By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 380 PS3 titles by March 2008

jlauro said:
Blue3 said:
jlauro said:
I know it wasn't long ago that Nintendo announced they had over 100 VC games available on the shopping channel, and are adding more every week. I assume this is similar to the PSN games???

The 360 already has 200 boxed games, so it will be leading in terms of available games for some time.

Not sure if this number is higher or not than what the wii will have at that time.

You comparing stuff like calling all cars to vc.

I don't know exactly what PSN is... so if Calling all cars is on that, then I guess I am. However I don't know what calling all cars is, so...

I guess Calling all cars comparied to Super Mario 64?

VC rereleases old games only. PSN has new games that are being made now by Sony and partners and old games being remade.

In the future though PSN is having much bigger games coming like Warhawk, Socom: Confrontation and there's already Tekken: Dark Resurrection which is a full game of recent release available for download.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
jlauro said:

They already have about 45, so it's really only 155 more...

The PS3 library in North America is still under 40 games as of this week's releases.  I believe it's at 38, don't have my data in front of me at the moment.

That figure for 200 boxed releases is World Wide, which Reuters has pegged at 60 so far.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST27918120070621

It is quite conceivable that Sony hits that 200 release figure (WW) on schedule in March 2008, yet there still be fewer than 80 or 90 of those games to choose from in a market like North America.

The libraries for Asian markets are always huge ... America? Not so much.

Oh... IF it is WW, then it makes more sense.

200 different games only counting the same game two or three times (one for each region) :P

I remember SEGA sayin' "we are dropping Dreamcast but we have 100 titles under development... TRUST US"

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network

I well remember the list of around 200 games in development for the Atari Jaguar at one time as well.

But I don't think Sony is double or triple-counting multi-region releases; if they're claiming 60 titles at present, they're being honest about it being 60 UNIQUE titles. (And since the PS3 is region-free, those 60 games are in theory available to play on ANY PS3, language and importing hassles aside.)

Hmmm... If u count in PSN then u can count VC for Wii... And about 8 months in the Wii's live u have 100 VC titles... And with another 8 months to go that would put the counter for VC on 200. Then adding the list of 'normal' games that would make a grand total of about 400-450 games at March 2008 for Wii... So yeah... 380 for PS3 is realistic. And how many games does X360 have on Live and boxed?!

THE NETHERLANDS

Thats quite a lot of games on the go. Hopefully some of them are winners! I find it interesting that some studio's are switching to psn games. I would guess that these PSN games aren't nearly as graphically intensive as most full disc titles?

edit: that last was an actual question.  I don't know much about the psn games.

In general, PSN games (like titles on XBox Live Arcade and whatever solution Nintendo finally arrives at for original games) are less investment-intensive and wouldn't fly at full retail price. They're generally lower-budget, quicker to develop and less deep than manufactured SKUs.

That said, games like Calling All Cars and FlOw are truly excellent for what they are, and the prices have been right. I wouldn't be surprised to see this end of things become the big growth engines for small publishers on all the next-gen connected platforms. Investment risk is lower, production and distribution costs are minimal and the games have generally been worthwhile.

You can do a lot of good gaming with $50 or $60 worth of downloadable games, compared to buying a full-scale title.

it`s sad that not 360 games. =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far