By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Please change motorstorm and rfom sales, and ps3 sales

http://www.mcvuk.com/opinion/32/The-PS3-powers-on

And I think the anlysts out there will realise it’s faster than our brothers and sisters in the competitive world as well.

In terms of breakdown by Euro territories, the UK did very well. They are probably up to 25 per cent of business, so have made a great star. And we’re particularly pleased with Iberia and France. They are neck and neck.

Also this time we launched into our distributor territories, such as the Middle East and Eastern Europe. And that’s give us quite a boost. Russia too. And we’ve found it’s given us quite a boost in those markets, not only on hardware but software as well. The Middle East and Russia are quite a lucrative markets, with a lot of wealthy people there.

We’ve launched into about 100 territories. If include places like San Marino and the Vatican, we’ve got about 107 territories on board in total – that means we’re about 95 per cent of the way there. And we’ve done that in ten weeks.

In terms of software, we’ve sold in about two million pieces of first party software. And the big ones are Resistance: Fall of Man at about 600,000 (180,000 off here)units and Motorstorm at just over the 500,000 mark. We’re obviously very happy that thse two new IPs have done so well.

I can confirm that it’s highly unlikely that the 20Gb version will be launch in PAL territories. The majority of retailers are happy that we launched with just the one unit. It has made things simple for them.

As for the 80Gb console, there are markets like Korea where there’s very high broadband penetration and the people there are used to downloading content, so they require a certain size hard drive. But at the moment we don’t see a requirement for launching this version in Europe. Certainly not in the foreseeable future.

In terms of registered PlayStation Network users, we’re at around the 460,000 mark, which we’re very happy about. We have about about 100 pieces of content online in PAL territores. And we’ve achieved that in 10 weeks.

I don’t feel competing with Xbox Live; we feel we’re in a different stadium. And with the introduction of Home at Christmas, we’re going in a completely different direction with something very entertaining.

We don’t have our eyes on the competition in any way.

Around the Network

ioi will adjust numbers where he feels it is needed. Thank you for your concern.

Dolla Dolla said:
ioi will adjust numbers where he feels it is needed. Thank you for your concern.

Well the rfom number is off 180,000. Which is concerning.

Someone was doubting that motorstorm had 50% attach rate in Europe.

Not only do you have the facts wrong, but it's just stupid to change the stats every time a company spokesperson issues a press release.  

It's already been documented that the Resistance and Motorstorm sales reported were into the channel. For those who don't understand industry speak, that means sold to retailers not consumers.

Here is the exact quote:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14251

Reeves also claimed around two million units of first party software have been sold “into the channel”, with Resistance: Fall of Man selling around 600,000 units in Europe and MotorStorm just over 500,000. Reeves also notes that around 460,000 users have registered to the PlayStation Network in European territories.

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:
Someone was doubting that motorstorm had 50% attach rate in Europe.
Pwnd Bitch

as a 360 and a ps3 guy ..this concerns me that so many people want the numbers to change so bad... i have been apart of this site for 7 months now.. and i trust this site... please stop making new threads on this. its annoying...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Bona - it's very simple:

Because game X or system Y isn't selling, then when there is any sort of shred of information that states that SHIPPED numbers are slightly higher, that they must be changed. God forbid that ioi tries to count SOLD numbers, and the fact is that Motorstorm hasn't even hit 700k yet, if that.

Everyone is just mad that after the Euro launch, and everything, that the PS3 has only sold 3.5m-ish h/w units, and has only 1 game to fully crack the 1m mark in R:FoM. They're mad because the Wii already has about 5 million sellers, and the 360 had around 4 million sellers at the same point in time.

Don't worry about it. This time next year, I am sure that motorstorm will of hit the 1m mark, and we'll see atleast 2 more million sellers that ioi has added :)

Fair? I think so.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ioi said:
Groan.

From now on, any more "You much change figure x because of this dodgy piece of info I have here" will result in a ban.

Sony coming out and making an official press release on some sales figures is a 'dodgy peice of information'?

mrstickball said:
Bona - it's very simple:

Because game X or system Y isn't selling, then when there is any sort of shred of information that states that SHIPPED numbers are slightly higher, that they must be changed. God forbid that ioi tries to count SOLD numbers, and the fact is that Motorstorm hasn't even hit 700k yet, if that.

Everyone is just mad that after the Euro launch, and everything, that the PS3 has only sold 3.5m-ish h/w units, and has only 1 game to fully crack the 1m mark in R:FoM. They're mad because the Wii already has about 5 million sellers, and the 360 had around 4 million sellers at the same point in time.

Don't worry about it. This time next year, I am sure that motorstorm will of hit the 1m mark, and we'll see atleast 2 more million sellers that ioi has added :)

Fair? I think so.

No not really. The software numbers on the world software page are shipped numbers, not sold. If somebody has some proof that sony are lieing about their shipped numbers then fine, but if they dont then why not change them. ioi does his best and when better information comes along then most people expect it to be changed. In the past month their have been press releases and npd figures that show on this website the ps3's euro hardware numbers, american hardware numbers and euro software numbers are being undertracked while at the same time xbox360 numbers are being over tracked. Nobody with a sane brain is saying vgcharts is being biased but it has got some things wrong and people round here are getting far to defensive over it.