By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Site Looks Like crap in Firefox

Well, I never create a topic like this because I'm used to live with poor designed stuff... and VGChartz is changing the site every day, so I think it is normal to be bugged for a while...

but yes, this site is like crap nowadays, you can see with the W3C validator that they ignored several rules while writing it... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vgchartz.com

PLZ, correct it as soon as you can webmasters ;)

www.cuidar.com.br

Around the Network

I get the same error every so often when I go over the menu on the top of the page. Also using firefox.

I always use Firefox, and have had the problem in the past. But I tried a Ctrl-F5 (force refresh all), and it fixed it instantly (and it has never returned).

The problem is that javascript (or whatever) that controls the menu at the top has an old version cached on my local systems.

If Ctrl-F5 doesn't fix it, try clearing your web cache.

If that still doesn't fix it - maybe PM ioi with specifics on the issue. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

BenKenobi88 said:
It's apparently a Firefox problem...happens on a few sites. ioi probably should find a way to avoid this, but CTRL + F5 should fix it, whatever that does...

Ctrl-F5 forces your browser to ditch all cached files (for the website you are on) and redownload them from the webserver.  Even though you might tell IE (or FF) not to cache pages, they do it anyway, so forcing a refresh often fixes weird problems that only a few people encounter.  Another way some websites handle the problem is by attaching a randomly generated parameter (a fake one) to all URL's so that the browser doesn't realize its the same one, but it gets a bit messy when you do that for linking and stuff!

By the way, you've learned an important lesson...FF sucks! =)

ps...just kidding guys, seriously! 

I get this problem occasionally, so it's probably not a js issue. I think it's that the VGChartz server is pretty unstable and at times has trouble loading the entire page (I get this several times per day), which leads me to believe it's just the css failing to load in its entirety.

Fix the server stability issue, and the horizontal submenu will render correctly. 

Around the Network

I've never seen this problem, I used to run Firefox 2.x in XP, now I run it in Ubuntu, and I havent had a single problem.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 and I can't edit my posts (well I can when I use IE , but I just don't want to) ...

Well, it's acting up on my Firefox starting today.

However, it's a very simple fix - just some minor CSS work on the submenu height and/or padding - I've attached three screenshots of how the page contents shifts depending on the number of entries in the submenu:

[ No submenu ]

[ Submenu example 1 ]

[ Submenu example 2 ]

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I had actually already cleared the cache and done a force refresh before posting in the first place, however I did so again and the site still has the same problem for me. Not sure is different about my computer/setup, but it doesn't agree with this website.

As for renaming the file, I would think the file is being called/referenced from several locations on the site and as a result it would defeat the purpose of the file (aka one central point to update all the pages).

I would like to point out that it this problem has been common for a number of people, and it might be worth rethinking the design of the top bar menu a bit and going with something that works more consistently. Its your site to run, and you probably have a number of other changes that are needed, but this seems to have effected a number of people.

Either way, its a very annoying problem, and any ideas for a fix are welcome.

To Each Man, Responsibility