By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sold in japan, Folks Soul bombs hard...

blowfish said:
Wow the amount of nintendo fanboys in here defending the wii is getting abit much. A good game designed for the japanese market came out in japan for the ps3 yet it sold poorly. Why? Because thanks to nintendo pushing out cheap, shallow non games the taste of japanese gamers has changed. If this continues then real games will be in decline and vastly out numbered by the the non games. It's a sad day for real gamers.

Yes, that's the real reason. Oh, and I guess I was playing FAKE games all this week. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Only morons think that the Wii is going to entirely change gaming to where traditional games as we see them will not be made. No, it will force developers and publishers to look harder before they push the next party-game/racing sim/FPS clone/Poorly-written RPG game out the door and put actual work into it. Because, as we all know, all gamers that existed before the Wii spontaneously died and are not buying games they like, ever again. Right?

Also, back to the actual thread. The game didn't do that well, because of small amount of stock and/or low market share for the PS3. Pretty... direct story. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
blowfish said:
Wow the amount of nintendo fanboys in here defending the wii is getting abit much. A good game designed for the japanese market came out in japan for the ps3 yet it sold poorly. Why? Because thanks to nintendo pushing out cheap, shallow non games the taste of japanese gamers has changed. If this continues then real games will be in decline and vastly out numbered by the the non games. It's a sad day for real gamers.

I like your post, especially the last sentence.

I like how defensive you are over the wii.

blowfish said:

Nah. Japanese gamers have not changed. The problem is their budget hasnt either; they cant afford the expensive machine Sony is marketing. As soon as more developers start to see this, they TOO will make good games designed for the Japanese market, and they will produced on hardware that the Japanese can afford, be it the PSP/DS or Wii/PS2.

The real gamers are still there.

rocketpig said:
johnsobas said:
cooking mama is a terrible example considering it sells way better in europe and america than it does in Japan. Cooking Mama on Wii sold a whopping 33k while the one on DS sold 60k. In America the Wii version has sold 117k and is still selling 5k a week while it is dead in Japan. Cooking Mama was on the European sales charts for quite a while (doesn't show numbers, but it gives you an idea). The DS version has sold 338k in America.

Nice job.

Then pick any myriad of popular sim/puzzle games that sell in Japan and don't sell at all in NA or the EU. While Cooking Mama may have been a poor choice, the point is still valid.

Sure, Nintendodogs and Brain Training. Last time we got some officiel numbers Nintendodogs was at 5 millions in Europe, and I think Brain Age was around 2 millions. Their is a lot of gamers that plays those games. Their is also a lot of games that never get released in Europe or USA.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

ampillion said:
blowfish said:

Yes, that's the real reason. Oh, and I guess I was playing FAKE games all this week. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Only morons think that the Wii is going to entirely change gaming to where traditional games as we see them will not be made. No, it will force developers and publishers to look harder before they push the next party-game/racing sim/FPS clone/Poorly-written RPG game out the door and put actual work into it. Because, as we all know, all gamers that existed before the Wii spontaneously died and are not buying games they like, ever again. Right?

Also, back to the actual thread. The game didn't do that well, because of small amount of stock and/or low market share for the PS3. Pretty... direct story.

And this is the typical response you get when you tell it like it is with nintendo. No where did i ever say real games would stop being made completely. The fact is if non games continue to become popular than real games like halo, metal gear and gran turismo will be in decline. Why spend 20 million and many years on making the worlds best action game like god of war or ninja gaiden which will receive high reviews and be loved by the real gamers when you can spend a fraction of the time and money making shallow pick up and play games that will receive low review scores but sell well to the masses who wouldn't know what a good game was even if it slapped them in the face. At the end of the day you can call anything a game, i could go shop lifting and see how much i could steal before i get caught and turn that into a game. I could jump off my roof and see how many falls it takes before i break my leg, i could work out sums on a touch screen pad....if you look hard enough you can say anything is a game. Real gamers want real games, they dont want the hobby they love to be diluted with shovelware that isnt very good but sells to the masses who dont know any better.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
blowfish said:
RolStoppable said:
blowfish said:

I like your post, especially the last sentence.

I like how defensive you are over the wii.

I only defend it if people make ridiculous claims like you did. I don't spin facts or make stuff up to support my point.

Nope i havent made any ridiculous claims, spun any facts or made stuff up, try again.

Respond to mine.

I don't necessarily think core gamers in Japan have lost interest in mature titles, although the total number of core console gamer has been probably dwindling due to various reasons such as the declining birthrate, the popularity of handheld, PC gaming, the diversification of the sources of entertainment, etc.

There are conventional theories about the PS3 failure in Japan --- the high pricing of hard and software, the unavailability of mega titles, the release delay, the difficulty and high cost of game development for 3rd-parties (making them focus more on sequels rather than entirely new stuff), the problem with backward compatibility etc.

If there is another reason, it must be that Sony has lost much of its brand image among gamers and game-retailers in Japan. The name "Sony" became lame to them.

Sony used to be a symbol of "cool" until the early 2000s. The name was almost an equivalent of taking risks and doing new things. The success of PS2 was a big plus for improving their image among young audience, while Panasonic and Nintendo failed with their 3DO, N64, and GC.

Due to the success of PS2, however, Sony became a bit arrogant and started to do what Nintendo did in the 1990s all over again - antagonizing retailers by controlling retail prices and restricting the distribution of used titles, etc. In 1999, Kutaragi started to say really dumb and aggravating things to the mass media. His classless verbal attacks against Nintendo were quoted over and over by the media -- lowering the Sony image. Just like Panasonic did with 3DO, Kutaragi called PS3 "a home information appliance" instead of "game machine", which was seen as lame by most gamers. Furthermore, he said "It's a PSP's spec" to people who reported a button problem with PSP, which dissapointed a lot of PSP supporters. The XCP problem with their music CD lowered the corporate image among young audience, although it is not about game per se.

By 2005, people seriously started to question if Sony was still "cool".

What's worst was when Sony employees started to post praise for their product on various Internet forums and blogs without revealing their identity, pretending like innocent customers. They also fiercely attacked people on various blog and forums who criticized Sony. Viral marketing I suppose.

These activities by Sony were revealed later when administrators of these websites and forums identified the ip addresses of these posters, which were from Sony.co.jp. This was widely publicized and destroyed their brand image among gamers.

For a lot of gamers and game-retailers, the Sony's once-progressive image was lost. To them, Sony = Lame. This is presumably an auxiliary reason why Sony is failing but it certainly didn't help.

It's a bit sad because I liked what Sony used to be and what they represented. I really hope things will change better for them.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

blowfish said:

What is a real gamer? Mayby you should wright it is a sad day for me, because honestly I am a gamer but I dont want to play folk soul.

EDIT: Let me reprash(sp?) this:

Can I be a real gamer, according to you, when I play to 90% Nintendo games? Because that  is what I feel that you is writing.

I aren't much for the big story games,if I want a story I read a book (and I do read a lot)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

omoneru said:
I don't necessarily think core gamers in Japan have lost interest in mature titles, although the total number of core console gamer has been probably dwindling due to various reasons such as the declining birthrate, the popularity of handheld, the PC gaming, the diversification of the sources of entertainment, etc.

There are conventional theories about the PS3 failure in Japan --- the high pricing of hard and software, the unavailability of mega titles, the release delay, the difficulty and high cost of game development for 3rd-parties (making them focus more on sequels rather than entirely new stuff), the problem with backward compatibility etc.

If there is another reason, it must be that Sony has lost much of its brand image among gamers and game-retailers in Japan. The name "Sony" became lame to them.

Sony used to be a symbol of "cool" until the early 2000s. The name was almost an equivalent of taking risks and doing new things. The success of PS2 was a big plus for improving their image among young audience, while Panasonic and Nintendo failed with their 3DO, N64, and GC.

Due to the success of PS2, however, Sony became a bit arrogant and started to do what Nintendo did in the 1990s all over again - antagonizing retailers by controlling retail prices and restricting the distribution of used titles, etc. In 1999, Kutaragi started to say really dumb and aggravating things to the mass media. His classless verbal attacks against Nintendo were quoted over and over by the media -- lowering the Sony image. Just like Panasonic did with 3DO, Kutaragi called PS3 "a home information appliances" instead of "game machine", which was seen as lame by most gamers. Furthermore, he said "It's a PSP's spec" to people who reported a button problem with PSP, which dissapointed a lot of PSP supporters. The XCP problem with their music CD lowered the corporate image among young audience, although it is not about game per se.

By 2005, people seriously started to question if Sony was still "cool".

What's worst was when Sony employees started to post praise for their product on various Internet forums and blogs without revealing their identity, pretending like innocent customers. They also fiercely attacked people on various blog and forums who criticized Sony. Viral marketing I suppose.

These activities by Sony were revealed later when administrators of these websites and forums identified the ip addresses of these posters, which were from Sony.co.jp. This was widely publicized and destroyed their brand image among gamers.

For a lot of gamers and game-retailers, the Sony's once-progressive image was lost. To them, Sony = Lame. This is presumably an auxiliary reason why Sony is failing but it certainly didn't help.

It's a bit sad because I liked what Sony used to be and what they represented. I really hope things will change better for them.
Very credible, considering you are from Japan.