By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: Full Installation of Games to Take 10 Minutes, -30% Load Times

mrstickball said:
60GB will cost under $100. Rumored at $99 with extra XBL stuff.

slime - No one has said that it'll hurt the PS3. Just that this makes the whole installation issue vastly in favor of the Xbox 360.

theprof - It's kind of hard for a console to be near the end of it's life if it's successor hasn't been announced, nor is planned to be announced for another 2+ years, no?

No, it doesn't. It makes it the same for both the PS3 and the 360. The ONLY advantage to doing this is that now you don't have to listen to the 360's disc drive screaming like a 747 powering up for takeoff. You still have to wait for the game to install. This is the same as the PS3 except that the whole game is installing. Other than the disc drive stopping, this will do nothing but bring the game's load times down to the level that you see on modern PS3 games. If you think installing a game to the HDD will eliminate load times entirely, you are wrong. (try playing a few PC games) This feature is not going to bring the 360 significantly ahead of the PS3 because most newer PS3 games already have very low load times and the disc drive was never an issue for PS3 owners. It will give the 360 a slight advantage because load times will be lower than the PS3, but not by an incredible amount. I'm not trying to troll, but I think a lot of people are getting waay too excited about this feature. It will be nice, but it's not going to shift the balance of power very much, if at all.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

Man, this is only for 60/120 GB HDD owners really but I really dont feel like upgrading.

Its a nice feature though. Especially the noise cutdown and the fact that its OPTIONAL.

Im sure as a PS3 owner, Id rather have it optional. Imagine this feature for MGS4. There would be no installations during every start of every Act.

Sony Fanboys again and again.

• You have to install almost every game on the PS3
  • This won't reduce load times significantly
  • You have the option, if you like to install on the 360 or not.
  • This will reduce load times significantly

THIS IS PS3-ADVANTAGE !!!111

I just don't get, why people can't say something good about another console. The PS3 is not my console of choice, but I don't say, that everything that comes with the it is bad. I can say it is reliable, it is quiet and not every game on it sucks. Why is there no Sony fan saying: "Hey, this option to install whether u like it or not is a good idea." or "the Netflix-deal sounds pretty cool" Believe me guys, it won't hurt you in any way.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

So, I will bale to choose between playing right now or ripping the image to play from the hdd, lower load times, almost no use of the optical media (Less chances to scracth the dvd)... sounds good...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Retrasado said:
mrstickball said:

slime - No one has said that it'll hurt the PS3. Just that this makes the whole installation issue vastly in favor of the Xbox 360.

theprof - It's kind of hard for a console to be near the end of it's life if it's successor hasn't been announced, nor is planned to be announced for another 2+ years, no?

No, it doesn't. It makes it the same for both the PS3 and the 360. The ONLY advantage to doing this is that now you don't have to listen to the 360's disc drive screaming like a 747 powering up for takeoff. You still have to wait for the game to install. This is the same as the PS3 except that the whole game is installing. Other than the disc drive stopping, this will do nothing but bring the game's load times down to the level that you see on modern PS3 games. If you think installing a game to the HDD will eliminate load times entirely, you are wrong. (try playing a few PC games) This feature is not going to bring the 360 significantly ahead of the PS3 because most newer PS3 games already have very low load times and the disc drive was never an issue for PS3 owners. It will give the 360 a slight advantage because load times will be lower than the PS3, but not by an incredible amount. I'm not trying to troll, but I think a lot of people are getting waay too excited about this feature. It will be nice, but it's not going to shift the balance of power very much, if at all.

Ok. Lets compare installations on both systems:

Xbox 360 Playstation 3
Optional Installation Mandatory Installation
-30% Load Time on All Games Unknown Benefits of Installation
Fastest Installation on all Games Installation Speed Varies by Game
Reduced Noise No Benefit
Reduced Wear & Tear on DVD No Benefit
4+ GB Installation Variable Installation

Now, maybe it's me, but having the OPTION on ALL GAMES to have a superior playing experience will always trump possible, and/or unknown benefits that are forced upon me, if I was a PS3 gamer. The only disadvantage of the X360 install is that your doing a full install, therefore more memory is taken up. Outside of this, the X360's installation procedure will be universally better. Every multi-platform game that has required mandatory installations on the PS3 have seen only a slight increase in preformance: I can only wonder what the advantage would be if a user installed the same game onto their Xbox 360.

Sony should adopt this strategy too, I think. Although the installation times and memory it takes up would be substantially higher than the X360, and maybe have slower load times (due to the fact that the same game will most likely take up more memory, therefore requiring longer access times), it's still a better idea than forcing you to do something.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

im going to love this update, my 360 will be just as quiet as my ps3

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

I assume you'll still require the disc in the 360 to actually play the game, otherwise developers could lose a lot of money from people who go to Blockbuster rent several games, install them and return them.

Chris - As mentioned in the OP, yes, your 100% right.

You will still need a disc in to validate you own the game. However, if it's a multiple-CD game (such as Final Fantasy XIII, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon), you will only need 1 DVD, and shouldn't need to switch discs.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

theprof00 said:
mrstickball said:

I was kinda trolling kinda not.

360 sales are way down and now they are adopting install. Soon the 360 will have every feature the ps3 has, and the fanboys won't know what to say. In any case next 360 should be out by 2010.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that i just got a 500 GB drive for my ps3 for 99$

actually, according to NPD June 2008, the sales are exactly where they were 1 year ago.

Last year:

Hardware sales:

• DS - 561,900
  • Wii - 381,800
  • PSP - 230,100
  • Xbox 360 - 198,400
  • Playstation 3 - 98,500

This year:

1. Nintendo DS, 783,000 sales
  2. Nintendo Wii, 666,700 sales
  3. PlayStation 3, 405,500 sales
  4. PlayStation Portable, 337,400 sales
  5. Xbox 360, 219,800 sales
  6. PlayStation 2, 188,800 sales

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

DirtyP2002 said:

Sony Fanboys again and again.

• You have to install almost every game on the PS3
  • This won't reduce load times significantly
  • You have the option, if you like to install on the 360 or not.
  • This will reduce load times significantly

THIS IS PS3-ADVANTAGE !!!111

I just don't get, why people can't say something good about another console. The PS3 is not my console of choice, but I don't say, that everything that comes with the it is bad. I can say it is reliable, it is quiet and not every game on it sucks. Why is there no Sony fan saying: "Hey, this option to install whether u like it or not is a good idea." or "the Netflix-deal sounds pretty cool" Believe me guys, it won't hurt you in any way.

I am a Sony fan, and I have said, and still think all those options of the 360 are awesome. I am very glad it's there. Where I take issue, is now when the 360 has installs, it's all the sudden a great thing. When it was just on the PS3, it was the dumbest thing ever done in console gaming.

Now because they are being hypocritical, there only saving grace is to cling onto the "mandatory" angle. Funny how that was never there main arguing point as to why not to do it.

Anyway, so no. I have no problems with the options. I think they are great! It's the fanboys I have a problem with :)