By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hudson: PS3 development too expensive

Whoa, a smaller yet business-savvy developer is minimizing potential losses by avoiding developing for a system with an unsatisfactory cost-to-profit margin?

Turns out some of these guys do have brains.

Around the Network

Oh well, lets just hope they save enough money and release a new Bloody Roar game soon. Its probably my favorite fighter series besides Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Kasz216 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Kasz216 said:
akuma587 said:
Hudson has been pretty shit since the end of the N64 generation (Bomberman 64 was AMAZING though), so whatever. Just develop for the PSN if you think developing a full game for the PS3 is too expensive.

All the GC Mario Parties were good.

Robopon was pretty good.

Aside from that they just haven't done much since N64 era... except bomberman games.

Yes, they were so fantastic...

No, actually, there were average at best.

On Topic:

Looking at their games in recent years, this does not surprise me in the slightest. A lot of those are for the Virtual Console of course, but that doesn't stop their strategy from being releasing cheap, average games. I'd be amazed if they were making any money at all.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Mario Party 4 GC Nintendo 49 7.4 74.108%
2. Mario Party 6 GC Nintendo 37 7.7 73.051%
3. Mario Party 5 GC Nintendo 43 7.6 70.823%
4. Mario Party 7 GC Nintendo 29 7.5 64.862%

Eh come on.  They were a lot of fun.  The only reason they get such low reviews is because so very little changes year to year...

That and there really aren't any "Dedicated Mini-game" reviewers like there are for every other genre because it's not the kind of game that plays well to the reveiwer demographic.

Well then, perhaps they shouldn't have been released year after year if Hudson/Nintendo couldn't find a way to implement even basic changes to the gameplay. Hell, this is the same issue that constantly applies to Fifa or Madden or any other sports series released yearly.

And blaming it on the reviewers is such a lame excuse. Is it possible that the sort of developers who make minigame titles aren't trying to make the game very good? Hell, look at the WarioWare titles. Zany, random, and funny. Except for the one on the Gamecube, the games in the series have received high scores from many different reviewers (Smooth Moves even got a 9.1 from Gamespot).

Reviewers aren't the problem at all. The majority of minigame titles either have poor controls, no depth, or only a couple good minigames. Hell, the reviews give good explanations for most of these poor ratings. If the developer made a good effort, I'm sure they got good scores for it.

Yes. Lets look at the Warior Ware games.

Warior Ware Smooth Moves: 82% average ranking
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$ 76.6%
WarioWare: Touched! 81%.

The scores went downhill after the Gameboy Advance games...

The touted as the best minigame collection out there... and yet not one has ever hit a 90.

The Mario Party games did change a decent amount between games, like most if not all the minigames. However the regular reviewer just sees it as "It's still just a collection of minigames."

It's not really the reviwiers fault that Mario Party doesn't have some minigames freak reveiwing it... like how most JRPGs have the resident JRPG freak. That's really more the editors fault.

They also made a lot of different changes to how the game works.  A LOT more different then anything a Sports series had done to change things up year to year.

Does this mean they won't be porting Bomberman:Zero to the PS3?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Yes. Lets look at the Warior Ware games.

Warior Ware Smooth Moves: 82% average ranking
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$ 76.6%
WarioWare: Touched! 81%.

The scores went downhill after the Gameboy Advance games...

The touted as the best minigame collection out there... and yet not one has ever hit a 90.

The Mario Party games did change a decent amount between games, like most if not all the minigames.  However the regular reviewer just sees it as "It's still just a collection of minigames."

Minigame collections (and "casual" games in general) tend to receive poorer reviews (in general) for the same reason; because consumers do not seem to care about certain 'features' developers tend to leave those out or do not focus on them, and these are the same features that reviewers tend to focus on because it is easier to claim objectivity when dealing with them.

As an example, many reviewers look for advanced graphical techniques as a way of "objectively" determining the quality of the visuals in a game; at the same time, most consumers look for games that look polished not necessarily games that use the most advanced graphical techniques. What this means is a game like MySims (seen below) that has an entirely appropriate and polished graphical style ends up being docked marks because of its appearance:

That's pretty understandable, hope they do take advantage of PSN.

Oh, and Mario Party was ruined once it hit the Gamecube.

I would love to see a Far East of Eden for Wii that would come stateside :)

Hudson bashing in 3..2..

Whoops, looks like the Sony fanboys spazzed out from the first post.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

First time a Sony console wont have the biggest game libary (Believe it), like previous two generations. Thats a winning concept, trust me. But i dont care so much for Hudson's games.