By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Sports Resort was made for Hardcore Gamers

Yeah, you heard me. Wii Sports Resort was never made with casual gamers in mind. It was made with Hardcore Gamers in mind.

I hear you snickering and asking yourself what crack I'm smoking, but stop and think for a minute. I never said they designed Wii Sports Resort to be a game that Hardcore gamers would play.

Now I'm hearing sounds of general confusion, but don't worry, in a moment, it'll all make sense.

Think about the Top Selling Wii games. Within the Top 6 sellers worldwide, half of these have the name "Wii" in the title: Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. and Wii Fit is only about 1.5 million away from third place despite only being on the market, what, 2 month now?

I can't count the number of times I've heard "hardcore" gamers complain about how those games only sell because they have "Wii" in the title, and casual yuppies eat it up like crack cocaine. Now there is going to be a 4th game in that list.

Wake up and smell the strategy, people!!! This isn't about the GAME, this is about 1:1 motion. What have hardcore gamers been clamoring for? 1:1 motion, and Nintendo just gave it to them, and all the rest of us.

Oh but wait, in order for developers to actually USE it, we're going to need to make sure it gets set as a standard, but how can they possibly make such a small little addon a standard? Oh yeah, by packaging it with a "Wii" titled game that every casual consumer eats up like slow kids eating  playdough and paste.

This is an obvious strategy by nintendo to ensure that the thing the hardcore gamers have been clamoring for will actually get supported by the casual crowd, which will in turn ensure that developers will see enough of these things getting bought to warrant making a game that supports this stuff. This game may be made for casual gamers to play, but the reason it's being made is so that Wii motion+ can be pushed through for use by hardcore gamers, and 1:1 doesn't fall to the wayside.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that half the reason developers were having trouble with motion controls is because they couldn't get the precision they needed with that missing axis. By having this in place, developers won't have to sacrifice precise movement controls to make up for that, which should make it easier for developers to use motion controls without it feeling like "tacked on waggle"

So seriously, sit down and shut up, Hardcores. Quit complaining or doomsaying so we can actually get 1:1, and get other developers besides nintendo to work with that 1:1 so you can get those challenging, intuitive, waggle-free, controls you've always wanted.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

I'm still waiting for developers to figure out how to use the Wii board.

Also is the Motion device going to be sold seperately too? We have to buy 2-4 just to play Wii sports 2 in the way it was intended - a social environment.

actually, it's pretty obvious that the Motion + device will be sold seperately, and will likely come standard with future Wiimotes, since it already has a new, longer Wiimote jacket to use with the thing.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Fencing Looked Very Hardcore...

I read from another topic on this forum that they'll be $30 each.

Around the Network
Cactus said:

So $120 plus ~$30 for the game. I'll admit, that's a pretty hardcore price-point.

Shameless said:
Cactus said:

So $120 plus ~$30 for the game. I'll admit, that's a pretty hardcore price-point.

Sorry, I meant the Motion Plus addon is $30, the game I have no idea.

Balance board in driving, WTF am i saying here. At least the foot peddles in Shyamlans drum solo got me thinkin. I agree it was more up market than Wii sports, but Wave race it aint, and it def. isn't a full game with Punch Out with swords capabilities.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Cactus said:

I doubt an extra gyrometer is going to cost 3/4ths of what the full controller does. If this thing costs over ten buks, I'll be surprised.

On topic, I see what you're getting at. One of the many reasons I bought a Wii was for 1:1 sword figthing, and we're now actually getting that. Which is why I'm getting Resort. Some people, though, are put off by the fact that the game has color, so don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Why on earth if Nintendo had the foresight to use anime artwork in Wario's game can't they pull some grown up sci fi dystopia Akira shit and make a different game at least for half their market.

In fact that is exactly what they should do with both Punch Out and a first party sword fighting game if theyre going to.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.