By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - new ubisoft shovelware title announced for the ds and wii.

Sherlock99 said:

^^can you please name one ubisoft wii shovelware title that sold 500,000 copies?

Define shovelware young Holmes. What score would it need on Metacritic to be considered shovelware? I'm sure you would consider this Ubisoft monstrosity shovelware:

but it scored better than this:

and this:

and this:

and yes this too:

plus it's only 2% lower than this:

and this:

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

As I said before, "shovelware" is in the eye of the beholder, and some of the beholders here on VG Chartz strike me as being more than a bit harsh. To me, the only games that truly deserve to be called shovelware are games along the lines of Superman on the N64 and Big Rigs Over the Road Racing. Games that are authentically bad because they're not even complete, and what is there doesn't work right at all.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
As I said before, "shovelware" is in the eye of the beholder, and some of the beholders here on VG Chartz strike me as being more than a bit harsh. To me, the only games that truly deserve to be called shovelware are games along the lines of Superman on the N64 and Big Rigs Over the Road Racing. Games that are authentically bad because they're not even complete, and what is there doesn't work right at all.

Absolutely. There are many respected developers, including Nintendo that make low scoring games but I'm sure no one here will admit to it as shovelware. People find redeeming qualities in games like Wii Play but will hang Petz: Catz 2 out to dry by name only. I guarantee not one detractor of that game has actually spent even a minute with it, nor will anyone even try this Hell's Kitchen game. It's already been prejudged as shovelware, the same as The Dog Island was before the jaws hit the floor as it accumulated a metacritic average of 70. Try to remember that's only 6% lower than Wii Sports, and now think of how much fun that game is.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

if this game was rated M for strong language... i'll be honest... i would rent this game... for the laughs

irstupid said:
why would nintendo care what games get released on their console. they get profit if some shit game manages to sell

and if it does manage to sell, then by golly it wasn't a bad choice because peopel wanted to get a game like this.

if the game dont' sell, it doesn't hurt nintendo one bit.

It will hurt Nintendo when people who are new to gaming pick up these games and relise they are shit and stop buying games for their wii because they assume all games are like that.

These third parties are just in it for a short term gain, they dont care what damage they do to the wii's image. Where I thought Nintendo wanting to expand the gaming market abd bring new gamers in. Well as fast as Nintendo are bringing new gamers in, the likes of ubisoft are raping and pilaging them and putting them of games.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

and some people were saying dont boycott ubisoft

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

misteromar mk4 said:
irstupid said:
why would nintendo care what games get released on their console. they get profit if some shit game manages to sell

and if it does manage to sell, then by golly it wasn't a bad choice because peopel wanted to get a game like this.

It will hurt Nintendo when people who are new to gaming pick up these games and relise they are shit and stop buying games for their wii because they assume all games are like that.

These third parties are just in it for a short term gain, they dont care what damage they do to the wii's image. Where I thought Nintendo wanting to expand the gaming market abd bring new gamers in. Well as fast as Nintendo are bringing new gamers in, the likes of ubisoft are raping and pilaging them and putting them of games.

raping and pillaging was a large factor in the videogame crash.

skip said:
misteromar mk4 said:
irstupid said:

raping and pillaging was a large factor in the videogame crash.

Custer's Revenge joke? That was brilliant if that's what you were going for.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp. The original video game crash was indeed caused by, amongst other things, poor quality control. But here's the rub: there was quite literally nothing worthwhile coming out for any system before and during the video game crash. The Wii, on the other hand, has a brand that gamers of all types know to turn to should there be no other offerings: Nintendo. But that's not the case. People here at VG Chartz have utterly overblown the Ubisoft situation so far afield of reality that it amazes me that nobody has called the Ubisoft boycotters on it before this.

As I addressed before, there are very few people who would seriously decide to quit playing on a platform entirely because of games that they never, ever, ever plan to get and have no interest in whatsoever. If the majority of people refused to play a system simply because it had games on it that they didn't like, then the PlayStation 2 would never have taken off at all (nor would any successful console ever have taken off, for that matter). Saying that shovelware can kill a system is shortsighted as all-get-out, if not a borderline ludicrous claim. It's the lack of good software, not the presence of bad software, that kills a platform.

Anyway, Ubisoft is not "killing" the Wii. They're using it and the DS both as a springboard platform to put the budgets into their high-profile games. Just like almost every other development company does. The fact that they're mostly putting out their downmarket games on Wii, and mostly putting their upmarket games on 360 and PS3, is just a form of demographic identification. They're not even that far off in their assessment, either; not one hardcore game has done anywhere near as well as the downmarket games like Wii Fit have on the Wii, save the ones made by Nintendo. And like most companies, Ubisoft doesn't understand why, so they go with the easiest formula: put the downmarket stuff on Wii (where they know it'll sell), and put the upmarket stuff on 360 and PS3 (where they know it'll sell).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Onyxmeth said:
Sherlock99 said:

^^can you please name one ubisoft wii shovelware title that sold 500,000 copies?

Define shovelware young Holmes. What score would it need on Metacritic to be considered shovelware? I'm sure you would consider this Ubisoft monstrosity shovelware:

but it scored better than this:

and this:

and this:

and yes this too:

plus it's only 2% lower than this:

and this:

the games you listed there not even shovelware titles, and no one answered my question. 
please name one ubisoft wii shovelware title that sold 500,000 copies?

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99