By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Firmware 2.40 Faq:" sony is working on IN GAME VOICE CHAT, and CROSS INVITE

leo-j said:
Huge thing to point out, the reason NO GAME SUPPORTS IN GAME MUSIC, is because of microsoft, not sony.

Microsoft holds a patent, if sony implemented it they would have been sued, so blame them not sony.

not dumb enough for the "epic facepalm", but it deserves one nonetheless......

*facepalm*

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

damn, idk, Im kinda disappointed. Looks like most games I play will not support custom soundtracks (NBA 2k8 that I play like everyday). Also, I was kinda disappointed that In-game XMB would only be for PS3 games, I was kinda hoping that I could play Street Fighter 3 (or any fighting game for that matter) with MvsC2 music.

Retrasado said:
leo-j said:
Huge thing to point out, the reason NO GAME SUPPORTS IN GAME MUSIC, is because of microsoft, not sony.

Microsoft holds a patent, if sony implemented it they would have been sued, so blame them not sony.

not dumb enough for the "epic facepalm", but it deserves one nonetheless......

*facepalm*

honestly Sony could win a court battle on this one as Microsoft jsut patented evolution of technology and basically could be called a patent troll and have it nullified.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Patent troll? LOL. Im not very versed in law, but is that really what it would be called?

SnakeEyez said:
Patent troll? LOL. Im not very versed in law, but is that really what it would be called?

i highly doubt..lol

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
Bonafide732 said:
SnakeEyez said:

i highly doubt..lol

Definition and etymology

"Patent troll" is a controversial neologism, susceptible to multiple definitions. Among them is a party that:

• "Purchases a patent, often from a bankrupt firm, and then sues another company by claiming that one of its products infringes on the purchased patent;"[2].
  • Enforces patents against purported infringers without itself intending to manufacture the patented product or supply the patented service;[3][4]
  • Enforces patents but has no manufacturing or research base;[5] or
  • Focuses its efforts solely on enforcing patent rights.[6]

The term was used as early as 1993 to describe companies that file aggressive patent lawsuits.[2] The Patent Troll was depicted and originally popularized in "The Patents Video" which was released in 1994 and sold to hundreds of corporations, universities and governmental entities. In "The Patents Video," an unsuspecting victim is surprised by the Patent Troll who strategically positioned himself to collect patent licensing revenue. [2];[7] Years later, it was again popularized in 2001 by Peter Detkin, former assistant general counsel of Intel,[8] who applied it to entities that purchase patents at low prices from inventors, rather than inventing or actively developing a technology themselves, then broadly assert the patents across an industry to encourage settlements.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

gah i wish SONY would give us custom soundtracks...

Seriously just have the music play over the game music ( so you need to mute the game yourself). It's not that hard and Microsoft would not and can not win in a court of law since SONY had working version on custom soundtracks before M$ got their patent. Hell it was one of PS3's launch features --- only trouble is/was its up to the developer - and previously developers had to allocate RAM and build an interface so none of them bothered...

Looks like most games released in the future will support Trophies -- and hopefully most successful older games will be patched.

From now on this is the official firmware 2.40 thread, discussion about 2.40 can be done here.

Thank you, and have a nice, clutter free, day~

To Each Man, Responsibility

2.40 is a good step for Sony. Unforunately, some of the features will not have universal support with older games, but it is good for future games and the next Sony console will be built with these features in mind from the start.

I give this thread a 9.6.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.