By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which is better? Component, VGA, or HDMI for the 360

So, the question I am posing today is ... which has a better connection for video on the 360?

Component cables, the VGA cable, or the HDMI cable?

This is my TV.

It supports all resolutions except 1080p. I currently have my 360 hooked up to it through component cables and resolution set to 1080i. It is very pretty.

Over the weekend, I hooked the 360 up to my 19inch computer monitor with the VGA cable and set the resolution to 1280 x 1024 (I think). On the smaller screen, it looked just as good, if not better than the component cables.

My question is ... will HDMI look even better?

I don't have an HDMI connection in the back of my TV, but I do have a DVI connection, and I can get an adapter that goes from HDMI to DVI.

Any recommendations? Should I stay component? Is VGA better than component? Is HDMI the cream of the crop? Please tell me your experiences/recommendations.

Around the Network

In theory, HDMI. In practice, you'll probably find all are pretty close, and HDMI may even be worse depending on the TV. Usually HDMI would be the best though (with the added benefit of transporting audio).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

My opinion: If you can't do 1080p, 720p is the next best thing. Definitely better for gaming than 1080i. Use those component cables, set the console for 720p, and don't look back. That's what I did.

HDMI is generally the best. But since you don't have a 1080p TV, components will be just as fine as HDMI, as HDMI only truly shines in the fact that it's the only cable that can support 1080p.

This is slightly off topic (sorry), but does anyone know if the Xbox 360's HDMI out can display the full RGB color range? (i.e., 0-255 rather than 15-235 or whatever it is).

I remember reading a while ago that they added a similar switching option for VGA.

Around the Network

Wait I was wondering which was better Hdmi or Dvi?

sc94597 said:

In picture quality I think they're the same (both are digital). HDMI transports audio and DVI doesn't.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

HDMI is supposed to be better, but i am not to sure so, they say it doesnt loose or distort any data or some crap like that, according to them this makes the picture more colourful and clear, but i thnik only the die hard graphics Whores like me, would be able to tell the diff, and thats with very close inspection

sc94597 said:

HDMI and DVI are equally good when it comes to video (because both uses digital signal) but DVI doesn't deliver sound.

KillerMan said:
sc94597 said:

HDMI and DVI are equally good when it comes to video (because both uses digital signal) but DVI doesn't deliver sound.

i was just about to add that into my post lol