By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thoughts on the XMB.

I was wondering what the general consensus on the effectiveness of the XMB was. In my opinion, I don't really see how they could have done it better, the XMB is simple and does not involve endless clicking through catergories to get to the option you want. The layout is clear and concise.

Thoughts on it?

MGS4!

Around the Network

A search function for my music. It is so tedious to scroll through my music to find a specific track, even if it is sorted by artists.
Search function!
But I'm pretty sure that's the only thing I can complain about.

The xmb rocks.

I like the idea of a search function for music. In fact, we should suggest it on the Playstation blog.

Yes

Can we access it in game?
I believe I have update 2.36.

ion-storm said:

The xmb rocks.

I like the idea of a search function for music. In fact, we should suggest it on the Playstation blog.

How do you do that? Just email them?

Around the Network

I think the XMB is pretty good. However it does have a few small problems.

1) We need a search feature -- one that's easy to use.
2) The icons can take too long to load -- especially when I'm searching for a certain song or video and I'm scrolling though 100's of files which results in the icons never managing to load.
3) It feels like its starting to grow to big... i mean we have - User,Setting,Photo,Music,Video,Network,Playstation Network, friends list/final tab.
Thats 8 different icons to scroll over horizontally ... and then scrolling down Network, Settings and Game all have quite a few fixed icons..

I just feel that so many icons is scary to non-gamers -- it makes games seem overly complex...

It gets the job done, but it seems a little complicated, and robotic, to me.

The first day, I looked at pictures from my SD card using the PS3. A couple of days later, it took forever to figure out how to do it again!!

The XMB is great, but it could use some stream lining.

XMB the most beautiful looking GUI ever but far form perfect , which is a good thing I guess.

Yea the XMB is nice, very beutiful in HD.

mM
Rainbird said:
ion-storm said:

The xmb rocks.

How do you do that? Just email them?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/contact.php

Best way is probably just to get a lot of people leaving comments about it on every single update they do on the blog. That's what everyone has done so far when requesting features :)

Or start a few topics about it on the Playstation forums.

Yes