By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 successor to be called ...?

halogamer1989 said:

Due to Japanese superstition of the number 4--"shi" pronounced as death and all--will SONY ditch the PS4 name for something else or will biz strategy outweigh superstition?  Sony would benefit from the extra number as a 1 up from other consoles aka 360 vs PS3 early naming game.  Although Japanese biz and culture is inextricablly intertwined so idk.  Thoughts?

What do they call MGS4, Resident Evil 4, GT4, Devil May Cry 4, (etc.) in Japan?

Around the Network
rager1969 said:
halogamer1989 said:

Due to Japanese superstition of the number 4--"shi" pronounced as death and all--will SONY ditch the PS4 name for something else or will biz strategy outweigh superstition?  Sony would benefit from the extra number as a 1 up from other consoles aka 360 vs PS3 early naming game.  Although Japanese biz and culture is inextricablly intertwined so idk.  Thoughts?

What do they call MGS4, Resident Evil 4, GT4, Devil May Cry 4, (etc.) in Japan?

They pronounce it in English or atleast they try.

GameSphere

They say "tsuu" for two and "surii" for three, so they don't use their own names for the numbers when it comes to Playstation. It's going to Playstation foo (four).

Edit: Actually, I can't think of a single game where they use the japanese pronounciation for the numbers. They always use the english one, most likely to escape this superstition.

homestation

Around the Network

Pii

I still think it will be PS4

@ironmanDX
thats from Drake and josh be more creative like Playstation unleashed

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

IF it isn't PS4, it won't be because of this reason. As I said, they use the english pronounciation for the numbers.

"What? Playstation Shi? OH SHI-"

SW-5120-1900-6153