By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats so "fun" about the wii?

I think I'm going to start replacing the word "fun" with "wii" from now on, that would be wiiny.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

A lot of tomatoe tomaatoe and apples and oranges, COD4 is in no way Wii Sports.

I love to play RPGS but I hate Sports games... hmm now let's compare them, I find RPGS like Final Fantasy Tactics fun because of the deep story and simplfied manner of getting from point a to be, Madden doesn't interest me.

As far as I'm concerned the OP is way off on comparisons, and asking or demanding others stop saying the Wii is fun when they are having fun with the Wii is like me asking you to stop saying CoD4 or LOD is fun because I hated and had no fun at all with LoD and I had much much more and am having much much more fun with Zelda: Twilight Princess. Just suck it up and submitt to he saying: "to each their own."
As someone else pointed out. it's just that more people find the Wii "fun" or a fun experience.

PS2 isn't great, it's a piece of hardware that plays games on a television, yet people say it's great all the time. I understand it's probably due to FUD but I died a little inside knowing some people still feel that way.

Of course I patched my bike so I'm going riding - fresh air and hot women should take my mind off... will take my mind off... what was I saying?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

What you say is fun and what other people say is fun, can be two completely different things.

Its just a matter of opinion.

Well one day as they were throwing paper balls at me, i stabbed one of the fat bullys in the eye with a pencil and used his body to manuever through the others as i pelted rocks at them one by one, soon after i threw each and every one of their bodies off a building, and put their heads on staffs, to show the world.

MK Wii friend Code 0688-5391-5318

I don't Know really, it must be beacuse I like playing alone(zelda,metroid SMG etc etc ) and that I like playing with friends and family( Wii sports, Brawl, Kart, GH3 etc etc)

Now answer me this: what's so fun playing the PS3 or Xbox360???

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Pristine20 said:
allthehoneys said:

What's so fun about the [insert your favorite console here]?

Seriously, if you want to be a schmuck please continue asking stupid questions. You even address the answer in your post. Just because you grow tired of something or don't find it enjoyable doesn't make it so for the vast majority of others.  FFS, do you go around asking everyone you meet who says they're having fun to justify why it's fun for them and not for you?

If the question was so stupid, why did you bother answering it? A stupid answer to a stupid question, makes for a tie.

I asked the question because the wii has become a synonym for "fun" in gaming lexicon so someone had to clarify things. The point of the post is that everyone's console is "fun" to them so the wii should learn to share the term but you couldn't read between the lines...thats your own shortcoming.

Do you see an answer to his question anywhere in my post?  If you do, you're seeing things.

Around the Network

I own a Wii and I never play it, XBox 360 and PC (even PS3 if I owned one) are just much more appealing to my gaming tastes.

It is "fun" for casual gamers and a younger audience.  Dont expect Nintendo to have the same success with a similar console in the future.  Many "casual gamers" I know who bought a Wii lose interest with it over time, so they wont rush out and pick up a Wii 2 for themselves next generation.  The younger audience will always be there, though, as will Nintendo fans.

I like to compare the original Nintendo with Wii, it was a huge fad sucess when the gaming industry was floundering, but Super Nintendo, N64, and Gamecube showed a continued decline in sales as past Nintendo customers either went elsewhere (Playstation, XBox, PC) or simply didnt participate in later generations.

Soriku said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:

OK...you like RPGs right? Why not wait for RPGs on the Wii like Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Little King Story (sim/RPG), etc. instead of just playing Wii Sports and going "This game isn't for me!"

Thing is, I have a 60gb ps3 and a backlog of old RPGs to play! I'd actually rather play old RPGs than the ones on wii because I'm used to the PS controller (and resistant to change lol) and there isn't much of a graphical improvement to spike my interest. The 360 maybe, but it doesn't have nearly as much to compete with the games I've had to skip the last 2 gens.

If you still paly old RPGs then why would you care about a "graphical enhancement"? It's not like the Wii's RPGs look bad. Also, who cares if you're not used to the controller? Play it for some time and you'll eventually get used to it the same way as ANY other controller. Actually give the Wii a decent chance and actually play it for some time (not Wii Sports, the genres you actually like) instead of writing it off and asking "Why is it fun?"

listen to Soriku, most of you Wii haters out there have enever even TRIED the Wii (by that I mean actual games you would like...not Wiisports)

and as for Wii being called fun: ANYONE playing the Wii unbiased would enjoy it at least a little

as for you, who hates the way nintendo is going, you won't like playing WIi sports

but anyone who tries with an open mind will like it, because it's simply fun...not a full game, makes you want more, but nevertheless FUN

you cannot say that about Resistance fall of man, or Call of Duty 4 or ANY RPG for that matter...those games only fit with that demographic...: shooter fans or rpg fans ^^''..

ManusJustus said:

I own a Wii and I never play it, XBox 360 or PC (and even a PS3 if I owned one) are just much more appealing to my gaming tastes.

It is "fun" for casual gamers and a younger audience.  Dont expect Nintendo to have the same success with a similar console in the future.  Many "casual gamers" I know who bought a Wii lose interest with it over time, so they wont rush out and pick up a Wii 2 for themselves next generation.  The younger audience will always be there, though.

I like to compare the original Nintendo with Wii, it was a huge fad sucess when the gaming industry was floundering, but Super Nintendo, N64, and Gamecube showed a continued decline in Nintendo sales as past Nintendo customers either went elsewhere (Playstation, XBox, PC) or simply didnt participate in later generations.

Stop making blanket statements with no proof to back them up.  I know several people my age and older who enjoy the Wii who are not "casual" gamers, but have been playing PC and console games since their conception.  Just because YOU don't get enjoyment out of it, doesn't mean others regardless of age do not.  YOUR age has nothing to do with whether I or fellow veteran gamers enjoy the Wii.  Nintendo's core following, which still accounts for a major portion of their customers were not born yesterday as so many would like to imply.

ManusJustus said:

I own a Wii and I never play it, XBox 360 and PC (even PS3 if I owned one) are just much more appealing to my gaming tastes.

It is "fun" for casual gamers and a younger audience.  Dont expect Nintendo to have the same success with a similar console in the future.  Many "casual gamers" I know who bought a Wii lose interest with it over time, so they wont rush out and pick up a Wii 2 for themselves next generation.  The younger audience will always be there, though, as will Nintendo fans.

I like to compare the original Nintendo with Wii, it was a huge fad sucess when the gaming industry was floundering, but Super Nintendo, N64, and Gamecube showed a continued decline in sales as past Nintendo customers either went elsewhere (Playstation, XBox, PC) or simply didnt participate in later generations.

sorry but this is just Bullshit.

but I can do the same: I own all three consoles but only the Wii get played the other two is just collecting dust.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

allthehoneys said:

Stop making blanket statements with no proof to back them up.  I know several people my age and older who enjoy the Wii who are not "casual" gamers, but have been playing PC and console games since their conception.  Just because YOU don't get enjoyment out of it, doesn't mean others regardless of age do not.  YOUR age has nothing to do with whether I or fellow veteran gamers enjoy the Wii.  Nintendo's core following, which still accounts for a major portion of their customers were not born yesterday as so many would like to imply.

Age matters, the older you get the less you spend on gaming.  Do you really think the 30 and 40 year old audience who entered gaming for the first time by buying a Wii will participate in the next generation?  I guarantee you that many of them will go back to the sidelines.

I call the Wii a fad because thats exactly what it is, though being a fad is not a bad thing at all.  Many consumer products really on fads, especially in the entertainment and fashion industry.  Just like Nintendo Famicom before it, Nintendo Wii's successor will not have the same success in later generations.