By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Wii is a fad then the DS is a fad

And clearly the DS is not a fad,

Im sick of seeing in denial fanboys saying the Wii is a fad and will die off, if this were the case then why the hell has the DS sold so damn well LTD?

I see articles after articles from developers scared to open their imagination claiming the 'Imagination Pool is Shallow' for the Wii.

It's a new way to play games, it doesn't mean every single unique game has to have a totally new way to control your character(s), geez, people just want the controlling implemented well, it's not rocket science, is that so hard to do?

A: Apparently, to Sega anyway.

In my opinion you can do more with a motion sensor then a touch screen, and from what I've seen, over 50% of DS game released this year don't implement the touch screen to well, but they still sell, and 3rd party developers arn't complaining.

Speaking of which, lets take the market for the handhelds for example, there is the PSP, high powered, awesome graphics, it cost more then the DS, however it has been arguably beaten to a pulp.

This will be and pretty much already is the fact for the home consoles, Wii being the cheaper, less powered, innovative but most of all: 'best selling' console.

Honestly how many of you play Wii for extended hours and then sit down and play something on the 360 or PS2(3) and have never thought to yourself, 'Damn this game would be good with motion sensor capabilities'!!..?

I know I have.

And we haven't even seen the start of Wii's capabilities, Mario Kart will revolutionize racing games assuming the user will use the Wii remote on its side to control the Karts, no-ones gonna want to press 'left or right' to steer future games anymore, unless you buy a freakin expensive steering wheel attachment.

And once we see a proper killer FPS (Here's hoping MP3) it's going to be hard to go back to the joystick/thumstick way of aiming your pointer.

Rest assured, the Wii is here to stay, but hey, that's just my thoughts =)

Around the Network

I still prefer non motion controls over some motion controls... ie; I wish all games gave me the option of using the Classic Controller rather than restricting it to Waggle...

Personally I would have preferred to play Zelda TP without the waggle but with the pointer... I just wanted to press the A button to fight, not shake the remote like i'm having a wank.

It all depends on the implementation and I agree with you completely that the Wii brings a new way of playing and opens up so many doors (just like the DS). I also believe the Wii will be just as successful as the DS is currently.

Personally for me the best thing about the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination is the split hants and I love the pointer... can't wait to play MP3 and RE4 like that. I hate shaking the remote to perform a function these days.

I always used waggle, and was happy with it, for TP, so i'm not sure about this, but i was under the belief that you could opt to press 'A' as well

ArtofAngels fanboys will think what they want. Now if Sony and Microsoft are foolish enough to assume the Wii is a fad, then there would be a problem.

I prefer if the majority of Wii games didn't just add motion because they are on the Wii. So unless the game is built around motion controls then they shouldn't force it in. That's why I like that SSBB doesn't force motion controls and I'm assuming Galaxy will only use as much motion as TP did or around that much and the rest of the controls will be traditional...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

The DS and Wii, while they attract a very similar market, aren't etirely the same. The DS is cheaper and is in the handheld market Nintendo has dominated for a long time. The Wii is the console where Nintendo is coming back to relevence in the console market. The Wii will also face a lot more competition from the 360 and PS3 in 2008 and beyond than the DS will ever face from the PSP or anything else. The Wii I think will have a couple great years than slow down sales wise due to increased competition, not due to being a fad. The DS will sell great the rest of it's lifespan and then some. You can't say what will happen to one will to the other just because they attract a similar audiance.

ckmlb said:
I prefer if the majority of Wii games didn't just add motion because they are on the Wii. So unless the game is built around motion controls then they shouldn't force it in. That's why I like that SSBB doesn't force motion controls and I'm assuming Galaxy will only use as much motion as TP did or around that much and the rest of the controls will be traditional...

I agree with ckmlb.  I think too many developers are using unecessary motion control.  There are some games that are centered around motion control, and just would not be the same without it.  But most games don't need all the motion control.  They need to approach the motion control as a great addition to the whole control scheme rather than making a bunch of actions unnecessarily controled by motion just because it's on the Wii.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:
ckmlb said:

I agree with ckmlb. I think too many developers are using unecessary motion control. There are some games that are centered around motion control, and just would not be the same without it. But most games don't need all the motion control. They need to approach the motion control as a great addition to the whole control scheme rather than making a bunch of actions unnecessarily controled by motion just because it's on the Wii.

Well, as much as I enjoyed the motion controls on TP, I agree.  They certainly don't HAVE to be in every game made for the Wii.  Super Paper Mario had very simple controls, but was still very fun.

Your premise is wrong. DS and Wii aren't the same things, as Christopher_G2 has already noted. I personally see the DS as a gaming unit striving to become a PDA, especially in Japan where they have all sorts of non-gaming software for adults. I guess that's the winning formula because the other way around - PDA's striving to be gaming units - was a flop (e.g., Tapwave).

hmmm....people make too many comparisons between PS2 and PS3....and between Wii and DS....