By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS2 is about to die... ;_;

So ever since the Chrono Trigger DS announcement I started playing Chrono Trigger again.  Unfortunately, a few years back my sister took all the old SNES games we use to have and Chrono Trigger just happened to be one of those so I've been playing the Playstion version.

I hate the load times and cinematics are just odd the way they fit in but it doesn't change the fact I love the game.  Every night since then I've been spending a few hours in my office when I get home and enjoying the Hell out of the game.  Sadly something bad happened last week, I got the red disc error screen at the PS2 startup and I've been getting it pretty consistently since.

Usually when I start my PS2 I get the red screen now and most of the time I'll just have to eject the disc and reset and that fixes it but there are also times when it takes quite a few tries for my poor old PS2 to read the disc.  I got my PS2 about 1 1/2 to 2 years after it was released so I dodged the period where they were pretty much disposable (about as bad as the RRoD without the warranty) and it's gotten a crapload of playtime since then without problems but now it looks like it's on its last legs.

I think the thing that did it in was I watched a DVD on it a few nights before I started getting the red screen.  I knew at the time it was a silly thing to do but the fiance was using the TV upstairs and I wanted to watch a movie so I just used it.  Now my poor PS2 dieing.  ;_;

I have my PS1 still so I can finish Chrono Trigger but I'll still without my PS2.  It's like losing a buddy.  I still don't know if I'm going to fork out the money for a new slim one or not.  I'm pretty cheap but I do like my PS2 games that I still have.

Around the Network

Don't you have a PS3, or did you sell it?

I have a PS3 that does have BC but there are two problems:

1. I like having the PS2 in my office so I can go down there and play for hours and not hog the good TV with cable and all that.
2. The PS3 doesn't play PS1 games does it?

@2: Yes, even the 40gb plays PS1 games. :)

twesterm said:

2. The PS3 doesn't play PS1 games does it?

It does.

Around the Network

Every PS3 plays PS1 games.

Problem solved.

SamuelRSmith said:
@2: Yes, even the 40gb plays PS1 games. :)

Ah, that's good then.  I could have swore somewhere I read that the PS3 didn't play PS1 games.  Still upset though I'm finally about to lose my PS2 after working so hard to keep it running well.

It's not just dying.

It was murdered. And all just so you could watch a DVD. Your selfishness sickens me.

But seriously, that stinks. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a secondhand PS2 these days. Might save you some cash if money is the issue. Waiting around for Sony to start selling PS3s with BC seems like a bad idea right now.

Edit: Oh, your PS3 does have BC. Lucky for that, then.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@twesterm, the ps3 is actually compatible on the ps1 and ps2.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

There is a new model coming out which is slimline and internal power brick, but the only region that I am certain it is coming out is India, and I doubt it will be in the US for a while, and it looks as though Sony are saving that price cut to $99 for a while, probably after the holidays, so there is no reason not to get a PS2, and I am still not certain that Sony will improve BC, and it always worth having one because there are just so many games that you could want to return to so it is probably worth it