By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 64% of ppl give up on Wii Fit

Since Wii Fit catered more to the casual crowd, it's kind of interesting to see how fast people lose interest in playing this "game". Feels like the same kind of response people had to Wii Sports or other various mini-game compilations when it is mostly bought by casuals.

http://kotaku.com/5022132/64-percent-of-those-polled-gave-up-wii-fit

"Wii Fit has done big business in Japan — and pretty much everywhere, for that matter. The peripheral and game went on sale late last year in The Land of the Rising Sun, and Japanese website IT Media poses the question: Do Wii Fit owners actually still play Wii Fit everyday? Short answer: Nope. According to the thousand IT Media readers polled (for whatever that's worth), the majority of them do not play their copies of Wii Fit (ditto). Here's the breakdown:

Do you use Wii Fit faithfully everyday?
• 22 percent — I record my progress faithfully everyday
• 6 percent — Maybe once every two or three days
• 6 percent — Once a week
• 64 percent — Stopped using after purchase

Like any exercise program, most people quit early on. Guess it's good that even 22 percent are sticking with it, but still. Any Wii Fit owners out there? Do you use Wii Fit faithfully everyday? "

Around the Network

i blame wii fit fkusumot!

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Hmmmmm... seems to prove my point of Wii Fit being a fad. ;)

Although it is a shame that more aren't faithfully using it, or maybe moving onto a gym to keep in good health.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Seems about right. Most people that try going to the gym usually quit as well. People are just lazy. See everyone wants to be fit and have a great body. Most don't really want to work for it.

jjseth said:

Although it is a shame that more aren't faithfully using it, or maybe moving onto a gym to keep in good health.

If a 5 million seller game is your definition of "Fad" then i'd love to see your defnition of success.

Around the Network

The sample size is far too small to have any real significance, but I don't doubt that people quit working out after a few days. While this data holds no significance, it's highly true that the actual result isn't too far off from this.

Are people surprised?

It's no different then people buying an exercise machine or a gym membership, they use it for a bit but then the majority of them just stop.

From my experience after 1 month to 6 weeks 75% of people who joined a gym will have given up ... by the 3 month milestone it is close to 87.5% and most people who are still working out regularly will continue to work out regularly.

Now, my question with this would be "What percentage of people who bought Wii Fit intended it to be (primarily) a weight loss device, and what percentage of those users are still using it on a regular basis?"

I currently don't own Wii Fit but have considered buying it for the games that will eventually be released; if I get it and don't use it on a daily basis I wouldn't call that a failure for Wii Fit.

Million said:

Well, if that were a scientific survey, and lets say that only 22% of those 5 million who bought it are still using it faithfully, that's about 1 million who are still using it. 

Do you have Wii Fit and are you still using it?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:

Most forms of exercise are fads unless you incorporate it into your lifestyle. And by the way most people are just quitters.