By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "non game" argument

Blue3 said:
and these are video games not just games.

"Formally, a computer game is a game composed of a computer-controlled virtual universe that players may interact with in order to achieve a goal (or set of goals). A video game is a computer game where a video display is the primary feedback device. "

so its more of a debate what a video game really is.

"The "video" in "video game" traditionally refers to a raster display device.  However, with the popular use of the term "video game", it now implies any type of display device. "

Well there you go.  From the wiki your definition came from.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
ehh no. Just like curling is NOT a Sport!!! and judo is not fighting!

1) An amusement or pastime.

by that defenition, the movies released on PSP can be called games ?

also PS3s home can be called a game then ?

curling is certainly a sport.  more controversial are chess, bridge, go, etc.  until that ruling from the olympics committee a few years ago, mind games had strong lobbying to be considered an olympic event.

games are, from merriam webster:  "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

which is pretty broad.  basically, all non-work activities.  dating, cooking, going out, etc. 

one's pain might be one's gain.  i enjoy doing math and programming for fun.  for me it's a game.  for 99% of the population those would certainly be homework, if they even do those for homework.  one's work could be a game, but that wouldn't be a diversion from your daily routine.

i find playing Zelda: TP absolutely painful.  it's long, it's windy, there's so much repetitive actions to me it's not anyway close to being a game.  but hey, it's one of the best games around, i know that and fully acknowledge that.  you have no idea how grateful i am to see the age of brain ages, i've been waiting 15 years for this golden age.

the Wii is an epidemic.

twesterm said:
Also, video game shouldn't and is not one of those hard words to define like fun. Video game is a fairly straightforward idea and an easy one to grasp. Why so many people think things like Brain Age and the likes are non-games just because it isn't fun to them it beyond me, but then again, I generally put those people on the same level as bricks or perhaps algae on intelligence level. It's my firm belief that merely being in the presence of those people can actually drain your intelligence.

some is is bitter.

Its my belief being around people that think brainage is a game would put me to sleep form boredom.

There we go, I like that Merriam-Webster definition even better.

1) "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

And I love Blue3's defense. "Brain Age is no more a game than Curling is a sport!" When there is absolutely no question that Curling is, in fact, a sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

Not only is it defined as a sport at the very top of the page, but one should note that it is part of the Olympics.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Blue3 said:
twesterm said:
Also, video game shouldn't and is not one of those hard words to define like fun. Video game is a fairly straightforward idea and an easy one to grasp. Why so many people think things like Brain Age and the likes are non-games just because it isn't fun to them it beyond me, but then again, I generally put those people on the same level as bricks or perhaps algae on intelligence level. It's my firm belief that merely being in the presence of those people can actually drain your intelligence.

some is is bitter.

Its my belief being around people that think brainage is a game would put me to sleep form boredom.

lol !!!

that's highly likely.  you won't enjoy conversations with me and my friends, where they typically go from "hi" to "here's this brainteaser i heard" in 2 seconds.  99.99% of the population i'll end up doing "small talk", which is extremely boring and only do so out of social and networking reasons.

hey, people have different experiences.  it's impossible for somebody to be buddy-buddy with everybody. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

That's why when you say 'non-game' because it is a game by the narrow definition of it, but isn't a game like other video games are. Quotations do the work.

It seems the literal definition of brain age would be mini-game collection which is not that much better in my view but I'll use that term if you are so offended by 'non-game'.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I can't stand Brain Age because I consider it Nintendo duping the public by claiming it helps maintain mental alertness even though there's no known study or any type of proof to support that claim.  Nintendo itself refuses to come clean about it and provide any scientific evidence at all.

Their are many real sports that should be in the olympics but arent. Its only a mater of time before throwing a hoof on to a stick will be in the olympics.

i guess "games" mean a different thing to different people.

Legend11 said:
I can't stand Brain Age because I consider it Nintendo duping the public by claiming it helps maintain mental alertness even though there's no known study or any type of proof to support that claim. Nintendo itself refuses to come clean about it and provide any scientific evidence at all.

i agree--no studies. but hey, it's only a game. it'll be sad if you rely on games to keep you mentally sharp.

EDIT:  games are supposed to "help" you a bit in that department.  hopefully not 100% dependent is my point.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Legend11 said:
I can't stand Brain Age because I consider it Nintendo duping the public by claiming it helps maintain mental alertness even though there's no known study or any type of proof to support that claim. Nintendo itself refuses to come clean about it and provide any scientific evidence at all.

Actually nintendo quite clearly state on the game (I own a copy) that your "brain age" is not a measure of anything at all except your aptitude at the game.

Of course, no known study links brain age to mental alertness except whatever dtuff Dr. Kawashima has done (I have no idea about this field). This doesn't mean it doesn't help mental alertness. The brain is an incredibly complex animal and no one really knows how it works. The link between cellphones and cancer are much more tenuous but people believe that one without thinking. The truth is I "feel" more alert when I play brain age regularly and hey, that's good enough for me. Science, schmience.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!