By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - M$ price drop in America will Sony have to respond?

Gazz said:

This news just in: With the 360 being smacked around the head with better sales of the Wii and PS3 (in spite a hefty price drop in Europe of the 360), fanboys focus all their efforts on the north American market where sales of their favorite consoles were an amazingly insignificant 10.000 units higher. Gazz, an all round gamer with pc and all consoles, except the 360 that failed on him twice reports....If you believe a lot of the value arguments for the PS3 then you'd say that the PS3 is the one being smacked in the head. Blu Ray + Free online = omg value. So why isn't it reflected in the sales? Theres ONLY a $50 price difference, but the value arguments make it seem that the Xbox360 should have hardly any sales at all. Explain THAT then. Not only is the PS3 not beating the Xbox360 with a "greater value proposition" its losing currently in that market.

All hope of fanboys is now focused on a short boost of sales when the 360 may or may not drop 50 dollars in price. A brilliant marketing plan, lets make the console that suffers from the image of being a cheap malfunctioning piece of hardware, and make that image even cheaper. Will Sony respond because they must get owned? No, because they did not in Europe and neither did Nintendo. The only thing the price drop did for the 360 in my area (I live in the Netherlands, Europe) is persuade people with little money to get the 360 and flash it to play backups. Its funny I hear "the Xbox360 is just a shooter console" And yet the PS3 is the one coming out with the big shooter games this year. Isn't it bad marketing to be a year behind the Xbox360 going for a market already tapped? Sony is the one whos behind the market here, the time for big FPS games was last year. The Xbox360 is hitting the FPS market and the 360 is broadening its base by targeting the smaller but still valuable RPG market. Also a price cut in the U.S will have a much greater effect due to the 2.5 - 1 userbase advantage. Its a much stronger console there given the previously mentioned value proposition so a pricecut will have a disproportionately greater effect.

Btw, great to see Starcraft trying to distort every discussion. I always figure he must be playing those marvelous games of his on his beloved 360, but with the amount of time he spends posting here and the 360 not having a browser we all know heś on his pc way more then on his 360. Logically of course since most 360 "exclusives" are on it, and it doesn't overheat as fast. Online is also free as it should be. Australia is one of the hottest countries in the world with temperatures reaching over 40 degrees celsius. So if the Australians are buying more Xbox360s its probably because its NOT overheating. It would be more obvious than in countries like the U.S where the temperature doesn't get as hot for as long on average.

So since this thread is talking about the U.S why do you bring Europe into it when theres a completely different market dynamic.

Tease.

Around the Network

Sony is more or less dead worldwide anyway. And no they will not respond, they cannot afford too. They already stated PS3 will not get a price cut in fiscal 2008 (which runs until March 31 2009).

sharky said:

Sony is more or less dead worldwide anyway. And no they will not respond, they cannot afford too. They already stated PS3 will not get a price cut in fiscal 2008 (which runs until March 31 2009).

Not an Anti-PS3 troll. I guess you must be a X360 fanbot? Sound a bit too hostile to be a Wii fan.

BTW: Check the last 30 weeks consoles Sales PS3 has won every week over the X360. The X360 is dying and nobody wants. A price cut in Europe did nothing. PS3 outsells the X360 despite the PS3 being double the price of X360 in both Europe and Japan.

Isn't the price drop only for refurbs? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Oh and I'm pretty sure sales are so low because alot of ppl are waiting for the 80gbs again that ship July 5th. If you think that that's not a significant reason why sales are so low (MGS4 bundle, BC), tell that to the Japanese market, as soon as the BC PS3 was dropped, so was their weekly sales.

sharky said:

Yes because announcing that something that is relatively expensive is going to get a price cut wouldn't hurt sales at all.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Gazz said:

This news just in: With the 360 being smacked around the head with better sales of the Wii and PS3 (in spite a hefty price drop in Europe of the 360), fanboys focus all their efforts on the north American market where sales of their favorite consoles were an amazingly insignificant 10.000 units higher. Gazz, an all round gamer with pc and all consoles, except the 360 that failed on him twice reports....If you believe a lot of the value arguments for the PS3 then you'd say that the PS3 is the one being smacked in the head. Blu Ray + Free online = omg value. So why isn't it reflected in the sales? Theres ONLY a $50 price difference, but the value arguments make it seem that the Xbox360 should have hardly any sales at all. Explain THAT then. Not only is the PS3 not beating the Xbox360 with a "greater value proposition" its losing currently in that market.

All hope of fanboys is now focused on a short boost of sales when the 360 may or may not drop 50 dollars in price. A brilliant marketing plan, lets make the console that suffers from the image of being a cheap malfunctioning piece of hardware, and make that image even cheaper. Will Sony respond because they must get owned? No, because they did not in Europe and neither did Nintendo. The only thing the price drop did for the 360 in my area (I live in the Netherlands, Europe) is persuade people with little money to get the 360 and flash it to play backups. Its funny I hear "the Xbox360 is just a shooter console" And yet the PS3 is the one coming out with the big shooter games this year. Isn't it bad marketing to be a year behind the Xbox360 going for a market already tapped? Sony is the one whos behind the market here, the time for big FPS games was last year. The Xbox360 is hitting the FPS market and the 360 is broadening its base by targeting the smaller but still valuable RPG market. Also a price cut in the U.S will have a much greater effect due to the 2.5 - 1 userbase advantage. Its a much stronger console there given the previously mentioned value proposition so a pricecut will have a disproportionately greater effect.

Btw, great to see Starcraft trying to distort every discussion. I always figure he must be playing those marvelous games of his on his beloved 360, but with the amount of time he spends posting here and the 360 not having a browser we all know heś on his pc way more then on his 360. Logically of course since most 360 "exclusives" are on it, and it doesn't overheat as fast. Online is also free as it should be. Australia is one of the hottest countries in the world with temperatures reaching over 40 degrees celsius. So if the Australians are buying more Xbox360s its probably because its NOT overheating. It would be more obvious than in countries like the U.S where the temperature doesn't get as hot for as long on average.

So since this thread is talking about the U.S why do you bring Europe into it when theres a completely different market dynamic.

A: As far as I know, PS3 sales are on par or above that of the 360 in worlwide sales data. Worldwide sales of a console that is about twice as expensive as the basic 360 do say something about value for money. According to your logic, the 360 should outsell the PS3 atleast by 200% weekly. Good luck making that happen (in your dreams).

B: Its funny how I never said "the Xbox360 is just a shooter console" and yet you write a whole nonsense paragraph about it. Are you on drugs and paranoid? If not, please read and refer to what I actually said next time . A 2.5 vs 1 userbase advantage at this time is going to profit the hardware sales of the 360? Please amuse me and the rest of our readers by explaining how having a saturated market for the 360 will improve sales. After you are done with that, please be as spinning as you can be and explain to me how piracy and the rrod actually helped make MS turn a profit.

C: Thanks for explaining that. Hot temperatures for a long period never happen in the southern part of Europe, middle east, Florida and California. I bring Europe into the picture since it recently had a pricecut ofcourse. The dynamic of a price cut is less money for the same product. You pay less in Europe, you pay less in the states. See, no difference. Thanks for the funny attempt at a spin though.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Price drop is the most desperate measure. The last resort. It means only one thing. "Upcoming X360 exclusive games can not match PS3 exclusive games."

Price drop on X360 consoles will lose MS money. Make losses just to boost market share? lol It would make better business sense for MS just to sell at a GC rate and maximise  profitability along the way.

I am just going to play devils advocate here for a minute. What happens if MS drops the price and sales get little to no boost whatsoever? I know some MS fanboys like to THINK they have a better linup therest of the year, but c'mon? One of last gens biggest and most popular franchises was SOCOM, Gears is a new franchise to this gen. Most potential buysers for MS are people who are without a 360 or PS3, So don't ya think Socom will be a bigger draw. I know MS fanboys would like to make Gears Halo, but it is not. It is entirely possible thatthe 360 has hit it's saturation point and it's nowhere but down from here on. If this is the case than no price drop is going to save it.. honestly a price drop for MS could be a bigger gamble than it would be for sony, because if it doesn't work they are cooked.

Gazz said:
Squilliam said:
Gazz said:

A: As far as I know, PS3 sales are on par or above that of the 360 in worlwide sales data. Worldwide sales of a console that is about twice as expensive as the basic 360 do say something about value for money. According to your logic, the 360 should outsell the PS3 atleast by 200% weekly. Good luck making that happen (in your dreams). According to the claims of many people the PS3 SHOULD be outselling the Xbox360 handily, especially in the U.S market. I was just addressing the fact that it wasn't as a point to support my argument. Im not talking about a 20k difference per week, more like 40-70 would be expected regularly. I never claimed that the Xbox360 should outsell the PS3, I did however claim that the PS3 if people like Rock-on are to be believed should outsell the Xbox360 by a large margin. I was explaining why I thought not. You were talking about the relative sales numbers so its only fair for me to bring my own perspective.

B: Its funny how I never said "the Xbox360 is just a shooter console" and yet you write a whole nonsense paragraph about it. Are you on drugs and paranoid? If not, please read and refer to what I actually said next time . A 2.5 vs 1 userbase advantage at this time is going to profit the hardware sales of the 360? Please amuse me and the rest of our readers by explaining how having a saturated market for the 360 will improve sales. After you are done with that, please be as spinning as you can be and explain to me how piracy and the rrod actually helped make MS turn a profit. Not a nonsense paragraph. I was talking about marketing as my main point. The fact that the PS3 was bringing forth a lot of shooters was just used to support my argument about the relative strengths of each consoles marketing efforts. You say it yourself - saturated market. You support MY point that the Xbox360s exclusive games are more fitting for the current market dynamics. I also never said that you said that, I was saying "Its funny I hear "the Xbox360 is just a shooter console" And yet the PS3 is the one coming out with the big shooter games this year. Isn't it bad marketing to be a year behind the Xbox360 going for a market already tapped?" Read the whole sentance before you jump on the first part huh? The italic part is most interesting.

C: Thanks for explaining that. Hot temperatures for a long period never happen in the southern part of Europe, middle east, Florida and California. I bring Europe into the picture since it recently had a pricecut ofcourse. The dynamic of a price cut is less money for the same product. You pay less in Europe, you pay less in the states. See, no difference. Thanks for the funny attempt at a spin though. Australia is one of the hottest countries in the world, it can have temperatures reaching as high as 40 degrees WITH high humidity  or 50 without and furthermore a much greater percentage of the country experiences such high temperatures AND it has a relatively higher Xbox360 install base compared to the PS3. So it is both hotter on average and hotter in absolute terms. The middle east doesn't matter because it hardly has an consoles to compare it to.

Tease.