quantity demaded for the product based on the inclusion or exclusion of a component.

Basically, the Wii's "Low Tech" hardware and Wiimote is a far better value for most customers that the HD consoles "High Tech" hardware and conventional controllers.

Around the Network

PS3 best buy. But also.... SONY would lose major cash............

4 ≈ One

if all were release the same day and were at 250$
well sony would be all over the top again.

ps3 wins.. obviously.

Check out my game about moles ^

Best , PS3
Worst , WII

, of course? Anyway you can get two X360 arcades for one PS3 here and even then you will pay a bit less than buying one PS3. ;)

I totally agree with you, and have applied your logic to a subset of other cases.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=34420