By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

The HD-DVD side doesn't even have a disc writer yet. Bill gates probably shakes his head every time he hears about hd-dvd

Around the Network

Ya this thread is retarted. It's still like flipping a coin. I'm with Hd-dvd because most of the movies I want are on it. If Blu-Ray wins then I'll buy a cheap player later on, most likely a ps3 it should be able to get one for 200 when it happens.

There are supposed to be some $300 BD players or perhaps just a price drop this christmas, so you might want to wait a little while.

i do not think it was a good idea for sony to force blu-ray onto you with the ps3. if the blu-ray loses or ties the hd war, bad news for sony and the ps3. if it ties, people who watch movies on there ps3 blu-ray will be stuck with a very small selection of movies

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

I just checked out alienware computers b/c i'm looking for something new to replace my aging PC and was pleasantly surprised that they are BD EXCLUSIVE!!!

Around the Network

Ok, here is some actual news:

OCT. 16 | For now, Blu-ray Disc has an edge at regional mass merchant Meijer, which began offering Blu-ray titles exclusively on its Web site in mid-September.

The site offers about 300 Blu-ray titles, which is a full representation of releases that studios have streeted to this point.

Numbering about 180 outlets across Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Ohio, Meijer does offer a limited number of both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in stores.

The Meijer site is selling hardware in both formats, including Toshiba’s HD DVD and Samsung Blu-ray set-top players.

Meijer director of e-commerce marketing Dawn Bronkema said there are plans to also carry HD DVD titles on the site, but current in-store sales trends pushed the retailer to act first on expanding its Blu-ray selection.

“Blu-ray is currently outselling HD DVD with a ratio of four-to-one,” Bronkema said.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6491629.html

meijer.com and meijer local stores are only limited to the northern mideast (illinois, michigan, etc. area). no stores other than those several states only. So I wouldn't say it's any big news.

but I am thankful for them for I was able to get a $479 80gig/motorstorm ps3, a $338 Xbox premium with hdmi & Halo 3, and a backordered $399 60gig ps3. :D :D :D

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

dallas said:
There are supposed to be some $300 BD players or perhaps just a price drop this christmas, so you might want to wait a little while.

Yes, they did show the Funai player at Cedia last month.  BUT, they did not mention $299 and what they had was not even a WORKING prototype.  It had no disc-tray. Only the design with blue light.  You can see more about it on engadget though.  The cheapest one is a non-profile 1.1 compliant samsung player for $450 ($499 discounted for online stores).  40gig if out in USA will be $400.  That's still $200 more than the potential "retail" (not MSRP) of the Venturer HD DVD player 1080i.  If you are looking for 1080p, online retailers also have the HD-A30 HD DVD player with 2 movies (300 and Bourne Identity) packed in with 1080p24 for less than $300.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

WaxWorks to Offer Blu-ray Promo Kit

WaxWorks, a leading wholesale distributor of video media, will be offering each of their sell-through accounts a POP kit to educate consumers about the differences between DVD and Blu-ray. The kit will include two movie posters, three lanyards for employees, a demo DVD, and five brochures. The company will not be offering such a kit for HD DVD.
"They need these tools to be able to educate their consumers, and many of them have questions themselves that haven't been answered," commented Kirk Kirkpatrick, president of WaxWorks video division. "We think that, after talking to the studios, they feel it's important to have one format, and they've already picked sides."

The promotional material will ship October 29th and arrive in stores the first week of November.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=604

WaxWorks to Offer Blu-ray Promo Kit

WaxWorks, a leading wholesale distributor of video media, will be offering each of their sell-through accounts a POP kit to educate consumers about the differences between DVD and Blu-ray. The kit will include two movie posters, three lanyards for employees, a demo DVD, and five brochures. The company will not be offering such a kit for HD DVD.
"They need these tools to be able to educate their consumers, and many of them have questions themselves that haven't been answered," commented Kirk Kirkpatrick, president of WaxWorks video division. "We think that, after talking to the studios, they feel it's important to have one format, and they've already picked sides."

The promotional material will ship October 29th and arrive in stores the first week of November.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=604

Note from Dallas:  Another company shifting its loyalties to Blu-ray.  Who is coming over next?