By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Screen Digest on PS3,Wii,360: We don't know what is going to happen yet

Dryden said:

Senior marketing execs at SCEE have said that it was decided to build a brand rather than inform consumers as to the technical benefits and value of the PS3 platform.

*cough*

"decided to build a brand rather than inform consumers"

*cough* 

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!

It has the word 'PlayStation' stamped on it, for crying out loud! Let's just go ahead and consider the brand 'built!' Now, stop wasting money on the moronic 'This is Living' Internet campaign and start telling consumers why they should buy a PS3 now, how it is such a terrific value (even at $600), and floor us with the technical benefits.

Hint: Babies bleeding from their eyes doesn't accomplish this either.

*shakes, scratches head, walks off* 

Absurd.

Bundle 5 Blu-ray movies and 3-5 games and it'll speak for itself

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Here is an interesting question, directed mostly at you TheSource, do you think the PS3 would be doing better if the PSP hadn't been released then dominated by the DS, making people lose confidence in Sony's power in the market?

TheSource said:

Well as you note, I don't think it will split that closely either. I was just going off the article inferences for that generic breakdown.

My prediction is more like:

Wii - 88 million (25 million Japan, 35 million Americas, 28 million Europe/Others)

PS3 - 65 million (7 million Japan, 25 million Americas, 33 million Europe/Others)

360 - 54 million (1 million Japan, 40 million Americas, 13 million Europe/Others)

Basically, Sony loses 1/4 of their audience in Europe/Others, Sony loses 3/4 of their audience in Japan, Sony loses almost 1/2 (44%) of their audience in the Americas.

Microsoft sees 2.35x growth in the USA to a level almost as big as PS2, with Wii doing nearly as well, and PS3 doing population growth adjusted N64 numbers. Microsoft roughly doubles their market in Europe and Japan as well.

Nintendo grows 6x bigger in Japan, about 3x bigger in the Americas, and 7x bigger in Europe, and has record profit.

These are pretty much my predictions, as far as which console wins which region. Because I do not like to predict with exact numbers, I would say that those would be good estimates as to how the sales could be.

naznatips said:
Here is an interesting question, directed mostly at you TheSource, do you think the PS3 would be doing better if the PSP hadn't been released then dominated by the DS, making people lose confidence in Sony's power in the market?

I believe that the DS's success is a big driving force for the Wii. Had the DS been pummeled by the PSP, Wii would not be doing as well. As for PS3/PSP, I believe that the PS3 would only be doing a bit better, due to the price being the biggest influence of sales.

oh sorry theSource, I misunderstood your first post and was writing post while you posted the second time so I did not see that before I posted.

But 88m is still a bit higher than you had the wii a few months ago, isn't it?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

Market hierarchy by region for home consoles:

Japan

1) Wii

2) PS3

3) XBox 360

Americas

1) Wii

2) XBox 360

3) PS3

Europe, Australia 'n' PALS

1) Wii

2) XBox 360

3) PS3

"We don't know what is going to happen yet" Base answer for cowardly analysts. The answers are very clear if they have the guts to voice them. Also known as Fence-Sitters, Hedge-Betters, Windway-Followers, Bandwagon-Jumpers, Herd-Packers, Sheep-Thinkers, Wimps, Wusses, Weaklings, and Scaredy-Cats. To name a select few. Oops and left out Mike-Pachters.

The answer's been clear for nearly 2 years folks. When are they gonna give it up? There's no drama in this contest. Very foregone conclusion. Save it for the 8th gen.

Oh and 88 million for Wii is seriously cutting 'em short, Source. Wii will outsell PS2 by far this gen. Maybe even, shall I pull a Niles Standish, DOUBLING It.

"WHAT?!?!"

Yeah you heard me. Doubling it.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

It is very hard to predict how things will go. I wish more people would just say this. We can make reasonable predictions maybe what happens between now and year's end. But going through 2008, 2009 and beyond there are things like the format wars (Blue Ray vs HDTV), price cuts, HD penetration, and game lineup that none of us can conprehend fully. When people say they think the Wii can't sell less than 80 million or that the PS3 won't get past 30 million or some crap I just have to awe in their ignorance. How they hell do they know? Going by early trends we know is a crap way to predict ultimate winners and losers, just look at DS vs PSP or PS1 vs N64.

And John Lucas should be called the official idiot of these boards.

Christopher_G2 said:

It is very hard to predict how things will go. I wish more people would just say this. We can make reasonable predictions maybe what happens between now and year's end. But going through 2008, 2009 and beyond there are things like the format wars (Blue Ray vs HDTV), price cuts, HD penetration, and game lineup that none of us can conprehend fully. When people say they think the Wii can't sell less than 80 million or that the PS3 won't get past 30 million or some crap I just have to awe in their ignorance. How they hell do they know? Going by early trends we know is a crap way to predict ultimate winners and losers, just look at DS vs PSP or PS1 vs N64.

And John Lucas should be called the official idiot of these boards.

Yeah, I second that. Post me on site as "VGChartz' Official Idiot" making me mascot of site.

And as my predictions come true watch the irony of that title. That's a good idea Christopher_G2.

It's very easy to predict ANYTHING if you have the proper information. Some people are just braver than others.

John Lucas

Adding note: You couldn't possibly predict 100 million range sales in the early 90's for videogames based on the massive 62 million for NES, 49 million for SNES, 29 million for Genesis. But damn on isn't that exactly what happened as the PS1 opened up the market to new people? And same for PS2?

How in the hell do you think Wii can't further this more with the kinds of people they are trying to reach? 200 million range sales may seem unfathomable right now but that's just like the early 1990's perspective before PS1 broke the 100 million man piñata wide open.

There are 6.5 billion people on planet earth. There is MUCH more room for market growth.

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Lucas they don't actually say "we don't know", I put that in the thread title because Screen Digest said 112 million DS, 67 million PSP, but gave no numbers for this battle.

Also, there is a trend suggesting that the market will grow just past 250 million consoles sold - in total.  But I have my doubts that will happen..so I really, really doubt any console will sell 250 million for at least 15 years.

But,

Atari's first gen to NES...30-35 million to 65-70 million

..NES-PS1 gen...call it 68 million to 135 million or so...

PS1 to current gen...270 million? Possible..not likely, but not too out there either.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Christopher_G2 said:

You are right that we only can predict what happens until year's end and maybe a little more, but this is what DECIDES the console race. When all consoles are out for 1.5/2 years, sales trends will be very clear and there is almost no possibility to change them anymore, because by that time, one console will be the winner and therefore be supported by a lot of developers and only grow it's userbase.
Of course this generation is a little different, because at least one console will find it's niche and sell quite good (much like the PSP, for example). but just like nobody believes that the PSP will ever take the lead from the DS, nobody will believe that the 360 takes back the lead from the Wii (or the other way around) in mid 2008.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)