By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs to change their game plan.

I wrote this general idea down in another thread, but thought it was distinct enough to warrant its own thread and its own discussion.

Sony needs to change their game plan.

Sony was really the first company to use their wallets to profound advantage in the console wars: they sold their consoles at a substantial initial loss; they bought up development houses; they paid third party developers for exclusives titles. Sony used many different creative and effective methods to turn their cash into marketshare. It's worked wonders for them, no question.

The problem isn't that the strategy is ineffective -- it's that Microsoft can play the same game, only better. Their pockets are much deeper, and it shows. Nintendo has differentiated themselves by making a very distinct system with a unique strategy: in contrast, both Microsoft and Sony seem to be playing the game called "burn as much money as possible to earn market share," and Sony simply cannot win that battle long term.

Please note that "long term" can mean several generational spans, and not just 3-4 years. Already, Microsoft is eating away at Sony's 3rd party monopoly, and with the recent news about GTA IV content exclusivity, one could even argue they've already taken the lead. Any comments? Criticisms?  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I guess it´s the way it is...money wise,Sony can´t lose as much as MS in the long term...just look at the losses MS has been taking since the original Xbox (about 7 billion dollars) and yet it´s still here,with plans for another console a few years from now....on the other hand,because MS has the potential to play "the game",as you call it,better,Sony´s been heavily investing in 1st and 2nd party development...that´s one thing I think goes unnoticed,since people are used to remembering Nintendo when it comes to 1st party titles,but Sony´s already got a big muscle in 1st and 2nd party area...Insomniac,Naughty Dog,Sucker Punch,Guerrila,Team Ico,Gran Turismo and God Of War franchises,etc....now,they are not as popular as the known Mario/Zelda/Metroid trio,but still shows Sony´s getting the potential to be a very strong 1st and 2nd party player as well.

Yeah Sony needs to change there game plan. they cant afford to buy exclusive like with the PS2. I wish they did but even though i have a PS3 [ i really enjoy it) it feels like Sony entering the turable 3s like Nintndo with the N64 being cocky like Sony is with PS3. Im not starting a flame. i own da systems but Sony could do less talking and more action

just like we know better, then guys from sony, yeah, sure. :)
they have their plan.
they have 2 successful consoles.
they know how to do the buisness. =)
till MGS4 and FFXIII will be exclusive, till that time, ps3 will get 3rd party exclusive games. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Well I think they will learn their lesson if their $600 launch price doesn't work out.  Seeing as how they lost a bunch of money on each system they will have to catch up a lot.  I wish, if they really did buy exclusives, that they would continue to do so because it seems that would be cheaper than losing to Microsoft in America, potentially.  I wonder how much it cost M$ for GTA4 on the same day as the PS3...I think if GTA was still exclusive the PS3 would be a lock for #1 this generation (yes, I think the Wii will fade and the PS3 will last longer, but we'll see).

Even then, though, I'm not sure how much money they'll make.  I agree with you that Sony will rethink their strategy for the following generations.  As a gamer I love their current hardware decisions but if they dominated 2 generations like no company ever has and still only made a few billion, I do worry.

Around the Network

It's game over really. Sony need to do what Nintendo did last gen to put more money on first/second party games. And be happy getting in last place without losing to much money. I know that Sony is losing money now, but if they pay like 50million for each game they are digging their grave. Its all about money really its not worth to be first if you are going to lose all that money.

Bodhesatva said:
Sony was really the first company to use their wallets to profound advantage in the console wars: they sold their consoles at a substantial initial loss; they bought up development houses; they paid third party developers for exclusives titles. Sony used many different creative and effective methods to turn their cash into marketshare. It's worked wonders for them, no question.

The problem isn't that the strategy is ineffective -- it's that Microsoft can play the same game, only better.

I disagree, Bodhesatva. The problem isn't that Microsoft can play this game better, the problem is that this is a losing strategy, period. Let me explain.

Pursuing market share at the expense of profit can allow a company to win one particular generation, without a doubt. The best example of this is of course Sony's runaway victory with the PS2 during the last (6th) generation of consoles. Now in some markets, you can use a market share strategy to establish a virtual monopoly, from which your position is so strong as to be unremovable. Microsoft's Windows operating system is a good example; even though we all know that the competitiors are much better, 90% of us are still using some kind of Windows OS because that's what most software requires. Microsoft pulled those shady market share tactics back in the 80s, and is still reaping the benefit today.

The problem for the console industry is that new systems are released about once every 5 years. And no matter how deeply entrenched one console may have been in the previous generation, it's a whole new ballgame every 5 years when the system wars start all over again. (The best examples being the 95% marketshare enjoyed by the NES, which was essentially halved by the Genesis/Megadrive, as well as the ongoing collapse of the PS2's dominance in the current era.) In the console industry, no matter how great your victory in one generation, you cannot carry that victory over into the next one. And for this reason, pursuing market share at the expense of profit is a losing venture, long-term.

Let's use some examples, so that you can see I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air. During the 5th generation, Sony's Playstation captured a clear victory in the console wars, ending up with about 2/3 of the market. Yet Nintendo actually made more profit from the N64 than Sony did from the PS1 - how was this possible? Because Sony aggressively cut the price of the PS1 again and again as soon as it turned a profit; Sony "won" the console war and effectively undercut Nintendo, but they didn't make a lot of money from that generation. In the 6th generation, Sony won a gigantic success (in market share terms) by being even MORE aggressive with the pricing of the PS2. It was sold at a loss initially, and throughout most of its shelf life as well. The $100 price cut (from $300 to $200) right when the Gamecube and XBox were released effectively disembowled the competition before they could get off the ground. But by selling the system at a loss over and over again, Sony ensured that they would never make all that much of a profit on the PS2. Over its total lifespan (say, 2001-06), SCE only turned profits of about $2 billion. That's a ton of money, no doubt about it, but you'd still expect more given the 125+ million PS2s sold. In summary: when companies follow a market share strategy with consoles, then can "win" a high percentage of consoles sold, but they will always be limited in their profits.

Now for the downside: what happens when you sell your console at a loss and still don't manage to win that generation? Umm... you lose a LOT of money. Microsoft's XBox is the best example; they freely admitted they were not even trying to make a profit on the original XBox, just capture market share. Well, Microsoft succeeded: the XBox sold over 20 million consoles and grabbed about 15% of the market - but had to lose $4 billion to do it. Four billion dollars! Can you even imagine that big of a loss? This is a point well worth repeating: Microsoft's XBox division has NEVER turned a profit in any fiscal quarter, EVER. They're currently over $5 billion in the red. The 360's going to start turning a profit sometime this year, but it will never overtake those losses in its lifetime. It won't even come close. Microsoft will need to have at least 2-3 more successful consoles to make up those losses, and if one of those turns out to be a "loser", they'll be even FURTHER in the red. Similarly, Sony had two consoles that were runaway successes, but with just one stinker (PS3), SCE has already lost ALL of the money they made during the PS2 halcyon days. And to make the PS3 successful, they're going to have to cut the price soon, which means losing even more money... By the end of this generation, SCE may be almost as far into the red as Microsoft's XBox division.

So do you see why the market share strategy is such a bad deal long-term? It can work very well in the short run, but all it takes is one failure to wipe out all the profits of multiple successful consoles. The console industry is a very high-risk one; virtually every company that has put their hat into the ring has ended up losing money in the long run. Even industry huge names like Atari, Sega, and Microsoft have all been long-term losers from a profit standpoint, despite great success in the short term (Sony may also be in this category soon). In fact, from a financial standpoint, Nintendo is the only company that has ever turned a long-term profit from making consoles. Is it a coincidence that they've been the only one NOT to pursue this market share strategy in recent years? I personally say no. Their policy of selling all consoles at a profit has allowed them to stay in business even through generations where they basically failed in their objectives (Gamecube comes to mind).

I've been convinced for years that the "sell at a loss now, make it back later with games" strategy is a long-term loser; Sony was always the sterling example to the contrary, but whoops! Not anymore. Fans who post on message boards only look at the market share aspect of things, so the tactics of a Sony or Microsoft LOOK great when the Gamecube is getting pasted in the market. But profit is what ultimately matters, and since no company can win every generation, the market share strategy is doomed to failure when viewed in the long-term perspective.

Thoughts?

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

CrazzyMan said:
they have their plan.
till MGS4 and FFXIII will be exclusive, till that time, ps3 will get 3rd party exclusive games. =)

Sony also had the Walkman brand, which was once of the most powerful in the history of consumer electronics. Sony's 'plan' lost them the one of the most lucrative businesses in the past decade. 

FishyJoe said:
CrazzyMan said:
they have their plan.

Sony also had the Walkman brand, which was once of the most powerful in the history of consumer electronics. Sony's 'plan' lost them the one of the most lucrative businesses in the past decade.

Kind of Ironic since they actually lost the "walkman war" by not expanding the product, like they did with the PS3 to the PS2, so i guess its lose lose to all of the business gurus on VGChartz forum who like to think they know more about running a successful business by tracking sales numbers for 8 months.

steverhcp02 said:
FishyJoe said:
CrazzyMan said:
they have their plan.

Kind of Ironic since they actually lost the "walkman war" by not expanding the product, like they did with the PS3 to the PS2, so i guess its lose lose to all of the business gurus on VGChartz forum who like to think they know more about running a successful business by tracking sales numbers for 8 months.

No, they lost the portable music business because they failed to appeal to a mass audience. Their products were not designed to appeal to the average person.