By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - With FFXIII going multi, will Square still push the PS3 hardware?

I was actually looking forward to FFXIII for a couple of reasons... One, the game itself.  Two, to see what SE could do with a long development cycle and focus on pushing the PS3 hardware to their best ability.  With it going multi-platform, will SE still make that same effort to push the hardware or will they end up creating more of a "common" code-base that will worth on both platforms?  I'm convinced the Cell is a very, very powerful CPU and when pushed to the limit can really impress, but will multi-platform developers continue to make the effort?  GT5:P certainly sets the bar very, very high but we're still only 2 years into the PS3's life.  I really want to see some epic games that push the PS3 to the edge.  Maybe they are far enough along in development that it won't matter...

Note to trolls:  this isn't a bash on the 360 as the 360 hardware is very powerful and games like Gears 2 are going to illustrate that very, very well.  Leave the 360 out of this discussion.  This is about SE pushing the PS3 hardware to the best of their ability or perhaps instead creating a more portable code-base...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Well, they are developing it on the PC, and they have said that it is a recent decision so I doubt they will decrease what they are working on. Also, it is being primarily developed for the PS3, and the 360 development will only start once the PS3's development is over, so they will get the best out of the PS3, before perhaps having to cut back a bit when they port it to get it onto the Xbox

i agree, i am a lil disappointed that the game is going multi-plat for this reason also.

i feel that they are not going to push the ps3 hardware as far as they could have done

obieslut said:
i agree, i am a lil disappointed that the game is going multi-plat for this reason also.

i feel that they are not going to push the ps3 hardware as far as they could have done

Please see the post above yours.

They have sacrificed nothing. They are completely finishing development on the PS3 version BEFORE they even START on the 360 PORT.

Dolla Dolla said:
obieslut said:

Please see the post above yours.

They have sacrificed nothing. They are completely finishing development on the PS3 version BEFORE they even START on the 360 PORT.

The only thing that sucks is the delay. Yes this port will cause another big delay on this already delayed game.

Around the Network

The engine they're using was created to work with all platforms regardless. There is a large chance this game was destined to be multi-plat for a while. If they have a tweaked out version of the engine which specifically uses the PS3's resources, then we should be ok. But they WILL try to make these games similar, so I do have a fear they will cut-down on resource potential.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

There wasn´t plans to push the hardware to the limit, the plan was make a good dev framework to work on more plataforms (This is one of the reasons of the 360 port, it going to be easy if they developed the right tools to make the game)...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I think the only way they'll get fully maximized potential out of the console is if they publish the game. I have a feeling MGS4, and FFXIII won't be near what the consoles capable of :/ These companies need to keep a safety, hell I'm starting to doubt Versus will showcase Squares potential with the console >

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I don't think so. Both systems are very close spec wise. PS3 has the CPU and the 360 has the better GPU. In the end its a wash.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

If the PS3 version looks better than the XB360 one, this, added to uncomfortable disc switching, could suddenly make XB360 look older.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!