By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official June NPD Thread (for the 5 weeks ending 7/5, data in ~6 hours)

Yay for the PS3!!!!!!!!!!!! Nearly double the sales of 360.

^_^

Around the Network

Wow good job PS3. Bundles and MGS4 really helped.

Software quite high this month. Seems we might have underesitimated a few of the mainstream titles eh.

GTA IV dropped like a rock.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

According to NPD Industry Analyst Anita Frazier, "The Wii has taken the lead in total sales of current generation console hardware at 10.9 million units sold at retail life-to-date in the U.S."

The Wii sold 666.7K units in June 2008, the NPD stats for the month reveal, compared to 405.5K for the PS3 and 219.8K for the Xbox 360. The Nintendo DS sold 783K units for the month, while the PSP mustered sales of 337.4K.

"Platform-exclusive content usually fuels hardware system purchases, and PS3 sales certainly reflect the impact of Metal Gear Solid 4,” said Frazier. “PS3 unit sales were the highest of any month outside of that recorded during previous November/December holiday timeframes."

Regarding software, dollar sales for video games in 2008 came in at $1.69 billion, compared to June 2007 $1.1 billion; a 53% increase. $615.1 million of this came from hardware sales, while $872.6 million came from software and $202 million from accessories. These represent year-on-year increases of 54%, 61%, and 25% respectively.

The top ten software titles for the month were led unsurprisingly by Metal Gear Solid 4, which moved 774.6K unbundled units. Guitar Hero: On Tour took the number two spot with 422.3K, while LEGO Indiana Jones SKUs took the 8, 9, and 10 spots.

Said Frazier, "As expected, Metal Gear Solid 4 realized significant retail sales and drove PS3 hardware acquisition. While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

She added "Wii Play continues to achieve an attach rate of over 50% to every new Wii hardware system sale. I can't think of another game that has ever had that kind of performance after 16 months at retail." Regarding the strong performance of the PS2 SKU of Indiana Jones, she remarked that, “As Iron Man did last month, mass-friendly titles are a perfect fit for the still healthy PS2 platform.”

June U.S. software rankings are below (includes collector’s edition and bundles but not software bundled with hardware):

1. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami, 6/08—774.6K
2. NDS Guitar Hero On Tour, Activision, 6/08—422.3K
3. 360 Ninja Gaiden II, Microsoft, 6/08—372.7K
4. Wii Fit with Balance Board, NOA, 5/08—372.7K
5. Wii Play with Remote, NOA, 2/07—359.1K
6. 360 Battlefield: Bad Company, EA, 6/08—346.8K
7. Wii Mario Kart with Wheel, NOA, 4/08—322.4K
8. Wii LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—294.5K
9. NDS LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—260.3K

DMeisterJ said:
PS3 undertracked by at least 100k plus whatever it sold in canada, and the rest of america.

MGS as well, since the software counted with bundles isn't tracked and even without that it's undertracked.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Around the Network

If you see the numbers and then remember Major Nelson's words: 'X360 will sell more than PS3' I wonder how Nelson would react if PS3 will pass the X360 someday.

Nearly 1 million MGS4 sold with bundles, wow.

Griffin said:
FishyJoe said:

According to Bloomberg, over 10.9 million Wiis LTD in US. If you add in Canada and the rest of the Americas, VGC almost sounds like it's tracking on the low side comparatively. I've underlined comparatively because I'm not saying VGC is under tracking, only that it may be tracking differently on the low side when you compare.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aK64sYWSB1Rw&refer=asia

How do you get that, according to this site we have the wii at 12.55mil for the last week in june, with the US at 10.9 that puts 1.6 for Canada, and thats well above 10%.  If anything it appears we are over tracking.

Americas is not just US and Canada. Look at the corporate report to see the Americas numbers is significantly higher than just US + Canada.

Great PS3 sales, looks like MGS4 was undertracked as well.  Same with the Lego Indiana Jones games.

Wow at PS3 and MGS4