By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo floods the market with Wii?

carlos710 said:
I guess this is why the Wii is destroying so easily the PS3 every console in europe. Thanks Nintendo, now we only need more Wii Fits =P

Why did you feel the need to single out the PS3?  It's also destroying the 360 and PSP.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
I come here with positive news, news from just around the corner from where I live. Why can't people be more positive?

If you have something interesting to share, please do. I won't try to put anyone down.

Maybe its a translation problem but since when is "Flooding" a market positive??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

That's the most Wiis I've seen in one store.

Wii or 80GB MGS4 PS3 bundle will flood NA market, when it will be freely available on amazon.com

Till now, it`s just a some shipment, but not mass flood. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

@Crazzy, but Sony is creating artificial demand for the 80GB PS3 in America, if they just ship 100k/month its obvious they will sell out, unlike Nintendo which ships as many Wii's as they can and they still sell out.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
@Crazzy, but Sony is creating artificial demand for the 80GB PS3 in America, if they just ship 100k/month its obvious they will sell out, unlike Nintendo which ships as many Wii's as they can and they still sell out.

Lulz.

I don't know whether to focus on your "artificial demand" quote, or the fact that you believe that Sony doesn't want to sell as many units as it can.  Sony is not in Nintendo's postition, and needs all the sales they can get, why would they create artificial demand for a bundle when selling the bundle helps net them more software sales.  They're not making a profit every quarter like Nintendo is, so they're in no position to create "artificial demand".  There goes that conspiracy theory.

ROFL you showed them there with those nice pictures

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

MikeB said:

[with my eyes pointed towards especially Sqrl I say]

I hope people around here will someday grow up. I said I didn't know exactly how many there were, I estimated about 300. I get attacked, I post some proof showing the bulk of Wiis in stock there and no apology whatsoever.

Just hanging on straws to keep doubt over what I said might actually be true, just to not have to admit you might have behaved childishly.

I'm not sure what you're smoking, if you read what I wrote I quite clearly stated multiple times that I had not doubt there were a lot of consoles but that the number 300 wasn't believable and that you exaggerated the number a bit.  You posted pics proving me right, and I even gave you credit that their were more than I thought there would be.

In fact lets examine this story shall we?

MikeB said:
Sqrl said:
Wiis in stock in large quantity I believe, but I don't for a second buy that there are 300 of them. During X-mas some of the largest retail outlets in the US didn't get 300 units. Sounds like they had a lot of units and you exaggerated the amount a bit?

A bit exaggerated? I don't think so.

But the PS3s were easier to count.

Hmm it looks like Sqrl said a large quantity he could believe but 300 wasn't believable....and oh whats this?  MikeB decided to reinforce his statement by reaffirming that there were 300.

The picture I posted had nothing to do with attacking you and everything to do with highlighting how absurd it was for a store to get 300 Wiis.  It would make no sense for a single location to get 300 Wiis in the summer when major locations during the holidays got substantially less than that for their peak shipments.  Thats true whether they had 10 Wiis at this store or 600, which is exactly what I said when I posted it.

If you're going to lash out at someone at least make sure you know wth your talking about, ok?

To Each Man, Responsibility

@DMJ: Then why don't they ship more units? They don't have production issues.

Unless they are selling each bundle at a huge loss, so that would explain not wanting to sell many.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Can we at least agree that there are about $50K USD on the floor and nobody picking them up?