By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dark Sector Devs Helping With Bioshock Port (PS3)

Dark Sector Devs Helping With Bioshock PS3

Digital Extremes, the team behind such mediocre titles as Dark Sector, Pariah and Extreme Pinball, have signed on to help optimize Bioshock for the Playstation 3. To be fair, DE did also produce the fair to middling Unreal Tournament 2003, and they do have a way with death frisbees.

The game is being developed by 2K Marin, 2K Boston and 2K Australia, so it's unclear how much impact the inclusion of a fourth cook in the kitchen will actually have on the game.

"When 2K approached us to assist with development on Bioshock for the PLAYSTATION 3 system, it was a no-brainer," said James Schmalz, CEO and founder of Digital Extremes. "You really can't ask for a more exciting, technically impressive world to work in than Rapture, and the incredible knowledge and talent between the 2K studios and our team at Digital Extremes is unprecedented. The collaboration on this project will make the PLAYSTATION 3 system sing with Big Daddy goodness and Little Sister 'thank you's'."

http://kotaku.com/5021876/dark-sector-devs-helping-with-bioshock-ps3

This seems to indicate further signs of development difficulty on the PS3. Can "too many cooks spoil the broth"?

Here's to hoping to port works out well.

Around the Network

BioShock on the PS3 should be the best version yet of the game.

i don't think anybody praised dark sector for anything.? was the game better on PS3 than on XBOX360.? or they were the cheapest to get to port the game to PS3.?

sounds like they are just there to help it actually work.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

As long as they are only optimizing the game, and not actually designing it, then I don't mind.

Around the Network

Well the developer did promise better visuals, and performence on the PS3.

mM
Noobie said:
i don't think anybody praised dark sector for anything.? was the game better on PS3 than on XBOX360.? or they were the cheapest to get to port the game to PS3.?

It scored a 72 on both consoles on metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termType=all&ts=dark+sector&ty=3

It was criticized quite heavily for being very unoriginal and really bringing nothing new to the genre.

It's seems that Digital Extremes are, at the very least, competent PS3 devs. As both versions of Dark Sector were said to have looked/run pretty much the same.

First sentence of that article makes me want to slap those bitches at Kotaku.  To lead with that, to think of that point as being salient, is intentional FUD.

Whatev, this is a 4th studio helping out.  Whatev.  Graphics will be updated for the PS3 version, as 2K have said.  Hopefully it'll be an Oblivion-like increase of the PS3 version over the 360 version.