By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats so "fun" about the wii?

ManusJustus said:

allthehoneys said:

Stop making blanket statements with no proof to back them up.  I know several people my age and older who enjoy the Wii who are not "casual" gamers, but have been playing PC and console games since their conception.  Just because YOU don't get enjoyment out of it, doesn't mean others regardless of age do not.  YOUR age has nothing to do with whether I or fellow veteran gamers enjoy the Wii.  Nintendo's core following, which still accounts for a major portion of their customers were not born yesterday as so many would like to imply.

Age matters, the older you get the less you spend on gaming.  Do you really think the 30 and 40 year old audience who entered gaming for the first time by buying a Wii will participate in the next generation?  I guarantee you that many of them will go back to the sidelines.

I call the Wii a fad because thats exactly what it is, though being a fad is not a bad thing at all.  Many consumer products really on fads, especially in the entertainment and fashion industry.  Just like Nintendo Famicom before it, Nintendo Wii's successor will not have the same success in later generations.

You have it all wrong ...

From what I have seen (as a 28 year old gamer who knows a lot of gamers in their 30s) at certain points in life the time you spend gaming may decrease (if you have a child under 4 years old) or increase (if you have a child between 4 and 12) but I have not seen that many people reduce the ammount of money they spend on gaming. From what I have seen, most people in their mid-30s are well enough paid that they feel far less guilty about buying a $60 game and only playing it for a couple of hours than someone who is in their 20s.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:

Every other post on this site, you read about how much "fun" the wii is. But what is fun? Fun is an activity thats "enjoyable". That said, I'd argue that "fun" is entirely subjective and people should stop using the word as a synonym for "wii".

I lost interest in the goofy character model-type games that nintendo seems to focus so much on. There's a wii in my house, it belongs to my little brother but I haven't touched it because there's nothing that interests me. I don't want to join my family playing wii sports upstairs. I'd rather go to my game room (in the basement) and try to get through the intriguing story of Legend of Dragoon.

These days, it seems like I'm weird because I don't want to have "fun". But I find it relaxing and interesting playing through LOD while lying on a bed and would rather play COD4 if I wanted to play with friends. We scream when we die (in the game), laugh when we kill someone else (in the game). Even though it could get frustrating when you keep getting killed (in game), its a sweet frustration and altogether "enjoyable" experience.

So my question to you is: aren't we (my friend' and I) having "fun"? If we are, isn't every console "fun" to its owner? Why do the wii crowd keep tagging the word "fun" like they are the only ones capable of having it? Is it only games with no challenge (wii music) whatsoever that are now "fun"?

Its a generational thing, it seems. From 15-25, people find great delight in killing other people. Go above this crowd, and you won't find people laughing when they kill other people. You guys are the PS generation, you've gone through the past 10-15 years of your life with a Sony machine at the helm. The guys older than this grew up with Atari and Nintendo. To us, fun isn't always so dark. Yet with the PS generation, the only humor/fun is based on dark events. Even the media embraced by you guys has a dark humor to it - Family Guy, Robot Chicken, South Park. Sure, older people get into this too, but its not the ONLY fun. The PS generation is stuck in a situation where its not fun unless someone is getting insulted or physically injured. I probably sound pretty ironic because I dwell in a lot of dark humor myself, but I know that I'm not right in the head, so its different =)

On Wii Music, I will give you that it looks like its aimed for little kids or a bunch of people who wished they were musicians. Music without tempo or rhythm isnt quite music. Of course, I was a music major in college, so Im a little bit of a snob on that issue.  =D

The thing with the Wii is that it focuses on social fun, like going out and playing a game of basketball, having a BBQ, going bowling, etc. Whereas a lot of the "core" titles are designed to be played alone, or over the internet. So I think that the fun elements talked about deal with the social side of gaming, sharing the experience, just like back pl;aying 4 way split screen TimeSplitters 2 or Goldeneye.

btw @OP

Revisiting the OP I realized this must be a joke. scratch my past post.

OP answers his own question in the OP then contradicts himself in the same sentance then estabilishes values and later refferences something that doesn't match the estabilished values.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

LOL ONLY this thread already makes the wii fun xD never laughed so hard

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

HappySqurriel said:

From what I have seen (as a 28 year old gamer who knows a lot of gamers in their 30s) at certain points in life the time you spend gaming may decrease (if you have a child under 4 years old) or increase (if you have a child between 4 and 12) but I have not seen that many people reduce the ammount of money they spend on gaming. From what I have seen, most people in their mid-30s are well enough paid that they feel far less guilty about buying a $60 game and only playing it for a couple of hours than someone who is in their 20s.

I'm in my late 20s too and the first time or not in a long time gamers I know who bought a Wii will probably not participate in the next generation of gaming.

Its not about income, just because people in their 30s and 40s have more money than the younger generation doesnt mean they will spend freely on something they dont want.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:

I'm in my late 20s too and the first time or not in a long time gamers I know who bought a Wii will probably not participate in the next generation of gaming.

Its not about income, just because people in their 30s and 40s have more money than the younger generation doesnt mean they will spend freely on something they dont want.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one because I have seen several people who weren't gamers (mostly women) increasing their interest and time spent gaming since the Wii was released. You may not see them buying into the next generation, but if these people bought a Wii and have completed a game (on average) every 3 months when the next generation begins they will probably be nearly as excited as when they first bought their Wii.

ManusJustus said:

allthehoneys said:

Stop making blanket statements with no proof to back them up.  I know several people my age and older who enjoy the Wii who are not "casual" gamers, but have been playing PC and console games since their conception.  Just because YOU don't get enjoyment out of it, doesn't mean others regardless of age do not.  YOUR age has nothing to do with whether I or fellow veteran gamers enjoy the Wii.  Nintendo's core following, which still accounts for a major portion of their customers were not born yesterday as so many would like to imply.

Age matters, the older you get the less you spend on gaming.  Do you really think the 30 and 40 year old audience who entered gaming for the first time by buying a Wii will participate in the next generation?  I guarantee you that many of them will go back to the sidelines.

I call the Wii a fad because thats exactly what it is, though being a fad is not a bad thing at all.  Many consumer products really on fads, especially in the entertainment and fashion industry.  Just like Nintendo Famicom before it, Nintendo Wii's successor will not have the same success in later generations.

You like to argue points that have nothing whatsoever to do with the posts you quote.  Congratulations.  If you want to delegate that the Wii is stricly for and only enjoyed by gamers born yesterday, there is a large following that you're going to insult.  Get that through your thick head.

i have "fun" playing all 3 consoles.

its fun for the type of gamer that has a preference for that type of fun

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

facher83 said:
So yeah. Reading the OP, seems like another bait post.

It's simple, really. A lot of the Wii users are "gamers" which stopped playing and buying Video Games past the SNES/Sega era due to the more recent decade of fluffing the gaming market. There are also a lot of current gen gamers, newer ones, that enjoy it as well.

To put it simply, "fun" to far too many people willing to complain about Wii's image is simple a matter of "fun" on Wii not being "cool" enough.

Pick up RE4: Wii edition if you haven't played it before. It's actually very Wii-ized with the controlling.

If you like Baseball, pick up MLB Power Pros (granted, it's also on PS2, but who doesn't make cross-platform games these days? It looks better, anyway). Power Pros is quite an insane game. It's an incredible RPG in terms of stats and upgrading.

Mario Kart is really a game that will stick around for years. I'm sorry, but it was quite fun when my room mates and I (all about 23-24 years old) played a team match through 48 (?) tracks in one sitting.... at the same time seeing how many beers we could chug. That was fun.

Smash Bros. is the same. It will last a long time. You pick it up here and there, and it will pay more for itself in the long run.

Check out "The Conduit" in development.

Square has already landed XBox with their usually PS exclusive title, FF. You can bet Wii will land more games from the giant (more original) as time progresses.

I don't remember if Force Unleashed will have any Wii movement on it... but there is a Star Wars lightsaber dueling game in production.

I don't know, I could go on. Infact, most of us read on the enhanced Wiimote feature coming soon... that will undoubtedly land a bomb shell for FPS games. No cutesie Mii's landing there.

Don't you worry though. Microsoft has already announced and shown how they will get their own avatars on. Gonna call their cutesie little Sim-looking people a reason to degrade the whole system? I think not.

You totally missed the point. i was just trying to point out that some people (like myself) have "fun" with consoles other than the wii.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler