By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC GPUs will catch and and spank the PS3 in folding at home soon.

MikeB said:

@ Nj5

@MikeB: My point still stands, that's not a PS3 Cell, it has 8 SPEs instead of 6.

Again look at figure 5f, the cores show linear performance increase. You can easily determine how much double precision performance you get from 6 SPEs in this situation.

Of course the PS3 has 2 more active CPUs in addition to 6 SPEs, the PPE and one additional SPE used in the background by the CellOS.

But as always, you cherry pick part of my replies and ignore the parts which prove you wrong. PS3's SPEs are simply not as good for double-precision calculations as other CPU cores are, and the paper states that quite clearly. It's still a fantastic processor for single-precision, but that's not what we were discussing.

The Cell's double precision performance is also remarkable, way more than you could achieve with the Xenon.

The Cell is good at double precision format calculations, but really shines supreme at half- and single precision.

Ever heard of Amdahl's law? Not all double-precision workloads can be split amongst cores... The fact is that in general, the current SPEs are worse at double-precision arithmetic, and that's stated in the paper. That's why there'll be a new Cell with better double-precision performance.

I'd like to see the basis for the claim I bolded in your post. What's your source for that?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ pimpcoop

PC always are better gaming machines

No, back in the 80s and much of the 90s they sucked at games in comparison.

Rogue beats all those 80s games 0-100. :D

Yeah, not really. Back then it was c64 vs 286. There was just no way 286 could do such a remarkable things as c64. Then sound cards came and sid was like bike compared to cars to them. Even simple adlib cards did crush c64 sid without even breaking the sweat. After that 3D cards. Voodoo, vesa local bus... Theres no system compared to PC now.

And for thread itself:

It has been always like that. 3-4 years old GPU:s beat PS3 @ folding at home.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/folding@home/ps3-dominates-foldinghome-246543.php

Do you guys get some kind of sexual stimulation from this ? The PS3 has been out for what 3 years now , kepeing in mind you can't upgrade the PS3 I think it's doing pretty well in terms of performance.

Also, PCs can have an Aegia PhysX card added in also, which further distributes the tasks of the system, taking care of all physics related matters

And the worlds current fastest supercomputer is composed a shit-ton of Cell chips? While being much smaller than the previous fastest >_>;; also made from the same company x.x; This topic seems so random xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
And the worlds current fastest supercomputer is composed a shit-ton of Cell chips? While being much smaller than the previous fastest >_>;; also made from the same company x.x; This topic seems so random xD

You see "world's fastest supercomputer composed by tons of Cells" on the thread title?

Yeah, that was pretty random.

@Fazz I'm not sure this thread has much to do with the PS3 anymore anyway o.O If GPU technology wasn't better than 3 year old tech I'd be slightly worried. This thread seems like a big duh if you ask me. Then someone mentioned the competition between 4 different companies, so I stated that I doubt the cell is in any frightened position, it seems they all have they're place >_>;;;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM, that IBM computer, RoadRunner, is actually a hybrid of two different chips. The CELL and AMD Opterons.

The Opterons are even broken into two categories (computational and operational). The 400 or so operational Opterons (out of 7,000) are the main processors while the ~13,000 CELL chips work like a math co-processor.

You have to understand that the CELL is still a pretty specialized chip. There are many functions that an old Pentium 4 chip can do much faster than a CELL ever dreamed of doing (and obviously vice versa).

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Million said:
Do you guys get some kind of sexual stimulation from this ? The PS3 has been out for what 3 years now , kepeing in mind you can't upgrade the PS3 I think it's doing pretty well in terms of performance.

Uh, short memory huh?  It came out in Nov 2006 if I recall, that makes it a whole year and a half.  I guess that sorta almost rounds up to 3 yrs.  Not really.

Edit:  Oh and this doesn't bode well for the next 8.5 yrs for the "10 year console" does it?

the cell didn't go straight from the chalk board straight into ps3s. we were hearing about it long before launch and studios needed them to make their games with so that they knew what the hell they were doing, so it is 3 years old minimum, maybe 4 or 5. Also, seeing as how old it is and how developers are still striving to get even more out of it, it does bode well for its long life time. and of course you wouldn't know what sony means when they say 10 year console, it doesn't mean they are going to put games out for it for 10 years or force retailers to try and sell it for ten years, it is they will support it for 10 years with replacement parts and fixes if it breaks and you don't want to or can't buy a new one. the ps1 didn't stay on store shelves for the last couple years of its 10 year life, hell most people probably forgot about it when the news came that sony was going to stop supporting it.