By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - XP Xpires.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-download/2008/06/30/windows-xp-era-ends-today.html

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Bye_Bye_Microsoft_Windows_XP/551-90740-580.html

i heard on the news that today is the last day Microsoft is shipping its xp operating system, and vista will now be the 'new' system of chioce (pre-installed on new comps).  I'm sure many 'hardcore' pc users will find this news disheartening, but there still is techincial support planned till 2009, and the OS system can will still be found on the market till at least January of next year.

although, i doubt many will not even care. Thoughts?

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

Around the Network

They're still supporting XP up through 2014, so nothing to worry about if you already have it.

Somehow i forsee that because of this all the PC-savvy people will just end up dowloading XP and not buying Vista. I would at least.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

i am surprised it took them this long

Games I am looking forward to:

PC: Diablo III, Fallout III, Stacraft 2, Spore, Empire: Total War, American McGee's Grimm

360: Madden 09, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Blood Bowl

“Go ask [Blizzard president] Rob Pardo if PC gaming is dead – if he can take the time out from making money hats, I’m sure he’ll give you a really eloquent explanation of why probably the most valuable entertainment franchise of the moment is PC-specific.” - Gabe Newell

Well if MS ever decide to rearrange the horrible user folder system they so horribly fucked up in Vista, or let Nvidia cards fullscreen video to a TV in dualview, I won't be going from XP anytime soon.

Let me change my root documents folder and move everything else with it. Don't make me have to move every little (and frankly useless) subfolder individually. And don't bloody rename my already created folders to what you see fit.

Why the hell restrict Nvidia users to output video in fullscreen to other displays in Vista (when it was easy in XP) but not for ATI users?

Vista in quite a few ways is such a step back from XP it really is silly, and I genuinely do want to use it as my main OS but for silly little things like those that really shouldn't be there, I and I imagine many others cannot.

Around the Network

I don't much care.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

I legally own Vista, so if support ever gets so unbearable that I need to "upgrade," then I will. Having DirectX 10 support will be nice by then, and I'm guessing Vista's problems will be mostly sorted out, as they were a bit by its SP1.

I'm not really worried at all.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

lol i doubt anyone on this forum would be worried, as i assume the vast majority are adore using xp (or their *gasps* macs). As Sam Yikin said, they're planning support till 2014, which sounds like a period to even hint at - or release- a new OS.

But i don't know how long an operating system's life cycle lasts, so don't quote me on it. :P

I actually do use vista (came with my computer), and honestly, i find searching internal files a breeze, and the overall presentation isn't too shabby. I had bad experiences with my last comp. (which ran xp), and so far i am content with my current os.

Yet I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

I dual-boot Vista and XP, but I run Vista 99.9% of the time. I rarely have any issues any more. In fact,the only time i really use XP now is for Diablo II

Games I am looking forward to:

PC: Diablo III, Fallout III, Stacraft 2, Spore, Empire: Total War, American McGee's Grimm

360: Madden 09, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Blood Bowl

“Go ask [Blizzard president] Rob Pardo if PC gaming is dead – if he can take the time out from making money hats, I’m sure he’ll give you a really eloquent explanation of why probably the most valuable entertainment franchise of the moment is PC-specific.” - Gabe Newell

The "only" problems I've had with Vista is intermittent crashing. Don;t ask me why, but this bugger just LOVES to crash. Especially when shutting down, going to sleep, hibernating, and watching videos in a web browser...(In all cases, it doesn't do it ALL the time, just more than it should)

Other than that, the search feature is light-years ahead of XP, the presentation is awesome (love the transparency :D), and the error messages are a lot more likely to actually tell you what the heck is going on. So I'm not too teary-eyed to see XP go.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it