By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why's everyone moaning about sony's lack of third party support?

Sky Render said:
The argument does degrade down to egotism on the user end, for the most part, I agree. I was merely pointing out authentic concerns of non-exclusivity, even if most users would not actually bring those issues up. The main issue I wanted to bring up, however, is mediocrity (the bane of all commercial products). A lack of exclusives can lead to mediocrity when none of the games being made by third parties are drawing in new users, and if a system's first-party developer cannot fill the gap with authentic system-seller software, the system's sales will taper off and die faster than they would otherwise.

well if you look at sony's first party lineup, i don't see anywhere to complain about. we're getting resistance 2, killzone 2, littlebigplanet, gran turismo 5 (eventually... omg i hate polyphony), god of war 3, etc. etc.

there is no lack of good games to come on the first party side, and hence no danger of mediocrity. Aside from that, we're not seeing any downfall on third party games' quality either. let's not speculate about "oh, in ten years, third party devs won't make good games anymore". lets stick to the now and the confirmed releases, which are looking pretty cool.

Around the Network

There's still a danger of mediocrity. Of the titles you listed, only one (LittleBigPlanet) offers anything new. Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and Gran Turismo 5 are all incremental upgrades to past games, and while they may draw in a few new users, they won't have anywhere near the impact that their predecessors did (particularly GT3 vs. GT5). Every time a sequel comes out without anything notably compelling over its predecessors, sales of the new installment are lower because of users who decide that the previous installment is "good enough".

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
There's still a danger of mediocrity. Of the titles you listed, only one (LittleBigPlanet) offers anything new. Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and Gran Turismo 5 are all incremental upgrades to past games, and while they may draw in a few new users, they won't have anywhere near the impact that their predecessors did (particularly GT3 vs. GT5). Every time a sequel comes out without anything notably compelling over its predecessors, sales of the new installment are lower because of users who decide that the previous installment is "good enough".

agreed. but how does this tie in with third party exclusivity? exclusive or not, the game is what the game is. people have to get over the idea that the "ps3 is leaps and bounds better than 360 in terms of tech". no, the truth is, they're pretty much equal in power, with some minor differences here and there.

so the point is, exclusive or multiplatform, if a game sucks, it sucks. if a game is good, its good. exclusivity isn't going to change that.

It ties in because of what I said earlier: a lack of compelling and differentiated system-seller software will sink a system, no matter who makes it. If third-party developers aren't making the system-seller software, and first-party developers aren't making it, who will? And the issue with multi-plat software is as I already said: higher expenses across many platforms equals lower-quality games if the budget cannot be expanded, reducing the odds of system-seller software coming from a third party.

Sky Render said:
It ties in because of what I said earlier: a lack of compelling and differentiated system-seller software will sink a system, no matter who makes it. If third-party developers aren't making the system-seller software, and first-party developers aren't making it, who will? And the issue with multi-plat software is as I already said: higher expenses across many platforms equals lower-quality games if the budget cannot be expanded, reducing the odds of system-seller software coming from a third party.

you're right about that, but as long as the games are still compelling, there's no need to moan about 10 years from now through meaningless speculation.

you got it all twisted around. making games multi-platform means more sales and more money. why else would a dev even do that if they don't stand to profit from it?

and no, games are not going to change just because it goes multiplatform. again, the 360 and the ps3 are virtually equal with little differences here and there. people just have to get over their idealism. 

Around the Network

I suppose, if I were a layman, I would be satisfied with just looking at the present. But I study the way markets work, and I spot the warning signs of imminent market collapse some time before the market actually fails because that's what my research is aimed at allowing me to do. I guess you don't relate, but that's fine. I just can't take a short-sighted 'profits are everything' viewpoint when I can see what the long-term side-effects will be if that mentality continues in the form it has.

Sky Render said:
I suppose, if I were a layman, I would be satisfied with just looking at the present. But I study the way markets work, and I spot the warning signs of imminent market collapse some time before the market actually fails because that's what my research is aimed at allowing me to do. I guess you don't relate, but that's fine. I just can't take a short-sighted 'profits are everything' viewpoint when I can see what the long-term side-effects will be if that mentality continues in the form it has.

if that's really your argument, then if you really look at market trends, this gen is outselling last gen. doesn't that say something? i really don't get why you're saying that the market is about to crash when its going stronger than last gen's, or any gen before that. even through a weakening economy, high prices, and the like, the game industry is still outperforming itself.

get your facts straight, my friend.

This isnt like the film industry. There really isn't enough competition and promotion for all developers so this exclusivity is a really bad thing for the industry. It seems like some companies have no idea what they are actually doing by restricting availability in this way. Of course XBOX and PS 3rd parties r clued to this hence the duel releases.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Soriku said:
Because instead of having ALL the third party support (PS1/PS2), exclusive games are being multiplat (FF XIII, DMC4, RE5, etc.), and they're also losing more and more main series over time due to not a big enough userbase (Fatal Frame [only counts for the PS2 exclusive ones], Monster Hunter, etc.).

Let's just say Sony isn't in the same position with the PS3 as they were with the PS1/PS2.

and so? ps3 is still getting all the big third party games. my point is, what matters most is that gamers get to play the games. why care about exclusivity aside from increasing your ego? you're still getting the games...

megaman79 said:
This isnt like the film industry. There really isn't enough competition and promotion for all developers so this exclusivity is a really bad thing for the industry. It seems like some companies have no idea what they are actually doing by restricting availability in this way. Of course XBOX and PS 3rd parties r clued to this hence the duel releases.

i agree. the fact is, exclusivity is only harming the game industry.