By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: Hating on the casuals

JaggedSac said:
HappySqurriel said:
Desroko said:
Pristine20 said:
For those nintendo fans who fail to see the problems casuals bring to the industry, I remember reading an article where Miyamoto said it took a third of the team used to develop Zelda for the wii to develop wii fit. It also took much less time. Without a doubt, wii fit would eventually rake in way more profits than Zelda. Do you see where this is heading? What do you think the shareholders would want from Miyamoto next? Another Zelda or a more advanced wii fit? Corporate greed is everywhere. You may fail to see any fault in anything nintendo has done but even they would further sponsor this demographic shift by capitalizing on the ridiculous profits from licensing Dogz and Catz. I remember back in the day when the nintendo fans used to praise nintendo and condemn Sony because of nintendo's seal of approval that every game had to meet. Whatever happened to that?

Unlike you, businessmen and investors are aware of concepts like diversification and opportunity costs. THey understand that these are not mutualy exclusive strategies.

Don't forget market saturation ... Romantic comedies are far less expensive than big budget blockbuster movies and tend to have (much) higher profit margins yet movie studios continue to make both types of movies. If they only made one type of movie few of those movies would be all that popular, while many consumers would see not point in seeing movies.

I would not use the Hollywood movie system as an example for your point.  Hollywood studios gladly kill the souls of movies in order for better profit.  Look at Die Hard 4 as an example.  PG-13 movies have a larger crowd, but Die Hard is a movie that should not be pulling punches and upping the stunt factor.  The vast majority of blockbuster movies are garbage aimed at the center of a target, not trying to create an engaging story.  Luckily there are smaller studios out there to provide some engaging content.

And video game studios don't do this? Everything you said describes both industries, except the video game industry has a narrower target, for the most part.

Around the Network

Gee, as a gamer from the Atari 2600 era, I would argue that games like Halo and COD have ruined the industry. All this FPS crap with autosaves where dying just doesn't mean much of anything.

Try some of the older games sometime, they were MUCH harder than today's games. That's why I love Fire Emblem. Its challenging, and if one of your guys dies, that's it, they are gone.

Desroko said:

I agree some, disagree some. For fun's sake, I'll summarize the disagreement.

I'm torn on the "looking down" on people thing, because I admittedly don't think much of the idolatry of video game storytelling. I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I didn't mention that I share some of that snobbish attitude, albeit aimed in a different direction. The sort of dreck for which we would rightly mock Hollywood is praised and exalted on the internets if it happens to come with a controller and a 30-hour-plus running time attached. It's a very strange blind spot that this particular subculture has.

Then again, I'm the first to say that quality is subjective. I don't like Smash Bros., Guitar Hero, or Gran Turismo, to pick three, but I don't think they're bad games. On the contrary, I think it's clear that as far as their genres go, they're at or near the top. They just don't appeal to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to each his own, c'est la vie, insert tolerant cliche here.

On one ofyour other notes, I don't think that the Wii audience is going to look all that different from the PS2's in the end. I see both as largely mainstream-oriented machines. The casual segment is definitely more visible this time around, but I don't know if it's significantly larger. If anything, it's probably just natural growth of the indsutry as the population grows and new generations find gaming. There have always been new gamers - it just happens to be highlighted this time around, the way "mature gamers" were mistakenly thought to be a new breed in he 90s.

You make some good points, and I actually don't think we disagree for the most part. I'm (mostly) not down on the games that are most glamorized now. On the contrary, I play and enjoy many of them. My problem is that as times went on it seemed like we'd be seeing most games focusing only on appealling to that same demographic, and the easiest way to do that is to make it bigger and flashier (which often leaves less money for creativity and originality). I'm struggling to put this into words, but take a look at the biggest non-Nintendo games we have coming this year: they're all calculated to appeal to the 16-25 year old male first, with everyone else somewhere far, far behind (possible exception: Little Big Planet, Guitar Hero).

That should be fine with me (a 23 year old male), except I know that by solely targeting the same small group you'll quickly grow stale. To put it bluntly, I'm bored with most shooters already, which eliminates a massive chunk of the year's big games, and I'm getting sick of hyper-realism. To paraphrase Iwata, I love my steak dinner, but sometimes I just want a plain quesadilla. I'm rambling now, though, so I think I'll cut myself short.

And I do firmly believe the Wii is much more mainstream than the PS2 ever was. The PS2 had (and has!) astounding sales, but much of that has to do with Sony opening Europe while also kicking arse in the Americas and Japan. Despite that, Nintendo's still outselling the PS2 when you compare their performance since launch, while still charging full price. And I think it will continue to, if the similarly-aimed DS is anything to judge by. Still, I lack the hard data to prove my case for now, so I'll concede that you may be right.

And I need to start typing faster...

noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
Desroko said:
NJ5 said:

The problem this generation is that the hardcore gamers feel to be drastically outnumbered. In previous generations a lot of gamers were sharing their love for a particular console, although it wasn't for exactly the same reasons. Then along comes the Wii and suddenly a shift occurs which is apparently hard to understand for a lot of hardcore gamers.

They try to explain it with "most Wii owners are new to gaming" and hope that 100m PS2/Xbox owners are still sitting there only waiting for the PS3/360 to come down in price before they upgrade. But in reality, the core gamers are migrating to the Wii because they see great value and potential for new gaming experiences on Nintendo's system.

Even that is hard to understand for most hardcore gamers though. From their point of view new gaming experiences mean better graphics, better AI and more realism. They are really bitter about the Wii's success because it goes against their world view.

I agree with most of this, but I think the root of the matter is that the snobcore are smart enough to realize what's happening: daddy's got a new kid, so the they're no longer gaming's only little princess.

That sound harsher than I intended, but I think it holds true nonetheless. They've said it outright themselves several times: they have a problem with casual gaming because they fear more and more developers will start making games that appeal to people beyond their narrow niche. The fact that the current arms race is unsustainable, and that it's driving the same developers they count on out of business doesn't mean squat to them.  Your last paragraph in particular nailed that.

So no, I actually think that the snobcore understand what's going on perfectly fine. And that's why they're afraid.

This is a very good post, primarily for the bolded sentence as well as the term "snobcore" which I've never encountered before (your invention, or...?)

The fact is, these guys aren't hardcore, at least not in the way that I or anyone that played games before the advent of the PS One really understood the term. They like a very narrow group of IPs, genres, or templates and anything that falls outside of them is viewed with effete disdain. Gaming isn't a hobby to these guys--it's who they are. And when I read screeds like this all I get from it is that it's also a quasi-religious faith; that they are the priests that decide what is holy and what is heretical.

And, to them, nothing is more heretical than 'casual' games or the people that play them. Therefore, for the good of the flock, they must be cast into hellfire to safeguard the purity of the faith. The bitter irony (for them, if they could see how foolish they sound), of course, is that the casual gamers  have no idea fools like this exist and would probably be pretty amazed to read such vitriol coming down from the pulpit of the angry arch-nerd, venting his impotent fury at a blindly-supportive audience.

But what makes me most upset about idiotic screeds like this is simply that they find the time to get worked up about franchises and genres that are in no danger at all of not seeing yet another sequel, spin-off, or remake. There will always be another Metal Gear or Final Fantasy or Gears of War (or some other title that fits that template) coming down the line and in large numbers. These games, like the dread scourge mini-game compilation, make money so there will always be more. How you could sit down and type something like this up, with the snobcore gamer as the central victim in some epic pity play, when literally all of the evidence flies in the face of your table-banging, red-faced screeching beggars the abyssal depths of logic and imagination.

Lastly, let me just throw my two cents in on what I think, classicly, a hardcore gamer is:

You're open to playing games regardless of:

*Graphical or aural presentation.

*Apparent age suitability.

*Lack or thinness of storyline.

*Difficulty level.

*Platform the game is on, be it portable, console, or PC (and drilling down to, say, Wii, 360 or PS3).

*Territory in which it originated.

There's more, but I think that's a reasonable start to what it actually means to be "hardcore" (at least in my eyes) and why a snobcore gamer can't possibly be hardcore, at least in regards to the screed featured in the OP.

Note: I also want to stress that what a lot of these people consider "awesome" in games would be laughed out of the building in literature, movies, etc.

Around the Network
exindguy said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
Desroko said:
NJ5 said:

This is a very good post, primarily for the bolded sentence as well as the term "snobcore" which I've never encountered before (your invention, or...?)

The fact is, these guys aren't hardcore, at least not in the way that I or anyone that played games before the advent of the PS One really understood the term. They like a very narrow group of IPs, genres, or templates and anything that falls outside of them is viewed with effete disdain. Gaming isn't a hobby to these guys--it's who they are. And when I read screeds like this all I get from it is that it's also a quasi-religious faith; that they are the priests that decide what is holy and what is heretical.

And, to them, nothing is more heretical than 'casual' games or the people that play them. Therefore, for the good of the flock, they must be cast into hellfire to safeguard the purity of the faith. The bitter irony (for them, if they could see how foolish they sound), of course, is that the casual gamers have no idea fools like this exist and would probably be pretty amazed to read such vitriol coming down from the pulpit of the angry arch-nerd, venting his impotent fury at a blindly-supportive audience.

But what makes me most upset about idiotic screeds like this is simply that they find the time to get worked up about franchises and genres that are in no danger at all of not seeing yet another sequel, spin-off, or remake. There will always be another Metal Gear or Final Fantasy or Gears of War (or some other title that fits that template) coming down the line and in large numbers. These games, like the dread scourge mini-game compilation, make money so there will always be more. How you could sit down and type something like this up, with the snobcore gamer as the central victim in some epic pity play, when literally all of the evidence flies in the face of your table-banging, red-faced screeching beggars the abyssal depths of logic and imagination.

Lastly, let me just throw my two cents in on what I think, classicly, a hardcore gamer is:

*Difficulty level.

*Platform the game is on, be it portable, console, or PC (and drilling down to, say, Wii, 360 or PS3).

There's more, but I think that's a reasonable start to what it actually means to be "hardcore" (at least in my eyes) and why a snobcore gamer can't possibly be hardcore, at least in regards to the screed featured in the OP.

Note: I also want to stress that what a lot of these people consider "awesome" in games would be laughed out of the building in literature, movies, etc.

It seems we're in perfect agreement (and yeah, snobcore's mine). I would say though that it's probably best not to segregate ourselves into "hardcore" and "others." In my mind, you either play games, or you should. I don't much care if you're in the Halo/Gears/Metal Gear crowd, or if you just play Diner Dash and Peggle once in a while. Either one makes you a gamer, and the snobcore's insistence on having you meet their criteria before they consider you a real gamer makes me sad. It's exclusionary and ultimately counter-productive.

It's even worse than that, though, because the definition of whether a game/gamer is "hardcore" or not seems to shift every year. Where once it was those damn Madden-playing PlayStation people who were killing gaming, now it's those retarded Wii Play owners. Where GTA III was considered to be a casual game four years ago, now it's the king of the hardcore. I don't know, but that whole attitude just makes me depressed.

noname2200 said:

It seems we're in perfect agreement (and yeah, snobcore's mine). I would say though that it's probably best not to segregate ourselves into "hardcore" and "others." In my mind, you either play games, or you should. I don't much care if you're in the Halo/Gears/Metal Gear crowd, or if you just play Diner Dash and Peggle once in a while. Either one makes you a gamer, and the snobcore's insistence on having you meet their criteria before they consider you a real gamer makes me sad. It's exclusionary and ultimately counter-productive.

It's even worse than that, though, because the definition of whether a game/gamer is "hardcore" or not seems to shift every year. Where once it was those damn Madden-playing PlayStation people who were killing gaming, now it's those retarded Wii Play owners. Where GTA III was considered to be a casual game four years ago, now it's the king of the hardcore. I don't know, but that whole attitude just makes me depressed.

I pretty much agree with this (we dont' really need a delineation) but I felt compelled to offer a checklist, so to speak, to sort of drive my point home about how these guys are fighting a meaningless battle when they're not even what they think they are.

Good thread

lmaooooo the way guy was ranting truly hilarious i will save that to my favorites

If I'm going to be honest, that may be why I've abandoned the term as well. I REALLY don't want to associate myself with that type of person.

exindguy said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
Desroko said:
NJ5 said:

The problem this generation is that the hardcore gamers feel to be drastically outnumbered. In previous generations a lot of gamers were sharing their love for a particular console, although it wasn't for exactly the same reasons. Then along comes the Wii and suddenly a shift occurs which is apparently hard to understand for a lot of hardcore gamers.

They try to explain it with "most Wii owners are new to gaming" and hope that 100m PS2/Xbox owners are still sitting there only waiting for the PS3/360 to come down in price before they upgrade. But in reality, the core gamers are migrating to the Wii because they see great value and potential for new gaming experiences on Nintendo's system.

Even that is hard to understand for most hardcore gamers though. From their point of view new gaming experiences mean better graphics, better AI and more realism. They are really bitter about the Wii's success because it goes against their world view.

I agree with most of this, but I think the root of the matter is that the snobcore are smart enough to realize what's happening: daddy's got a new kid, so the they're no longer gaming's only little princess.

That sound harsher than I intended, but I think it holds true nonetheless. They've said it outright themselves several times: they have a problem with casual gaming because they fear more and more developers will start making games that appeal to people beyond their narrow niche. The fact that the current arms race is unsustainable, and that it's driving the same developers they count on out of business doesn't mean squat to them.  Your last paragraph in particular nailed that.

So no, I actually think that the snobcore understand what's going on perfectly fine. And that's why they're afraid.

And, to them, nothing is more heretical than 'casual' games or the people that play them. Therefore, for the good of the flock, they must be cast into hellfire to safeguard the purity of the faith. The bitter irony (for them, if they could see how foolish they sound), of course, is that the casual gamers  have no idea fools like this exist and would probably be pretty amazed to read such vitriol coming down from the pulpit of the angry arch-nerd, venting his impotent fury at a blindly-supportive audience.

*Difficulty level.

So pet catz and hungry lions is your choice for new IPs. Have fun playing!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler