By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats so "fun" about the wii?

Pristine20 said:
facher83 said:
Pristine20 said:
allthehoneys said:

Problem is, I'd rather play my games alone with friends but definitely not with my grandma? I'm not asking for justification on why the wii is fun. I'm arguing that all consoles are "fun" since their owners "enjoy" playing them. Doesn't fun= enjoyment?

The problem is, your thread title is called "Whats so "fun" about the wii".  Maybe you should've named your thread "All consoles are "fun"" or something more appropriate.

Edit: to remove irrelevant quotes.

Edit 2:  btw, I do agree with your op, that fun is basically in the eye of the beholder, I just don't think your thread title matches your post.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

it has awesome EPIC games and its.....awesome! wii is the best sytem IMO.

Man this thread just drags on and on... Just let it go already guys... some people like Wii, others like other consoles. Who cares? Everyone's entitled tot their own preferences end opinions.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

most of its games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Pristine20 said:
mike_intellivision said:
Pristine

You and others like you (males age 15-34) probably don't get the Wii because it really is not targeted toward you.

Please do not take this as an insult. It just means that at different ages/stages in life people have different tastes. There are certain things that I did in my 20s that I would never do in my 40s. Time and people change.

I love RPGs. But I don't have time for them now. So a quick burst of gaming is all I can do. Thus, the Wii appeals to me. I also don't have to worry about most of the game content when my 5 year old son enters the room. And things are simple enough that he can play.

Fun is a subjective term. I honestly don't get why people go to slasher (or worse) movies. But people do and they make money. I accept that I cannot understand their rationale and move on. That is what a lot of "hardcore" gamers need to do with regard to the Wii.

Mike from Morgantown

Makes lots of sense. My only beef was the fact that the term "fun" was associated with the wii to the point where it sounded like you weren't having fun if you weren't on board with the wii. I'm much busier than I used to be as well. I still play RPGs, just in shorter bursts nowadays!

I think the title of the thread may be causing more problems than the actual content of the OP.

I think the people who say the Wii is fun are comparing it to recent other experiences they had with video games. Many of them are either never-gamers or former-gamers and have found the control schemes on the newer consoles too complex -- thus they were not "fun" for them.

And I agree that "fun" is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of games can be fun. And I have enjoyed many different types.

Now I just need to find a couple of hours to finish DQ VIII. After 110 hours, I am in the final dunegon.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

how come wen i posted a thread like this i got flamed?

April 03, 2006
Fils-Aime said, "There's people in the house that don't play video games whatsoever. And when people see what we have to offer at E3, they're going to understand that that wall's been broken down and we now have created a system that's going to allow for a much, much larger user base than any system we've seen before."

March 20, 2006
Miyamoto said, "For a long time now we have been concerned by the direction of the industry. Our competitors are talking about beefed-up graphics and better technology. We could fight in that area but we think it is not necessary and we would rather focus on what Nintendo can do uniquely."

This seems to be the direction that they took.

"Fun" is obviously a subjective turn (unless you are living in the world of the novel 1984).

But still, different number of people find different things fun, so that's why you see so many Wii people talking about their fun.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

this is a weird thread....it really is..the Wii is fun..cuz i can play most of the old games I grew up with...it plays new, revolutionized games of those genres
(lol at the original name: Revolution)

they truly make playing each and every Wii game fun
(not half-assed ports..those suck balls)

if you played any good Wii game of the genere you love, you'd fall in love with it all over again, as if it were your first time..playing SMG made me feel like paying my first 3D mario all over again (SM64)

so....to me it offers the biggest and most diverse collection of games...

same for the DS...it offers the most options...and that's what I want right?

let's take this..

PS3+game= $460

Wii+game+motionplus+game+game+game+game=$450

for new games the Wii is my option...it costs less money to play tons of great games....and the games for DL on the Wii hardly cost anything...($5-$10)

there are so many reasons it can be fun...the ONLY people who REALLY don't like it..are video game haters..or people who have a biased opinion and don't care to try out new things...people with limited imagination

'cause you can not tell me you can't see some awesome games coming out with the Wiimote...that would redefine a genre

Soriku said:
Pristine20 said:
Soriku said:

OK...you like RPGs right? Why not wait for RPGs on the Wii like Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Little King Story (sim/RPG), etc. instead of just playing Wii Sports and going "This game isn't for me!"

Thing is, I have a 60gb ps3 and a backlog of old RPGs to play! I'd actually rather play old RPGs than the ones on wii because I'm used to the PS controller (and resistant to change lol) and there isn't much of a graphical improvement to spike my interest. The 360 maybe, but it doesn't have nearly as much to compete with the games I've had to skip the last 2 gens.

If you still paly old RPGs then why would you care about a "graphical enhancement"? It's not like the Wii's RPGs look bad. Also, who cares if you're not used to the controller? Play it for some time and you'll eventually get used to it the same way as ANY other controller. Actually give the Wii a decent chance and actually play it for some time (not Wii Sports, the genres you actually like) instead of writing it off and asking "Why is it fun?"

The thing about the graphical enhancement is it could be a semi reason to attract me to a nex-gen JRPG because its really only in the graphics departmnt that JRPGs can improve. Their gameplay is fine as is in my opinion. The wii currently doesn't even have as many JRPGs as the 360. There's also not much graphical improvement over ps2 with regards to wii JRPGs so there's really not much of an incentive for me to try it out. I'm not writing it off. I personally don't care for motion controls as I lie on a bed while playing 80% of the time. Perhaps if nintendo builds a game library that interests me, I'll add the wii to my repetoire (doesn't cost much), but that doesn't seem like the case judging by their latest presentation (E3). Playstation is not the end all of gaming for me. I bought an xbox so I am capable of giving other consoles a chance.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler