By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF13 on 360 and Sony cashes in on it behind the scenes.

So, it is P$3 or PS$?

It's good to see Sony sticking by their fans though, by profiting off their tears.

Otherwise, those tears will have gone to waste.

That said, lol, I don't think Sony knew this would happen, I mean...if they did, and planned it for profit, wouldn't you throw your PS3 in a lake and start a lobby to bomb Japan?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

OMG!
Sony just earned about 3,5 million€ with that brilliant move and they only lost their biggest exclusive!
Maybe they should go multi plat with Versus too?

8.9% is nothing. Sony probably isn't happy about it becuase while the stocks go up, it hurts their sales in the west. Does it help. Some what, but it's way more then your making it out to be.

Great news for Sony! yay!
It's also great news for Microsoft! yay!

what made you think 360 fans will be at odds with this news?

Sony can make way more money buy selling consoles than the little money they will get from their stocks of SE by this announcement. 1 million consoles means at least 500 million dollars revenue, a console and a couple of games. In Europe it mean at least 800 million dollars revenue.

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

@ last couple of people read it and think, this is no profit or money...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

NiKKoM said:
Kasz216 said:
Gazz said:

As many, if not all of you know Sony owns a small but substantial stake in Square Enix, 8.9% to be exact*. In a ironic twist of events they saw their stock value rise with 5.22%** today to 20.16 € and the fact that one of 2 FF13 (versus is still PS3 exclusive) games will go multiplatform to the competition provided that. I finbd it extremely funny that Sony seems to profit from the 360 fanboys who are indirectly fueling the competition.

* http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/stock/stockholder/

** http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=9684&m=BE

Either this is just a stroke of luck for Sony or a brilliant marketing plan in which they use their influence to promote the PS3 version as superiour and Blu ray as a nessecity. As the second biggest shareholder in the company they certainly carry enough weight. Shareholders (1 and 2 are the same) above Sony are both Enix for those who do not know.

One thing is for sure, 360 fanboys (like the ones to be found here) made Sony a whole lot richer today. Sony thanks you for that

Edit: wtf is up with the letters?

Eh Microsoft benefits off of every blu-ray disc sold due to winning the DRM bid.

So when PS3 won the format war... it made Microsoft a lot more richer.

Blu-ray DRMs probably are worth more then the one time minor stock gain.

I wouldn't think about it too hard.

No they didn't.. Sony is in the same DRM consortium.. they actually lost a lot of future profits..  they lost the codecs war... if HD-DVD had won Microsoft would have earned a lot more because of the codec they developed for HD movies..

Ehm, you're even optimist for MS: with format war they didn't lose once, they didn't twice, they lost FIVE TIMES:

1st: as you said, codecs war and royalties from codecs implementations developed by MS

2nd: losing format and codecs war, they lost the possibility to push, amongst all possible video codecs in BD and HD-DVD standards, the one they choosed as the standard for their online premium contents, and MS wanted from it a big boost for its role in entertainment market

3rd: they lost their opportunity with interactive contents, HD-DVD used Windows CE for it

4th: losing interactive, they lost twice, as the winner is Java, that's used for BD interactive contents, and MS fears and hates Java

5th: (this is perhaps the smallest loss, given MS' huge cash, as it's only a money loss) how many HD-DVD drives for XB360 they already built or paid for and still not sold when HD-DVD was stabbed to death?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Doesn't it depend on how much they bought the stock for?
If it cost them more than it's worth now then the MS deal has only lowered their loss.... then again this only counts if they sell.

Wow talk about reaching. We got company fanboys arguing over who's stock went up? And who's profitting off of media.

Wow... just.... wow....

Really though, I mean is this serious?

www.talkxbox.com - It is what it is!

ff13 alone is a win win situation for the 3 companies
it will draw japan sales up for the ps3, getting ww closer to xbox360
x360 get a new RPG.
square enix gets money.

aside that Versus its still a exclusive, and its done by the kh team, :)