By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

Blue3 said:
JHawkNH said:

Blue3 said:

But who the hell woud choose a dvd over BR ? people will choose what looks better.

Isn't this the same type of argument that some Sony fanboys are useing to justify the purchase of PS3's? It doesn't seem to be working real well right now for the PS3. Why would this logic work for the HD disks (Blu-Ray or HD DVD) instead?

are you that delusional, take two thing put them side by side people will choose the better loking thing its humen nature.

If we're talking about movies and money or any other issue isn't a factor, then I will definitely choose the better looking.  If we're talking games, I'm choosing the one that looks more fun (not saying one system is more fun, just saying I won't choose on looks).

Sadly though, for movies there's more than just choosing the better looking.  There are 3 formats to choose from at the moment: DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray.  DVD may look the worst but I'm still choosing it.  I'm not going to commit to either format because I don't want to commit to one only to have it to fail.  It could look like the most amazing ever that makes me crap my pants every time I see it but if there's a chance it's going to be beaten by another similar format for one reason or the other, I'm not going to risk buying that format only to have a wasted x format player and movies sitting around for that dead player.

One of these formats will eventually win (still say it's too early to tell) but it's going to be years until it actually makes a dent in DVD's.  Most people don't even have a TV that's capable of playing the HD format so they don't even care if it looks better.  The only reason that DVD took over VHS so easily (and even that was a long battle) was because DVD's offered far more than just it looks better.  The only things that HD-DVD and Blu-ray offers are that it's better looking (which most people can't even tell) and that there's more space (when most people don't even watch the special features on DVD's). 

Around the Network

many people said DVD would fail too. but the studios chose it and it became the stadard by force through time.

cant remember how many times movies began to appear on DVD and not VHS because of the studios choosing to go with DVD. people were pissed but eventually they bought a DVD player when they could.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

cgnobody said:
many people said DVD would fail too. but the studios chose it and it became the stadard by force through time.

cant remember how many times movies began to appear on DVD and not VHS because of the studios choosing to go with DVD. people were pissed but eventually they bought a DVD player when they could.

But see, moving from VHS to DVD could make sense for everybody that simply owned a TV.  From what I remember, DVD's weren't more expensive (the players were but they went down quickly), the DVD itself was more durable and lasted longer, and it was far more convenient than VHS.  

The HD format movies only offer better looking movies which even if most people could actually tell a difference they don't have the TV's to support it anyways and increased space which doesn't affect movies much other than TV series.

I'm not saying the next gen format will fail, just saying it's going to be an incredibly long and hard road to overtake DVD's or even put any kind of dent in them. 

Also, for everything new there are always going to be hoards of people yelling it's going to fail. 

twesterm said:
cgnobody said:

But see, moving from VHS to DVD could make sense for everybody that simply owned a TV.  From what I remember, DVD's weren't more expensive (the players were but they went down quickly), the DVD itself was more durable and lasted longer, and it was far more convenient than VHS.  

The HD format movies only offer better looking movies which even if most people could actually tell a difference they don't have the TV's to support it anyways and increased space which doesn't affect movies much other than TV series.

I'm not saying the next gen format will fail, just saying it's going to be an incredibly long and hard road to overtake DVD's or even put any kind of dent in them. 

Also, for everything new there are always going to be hoards of people yelling it's going to fail. 

not true, alot of people didn't even have an RCA compisite (yellow, red, white) input on their TVs.  many where forced to buy the RF adaptor to play the DVDs they purchased. 

and, yes it may be a long road ahead but not nearly as long as it took for DVD to overthrow VHS

people had to be convinced that replacing thier VHSs with DVDs was a good investment

this time around you only have to upgrade and you still get to enjoy your current collection into the years of tomorrow no re-purchasing required.  That is a much better saleing point that BR has that DVD never had.

RF adapters cost, what, $10 or $15 dollars? I don't think that would stop people from buying a DVD player.

As for the backwards compatibility thing, I did forget about that and it is one advantage that the new HD formats have going for them.

Around the Network

ya know, just thought i comment on the whole "PS has nothin to do with the format successor" thing:

and i'm sure alot of people can say that the PS2 played a large role in the success of DVD over VHS. seriously, most of the individuals i know and knew purchased a PS2 as their first DVD player. it was cheap, great quality, and served as a gaming device for the buyer as well.
many of my relatives have purchased PS2s to give their children for watching DVDs in their rooms.

even though PS3 may not win the "console war" it will definatly push the BR format into the spotlight and help with the success of BR as the next home video format. its a cheap BR player and it still plays DVDs (upscaled if you have the update)

gameing systems have helped mobilize other forms of media in the past, why should BR be any different.

and as for UMD: UMDs were never meant to be in competition with DVDs. to think so is stupid. UMD was made to implement a compact mobile media. all other portable media failed without even being noticed i.e. miniDVD.
most people i know never heard of miniDVD. it blew right by the consumer world. whereas UMD made a mark, maybe not a big one, but enough that people know and some even invest in it.

cgnobody said:

not true, alot of people didn't even have an RCA compisite (yellow, red, white) input on their TVs. many where forced to buy the RF adaptor to play the DVDs they purchased.

and, yes it may be a long road ahead but not nearly as long as it took for DVD to overthrow VHS

people had to be convinced that replacing thier VHSs with DVDs was a good investment

this time around you only have to upgrade and you still get to enjoy your current collection into the years of tomorrow no re-purchasing required. That is a much better saleing point that BR has that DVD never had.

Yes, but DVD could be enjoyed on a standard TV after buying the player, or with an extra $15 for an RF adaptor if required (as mentioned).

For Blu-ray and HD-DVD you need the player AND a very expensive new TV. The investment is much bigger this time around.

you dont NEED to buy an HDTV to watch a BR sir.

and the players come with standard outputs as well

Agree. You dont NEED to buy an HDTV.

But if I have a standard TV (like most people), what would be the point in adopting a HD format when I can't even display HD? Really, the extra space on the HD formats doesn't justify $400+ for that single benefit.

Ray007 said:
Agree. You dont NEED to buy an HDTV.

But if I have a standard TV (like most people), what would be the point in adopting a HD format when when I can't even disply HD?  Really, the extra space on the HD formats doesn't justify $400+ for that single benefit.

point taken.

i guess i can only speak for myself and my HDTV owning commrads. but if you want an HD movie player, i suggest going BR i makes more sense and offers more than the competition.

more support = more movies and media = more choices on the shelf = a happier consumer