By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's better, Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World

I struggle between these 2 games - they both are, almost unarguably, the best 2 Mario Side-Scrollers.  Yet I cannot decide which one I think is better.  What do you guys think?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

Super Mario World for me by a mile!

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Super Mario World is much more memorable to me...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

super mario bros. 3 is better imo. Its harder and the suits are what sets it apart. There are more of them and they are varied. I also think that getting hit while on yoshi and being able to get back on him was kinda lame..

I had the misfortune of playing Super Mario World before ever tackling Super Mario 3 -- so while I could see a lot of the innovations I loved in SMW actually came from SM3, they no longer seemed as fresh.

I don't have the magazine in front of me, but if memory serves in Retro Gamer magazine's recent list of the top 25 platformers, SMW beat out SM3, but only by two slots (#1 and #3, respectively.) In between was Jet Set Willy, a very popular home computer game in the UK but almost unknown in the US.

Around the Network

3, but just barely. World was fantastic in its own right, but 3 had more secrets to find, better theming, and just better design in general.

Super Mario World for me by quite a bit.

Both games are very fun. Super Mario Bros. 3 is much much harder, plus you cannot save your progress...well back when it was released you couldn't. I still liked Super Mario World better for some reason.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

SMB3, by a mile.

SMB3 = a bear, you'd leave the console on over night when you went to bed so you wouldn't lose your progress.

SMW = so easy you could beat it the weekend you brought the SNES home.

There was a reason Nintendo raked in the cash hand over fist with that 1-900 help line for game tips that they used to advertise in Nintendo Power. In fact, without the Internet back then you practically HAD to buy Nintendo Power and call that number at 3:00am once you got stuck.

Games back then were tough as nails. Everything after the original NES, combined with the proliferation of crap like Game Genies? Not so much.

SMW b/c of YOSHI!! who doesn't love the little dinosaur?