By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Microsoft got Beautiful-Katamari Exclusivity..what will be next?

So you figured out I hate mini game collections, non games and 'innovative' games, congratulations it's not like I was hiding it. There is a difference between a non game and a casual game, but I don't like either types.

Console games are more artistic tha PC games, if your definition of hardcore games is only to shooters then that's very limited and I don't agree with it. 

It's not an inferior controls scheme if everyone is using the same one, I don't like the idea of PC versus console multiplayer either because of the control system difference, it's not about inferiority or superiority.

You want artisitc video games? Go play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus or Okami. They are all console games and there is nothing on a PC that is even nearly as artistic.

Also for the record I prefer playing FPS on PC as well. I'm not a massive FPS guy, I like only a few and the one I play the most is Battlefield 2 on PC. I play Halo for the single player not the multiplayer, same with gears (though I dabbled in multiplayer a little).

The only console shooter that seems like I would be interested in playing online for hours upon hours is Warhawk because it reminds me a lot of battlefield with Warhawks and I like the sound of that a lot.

I also prefer RTS on PC, I tried to play C&C on 360 and I was going to shoot myself in the face it was so annoying. Endwar that's coming to consoles might fix that issue with voice commands but who knows...

So the idea that hardcore gamers are really on the PC and consoles are made for shallow experiences is false. I play the following games on PC: RTS, FPS and MMO and the following on consoles: Action, RPG and Adventure.

Don't label console gamers as not hardcore just cause you prefer PC hardcore games. Have you ever played Ninja Gaiden? Tell me that's not a game where you need to get skilled at to beat it or even RE4 actually.

Anyway I hate minigames, party games, 'casual' games and non-games. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Bodhesatva, at least that was a mature post you wrote there. ;)

Now that you just spoke about your love for casual games (or the so called casual games) it started me thinking. What if I like those kind of games too? That is something I have to check out. Perhaps after I've bought the X360, I might just go and buy a random casual/family game that got good or decent reviews. Like Eternal Sonata, or even a pure music game. Or why not a puzzle game (just happened to see there are many puzzle games under development for the X360). Or a brain game? Dammit, I actually have no clue about "casual" games.

Do you have any tips, Bodhesatva? ^^
(just don't say The Sims)

Eternal Sonata is not a casual game at all amigo it's an RPG, neither are puzzle games or Guitar Hero (that's a mix between casual and hardcore, it's for both audiences).

Blue3 said:
you cant really lose a real exclusive as it would be under contract, so what they lost were games they did not care about.

Your right, Sony couldn't care less about Devil May Cry, Assassins Creed, Guitar Hero or Grand Theft Auto...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Slimebeast said:
Bodhesatva, at least that was a mature post you wrote there. ;)

Now that you just spoke about your love for casual games (or the so called casual games) it started me thinking. What if I like those kind of games too? That is something I have to check out. Perhaps after I've bought the X360, I might just go and buy a random casual/family game that got good or decent reviews. Like Eternal Sonata, or even a pure music game. Or why not a puzzle game (just happened to see there are many puzzle games under development for the X360). Or a brain game? Dammit, I actually have no clue about "casual" games.

Do you have any tips, Bodhesatva? ^^
(just don't say The Sims)

Some of my favorites thus far are themed games, such as Cooking Mama. I think Cooking Mama is a big deal, and we should see more creative, interesting titles like that. I really enjoy Brain Age, it's the best video game I've played in a long while. 

As for "party" games, Wario Ware is much more fun than I anticipated. I also think Wii Sports is a great choice, but everyone knows that one.

Of all the traditional games that I've played, the one casuals seem to enjoy most is civilization. If you haven't tried that, pick it up.

In my opinion, the hallmark of a good "casual" game isn't just it's simplicity, it's is the rapidity with which it can be picked up and/or put down. Meaning, a game that can be enjoyed for 15-30 minutes at a time, instead of hours. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Slimebeast said:

Some of my favorites thus far are themed games, such as Cooking Mama. I think Cooking Mama is a big deal, and we should see more creative, interesting titles like that. I really enjoy Brain Age, it's the best video game I've played in a long while.

As for "party" games, Wario Ware is much more fun than I anticipated. I also think Wii Sports is a great choice, but everyone knows that one.

Of all the traditional games that I've played, the one casuals seem to enjoy most is civilization. If you haven't tried that, pick it up.

In my opinion, the hallmark of a good "casual" game isn't just it's simplicity, it's is the rapidity with which it can be picked up and/or put down. Meaning, a game that can be enjoyed for 15-30 minutes at a time, instead of hours.

Do you honestly think Cooking Mama was worth the 50$ you paid for it? Especially that you can get mostly the same experience ont the DS and on the go.

Warioware I can undestand if you play it very often but if you don't it seems too much for that game too, I bought it and gave it back in after a while cause didn't play it much.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

So you figured out I hate mini game collections, non games and 'innovative' games, congratulations it's not like I was hiding it. There is a difference between a non game and a casual game, but I don't like either types.

Console games are more artistic tha PC games, if your definition of hardcore games is only to shooters then that's very limited and I don't agree with it.

It's not an inferior controls scheme if everyone is using the same one, I don't like the idea of PC versus console multiplayer either because of the control system difference, it's not about inferiority or superiority.

You want artisitc video games? Go play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus or Okami. They are all console games and there is nothing on a PC that is even nearly as artistic.

Also for the record I prefer playing FPS on PC as well. I'm not a massive FPS guy, I like only a few and the one I play the most is Battlefield 2 on PC. I play Halo for the single player not the multiplayer, same with gears (though I dabbled in multiplayer a little).

The only console shooter that seems like I would be interested in playing online for hours upon hours is Warhawk because it reminds me a lot of battlefield with Warhawks and I like the sound of that a lot.

I also prefer RTS on PC, I tried to play C&C on 360 and I was going to shoot myself in the face it was so annoying. Endwar that's coming to consoles might fix that issue with voice commands but who knows...

So the idea that hardcore gamers are really on the PC and consoles are made for shallow experiences is false. I play the following games on PC: RTS, FPS and MMO and the following on consoles: Action, RPG and Adventure.

Don't label console gamers as not hardcore just cause you prefer PC hardcore games. Have you ever played Ninja Gaiden? Tell me that's not a game where you need to get skilled at to beat it or even RE4 actually.

Anyway I hate minigames, party games, 'casual' games and non-games.

I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but I do praise Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to the sky (especially the latter). I have specifically said that it's the only game I played on any console last generation, and I did so because it fascinated me. I was not disappointed.

However, these are literally just two games; that's it. That's really all I can name, at all, that attracts the adult side of me. That's pathetically small given the library of 1400+ PS2 games, and not even starting on the PS1/Xbox/360/PS3 titles. And if we're talking about attracting adults, it's not as simple as making an aesthetically arresting game. It's most definitely a start, but the problem lies in this: basically every game that people love on the PS/360 -- including Shadow of the Colossus -- has Guns, Swords, Cars, or some combination of the three. That's a problem. Guns, Swords, and Cars, Guns, Swords and Cars, over and over again. It just screams "teenage boy fantasy land," and that is the essential theme that video games need to get away from to attract mature adult gamers.

The games that will attract adult gamers aren't Metal Gear or God of War or Gears of War. In fact, as I've said, I think those games are antithetical to the cause. It is games like Brain Age, The Sims, Cooking Mama, Wii Sports, and Wii Health that are bringing adults in (I believe that last one will be the most important of the bunch) Most importantly, I believe this will finally give video games a chance to be something more than a puerile preoccupation -- something more than Guns, Swords, and Cars. And War, always War. I'm tired of the e-thug market.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
Slimebeast said:

Do you honestly think Cooking Mama was worth the 50$ you paid for it? Especially that you can get mostly the same experience ont the DS and on the go.

Warioware I can undestand if you play it very often but if you don't it seems too much for that game too, I bought it and gave it back in after a while cause didn't play it much.

Absolutely. Yes. Yes. And I will say this for emphasis: I would buy Cooking Mama again before I purchased Gears or Grand Theft Auto IV. 

nothing but rumor and speculation at this point *yawn* .. waiting for E3 , for real and hard information

for real? well my friend is gonna be pissed about this. She loves katamari, but their is no love for the 360.

Bodhesatva said:

I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but I do praise Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to the sky (especially the latter). I have specifically said that it's the only game I played on any console last generation, and I did so because it fascinated me. I was not disappointed.

However, these are literally just two games; that's it. That's really all I can name, at all, that attracts the adult side of me. That's pathetically small given the library of 1400+ PS2 games, and not even starting on the PS1/Xbox/360/PS3 titles. And if we're talking about attracting adults, it's not as simple as making an aesthetically arresting game. It's most definitely a start, but the problem lies in this: basically every game that people love on the PS/360 -- including Shadow of the Colossus -- has Guns, Swords, Cars, or some combination of the three. That's a problem. Guns, Swords, and Cars, Guns, Swords and Cars, over and over again. It just screams "teenage boy fantasy land," and that is the essential theme that video games need to get away from to attract mature adult gamers.

The games that will attract adult gamers aren't Metal Gear or God of War or Gears of War. In fact, as I've said, I think those games are antithetical to the cause. It is games like Brain Age, The Sims, Cooking Mama, Wii Sports, and Wii Health that are bringing adults in (I believe that last one will be the most important of the bunch) Most importantly, I believe this will finally give video games a chance to be something more than a puerile preoccupation -- something more than Guns, Swords, and Cars. And War, always War. I'm tired of the e-thug market.

I'm not even going to argue anymore if you rather play those mini games go play them no way of convincing you, I guess everyone who plays the other kinds of games are all immature because they are not 'adults' like you are... Get off your fuckin high horse.

Don't forget to conveniantly ignore all the other hardcore games that don't have guns or gore in them like RPGs and such... Yeah Tidus was an e-thug I can see it now...