By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

dam this thread is still going strong.. do yal really plan on keeping this thread going til HD dvd's death... i mean what if blu ray doesnt win.?? what will you do then oh my!! :}

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
MikeB said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

Although conspiracy theories are fun, note that Micrsoft has a major stake in HD DVD and only now when they are clearly losing this war are claiming that both HD DVD and Blu-Ray would soon become obsolete technology. Making such claims wouldn't make much sense from the perspective of a faked format war.

What major stake? Did they do anything other then allow Toshiba to make an HD-DVD drive for the 360? I wouldn't call that a major stake.

And calling it a conspiracy theory does not prove it didn't happen, especially since there is precedence for companies to keep secrets, such as nearly every third party developer keeping mum on the Wiimote's design until Nintendo revealed it. So it isn't unreasonable to assume that with ALMOST EVERY electronics company pushing HD (even Nintendo made the Wii with some HDTV standards), a couple companies, that had worked together before, would try a simple publicity stunt to get attention to their formats.

And it is simple. Most conspiracy theories involve elaborate plans. This is simply that Sony and Toshiba agreed to make two formats, and keep them around as long as it took to get people talking, even if one sold better and had greater support. It's just a larger scale game of good cop, bad cop. That's hardly a conspiracy.

"HDi (formerly iHD is a format developed by Microsoft and Toshiba for providing interactive menus and "special features" such as additional bonus/extras content and games for HD DVD (one of the high-definition video formats). "

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

cgnobody said:
i really can't understand why people get so defensive at the possibility of a media format overtaking another.

seriously gents, thats been happening for a long time.

when VHS was slowly replaced by DVD people said the same thing. and don't make it sound like DVD took over quickly with little opossition. many people hated the idea of the, at the time expensive, digital format. people didn't want to replace their already large investment in home videos.

the advantage to BR is that you don't have to replace you old DVD colection. just buy the new flick on BR as the come out. that what i've been doing.
i have a collection of 567 DVDs and a growing BR archive of 32. i love movies and have always been ready to flow with the media change.

consumers do have a certain amount of power as to whether DVD is replaced NOW. but in the future its the sources who provide the media whom ultimatly decide what format thet're going to put their product on in the years to come.
hollywood has obviously decided that the future of home video is upon them or they wouldn't be creating media in HD.

just like they put an end to VHS, they can do to DVD over time.

bitching about the unavoidable conclusion that formats will eventually change is futile. IMO

But you are assuming that just because blu-ray is here, it will overtake DVD. You don't know that is going to happen, so don't pretend it is inevitable. Something likely will overtake DVD, but the mass market decides when and what, not individuals.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Why Toshiba was zapped by the Blu-Ray http://www.it-director.com/blogs/Abrahams_Accessibility/2007/6/Why_Toshiba_was_zapped_by_the_Blu-Ray.html

Blue3 said:
JHawkNH said:

Blue3 said:

But who the hell woud choose a dvd over BR ? people will choose what looks better.

Isn't this the same type of argument that some Sony fanboys are useing to justify the purchase of PS3's? It doesn't seem to be working real well right now for the PS3. Why would this logic work for the HD disks (Blu-Ray or HD DVD) instead?

are you that delusional, take two thing put them side by side people will choose the better loking thing its humen nature.

Your asking if I am the one who is delusional?  I stated a reasonable question.  If your premise is true, then why isn’t the PS3 with arguably the best graphics outselling the competition hands down?  You still haven’t answered this question with anything but an opinion that is disproved by the fact that the PS3 is even being outsold by the PS2 and the GBA(in America). 

I am not saying that it is a sure thing that the HD Disc's will fail.  I am just question your assumtion that either of these formates will win based only on the fact that they are higher quality.

Around the Network
JHawkNH said:
Blue3 said:
JHawkNH said:

Blue3 said:

But who the hell woud choose a dvd over BR ? people will choose what looks better.

Isn't this the same type of argument that some Sony fanboys are useing to justify the purchase of PS3's? It doesn't seem to be working real well right now for the PS3. Why would this logic work for the HD disks (Blu-Ray or HD DVD) instead?

are you that delusional, take two thing put them side by side people will choose the better loking thing its humen nature.

Your asking if I am the one who is delusional? I stated a reasonable question. If your premise is true, then why isn’t the PS3 with arguably the best graphics outselling the competition hands down? You still haven’t answered this question with anything but an opinion that is disproved by the fact that the PS3 is even being outsold by the PS2 and the GBA(in America).

I am not saying that it is a sure thing that the HD Disc's will fail. I am just question your assumtion that either of these formates will win based only on the fact that they are higher quality.

maybe the price has something do do with it.

Br taking over form dvd is just a natural evolution that has been happening for decades now.

PS3 is even being outsold by the PS2 and the GBA(in America)

Price and games library. But the PS3 price will drop and the PS3 games library will expand, the PS2 costed 500 Euro (including VAT) at launch in Europe which when taking into account inflation is more than the current 600 dollar PS3 pricetag in the US and close to the current PS3 pricing in Europe including VAT. Currently however with much lower pricing and a large games library over 19 million slimline PS2s have been shipped by Sony Europe, making Europe the primary PS2 market.

The PS3 plays many of those great PS2 games as well, but by itself is not a reason to spend more on a PS3 instead of just buying a PS2. More and better PS3 games are needed to justify buying into Sony's high end Playstation product. More and better PS3 games are underway.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

i hav a ps3 and i play games n view high quality BR movie wiv it, i dont need another BR player anymore in the future, i saved space, the wiring behind my tv is less and i am so so happy wiv it

Blue3 said:
JHawkNH said:
Blue3 said:
JHawkNH said:

Blue3 said:

Your asking if I am the one who is delusional? I stated a reasonable question. If your premise is true, then why isn’t the PS3 with arguably the best graphics outselling the competition hands down? You still haven’t answered this question with anything but an opinion that is disproved by the fact that the PS3 is even being outsold by the PS2 and the GBA(in America).

I am not saying that it is a sure thing that the HD Disc's will fail. I am just question your assumtion that either of these formates will win based only on the fact that they are higher quality.

maybe the price has something do do with it.

Br taking over form dvd is just a natural evolution that has been happening for decades now.

I am glad you brought up this point.  This also works against Blu-Ray and HD DVD's.  Both the players and Discs are (much) more expensive then DVD's.  I still don't think it has been proven that the average consumer (and that is who you need for a device to become mainstream) is willing to pay the higher price for higher quality.  Now I do understand that the price difference between DVD's and HD will shrink as time goes on, but unless studios abandon DVD's all togather and produce only HD media and not corisponding DVD's.  Then it will take a very long time for either formate to become mainstream.  And in that time it is possible that a new formate may come into the picture that might top them all.

Again I am not saying that HD media won't win over DVD's.  I am just saying that right now it is to early to assume that any HD media will become the dominate format over DVD's.

cgnobody said:
Ray007 said:
Agree. You dont NEED to buy an HDTV.

But if I have a standard TV (like most people), what would be the point in adopting a HD format when when I can't even disply HD? Really, the extra space on the HD formats doesn't justify $400+ for that single benefit.

point taken.

i guess i can only speak for myself and my HDTV owning commrads. but if you want an HD movie player, i suggest going BR i makes more sense and offers more than the competition.

more support = more movies and media = more choices on the shelf = a happier consumer

Well you don't speak for all HD-TV owners either.  I have a 42 inch plasma, but I still use DVDs.  I won't be switching to any new format till I'm sure one has won, and that it won't be replaced in 2 years (and with stuff like HVD and downloadable movies constantly gaining popularity, I can see that happening).  Till then, I have satelite with quite a few movie channels and TiVo.  I continue to enjoy playing my very non-HD systems on my plasma as well (Wii and PS2).  I'll be getting a PS3 and 360 eventually, but for now I'm doing just fine. :)