By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until the following sales statements be true: Wii>GC, 360>Xbox

I understand Wii is projected to about 10 million units by September. Figure another 6-10 depending on supply for the holiday. So I'm guessing between March and June.

The 360 obviously has no trouble with supply. I figure on a price drop come Fall. The sold about 6 million this holiday. With a price cut, Halo 3 and GTA4, have to expect to better that number this year. So I expect about 8-10 million sold this holiday, and passing its predecessor by June. Of course most of these sales can be attributed to the same 43 people who have to get new 360s every other week.

And even though you didn't ask, I figure the PS3 will surpass the PS2 sometime in 2023.

Around the Network
martijnve said:
DonWii said:
PS3 would only catch PS2 if BR wins the format war tommorow and PS3 is always cheaper than stand alone BR players, IMO.

The only way the ps3 is gonna get the sales speed to catch up with the ps2 is for sony to dorp its price to $250 immediately. However is they do that they will be bankrubt in no time.

DonWii said:
gorgepir said:
DonWii said:
PS3 would only catch PS2 if BR wins the format war tommorow and PS3 is always cheaper than stand alone BR players, IMO.

No it wont

Why not? IF BR were the way of the future, and the PS3 is the cheapest BR player in the market, then people would buy the PS3 for their high-def viewing. Granted, it may take a few more years for people to start upgrading to BR, but, again, IF PS3 were the cheapest BR player, then PS3 sales would be high, because it would be the more economical BR player in the market. And, as a bonus, it doubles as a computer. Oh, and plays games.

In a year or so the ps3 wont be the cheapest br player on the markey anymore.

I dont see it happening, ever.

The PS3 is not the cheapest BR player now! Sony recently cut their BR price to $499.

WoW. I wish I could make the text bigger, so that people would see the IF.

I said that the PS3 would ONLY, In MY Opinion, catch PS2 IF!!!!!!!!! BR wins format war, i.e. NO MORE HD-DVD in the market, AND!!!!!! PS3 is ALWAYS!!!!!! cheapest BR Player, THEN the PS3 COULD!!!!!! do PS2 numbers.

This was a response to the 3rd comment made on this thread, asking The Source if this meant that The Source believed that, because he was only stating 360 and Wii passing their previous consoles.

The only person that understood was libellule, and anyone else who did not even bring that up.

Geez.

TheSource said:

Well what do you all think?

When will Wii pass GC worldwide sales of ~ 21.5-22 million?

When will Xbox 360 pass Xbox worldwide sales of ~ 24-24.5 million?

Wii should pass GC worldwide sales by June of 2008. I'm expecting sales of 16-18 million for Wii by the end of 2007, with ever increasing production rates to try to meet demand.

Xbox 360 is at 10 million. I expect it to be at 14-16 million by the end of 2007, with a price drop to come in early 2008. That should boost sales quite a bit in the USA. Still, I do not expect Xbox 360 pass Xbox worldwide until early 2009 (I have the Xbox 360 at 22-24 million by the end of 2008). My guess would be that 360 passes Xbox around February 2009.

Hahahahahahaha! I love these questions.

Ready?

1) End of 2007 (remember I said AT LEAST 20 million but my best case scenario is 24 million by 2007's end)

2) Let me think....ummm....maybe 2009. I'll toss in 2nd half of 2009 just to narrow it down. Want a month? OK uhhh...let's say within September 2009. Right in the middle of 2009's 2nd half. Just an educated guess.

3) Once again end of 2007. Gamecube total sales will be beat by Wii in little over one year.

4) XBox 360 won't break 14 million mark by end of 2007. May get close but won't break. They won't see 14-16 million until a good ways into 2008. End of 2008 they're looking at a little over 20 million at best.

Are we done here? Oh, OK. Thanks. See ya later.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Wii pass Gamecube within a year.
360 will take over a year and a half.
PS3 will take a miracle, so when the Angels win the Pennant.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

Are you suggesting that the Angels winning the Pennant would be a miracle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

heh the Royals winning the pennant would take a miracle..

Lucas believe it or not I would agree with you on both if not for the potential of a 360 price drop boosting 360 alot, and if not for Nintendo's limited production capacity & underestimation of Wii demand.

Still, I'd like to see how you change your predictions if Wii doesn't doesn't catch Xbox  360 in the next 7 weeks (vgcharts data is through June 10 - 7 weeks from now would be July 29).  I'd be pleasently surprised if you were right though, since I do have a bit of money invested in Nintendo.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Jesus, did no one see Angels in the Outfield?

I'm pooping old pop culture here!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

I thought the gamecube sold more WW than the xbox, since the xbox has been dead for over 1 year now and the GC still selling.

So did I. People keep telling me otherwise, however.