By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC GPUs will catch and and spank the PS3 in folding at home soon.

Squilliam said:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

OS Type Current TFLOPS* Active CPUs Total CPUs
Windows 200 210498 2074291
Mac OS X/PowerPC 7 8419 116953
Mac OS X/Intel 27 8632 52888
Linux 74 43460 314731
GPU 895 8139 16013
PLAYSTATION®3 1335 47352 549907
Total 2538 326500 3124783

As you can see - GPUs produce 4 times the achieveable Tflops per CPU that the PS3 does and thats without the latest Teraflop cards from AMD/Nvidia fully online yet. *4850/70 etc*

Within a year I would expect the numbers for the GPU client to be at least 4 times higher than the PS3 client.

It looks like PCs will reign supreme in the floating point areas of computing if IBM/Sony/Toshiba don't do something about it soon.

Why Care? A single GPU costs almost as much as a PS3. And you still need a full computer around that, so at least the price of ANOTHER PS3, probably the cost of two PS3s if you build a solid machine around it. So I guess for hte cost of 3 Ps3's I could get 4 times the Ps3....

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

computer engineering at vgchartz? almost screams virgin

|_emmiwinks said:

Why Care? A single GPU costs almost as much as a PS3. And you still need a full computer around that, so at least the price of ANOTHER PS3, probably the cost of two PS3s if you build a solid machine around it. So I guess for hte cost of 3 Ps3's I could get 4 times the Ps3....

Actually, you can get a GPU which supports folding@home for $100. You can get a GPU which runs Crysis on high settings for a little bit more than that (less than $200 for sure).

Why did you build a post around BS numbers you pulled out of your ass?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
|_emmiwinks said:

Actually, you can get a GPU which supports folding@home for $100. You can get a GPU which runs Crysis on high settings for a little bit more than that (less than $200 for sure).

Im sorry, I got a GeForce 8800 GT which is by far not a top of the line card and it was slightly over 200 dollars. I seriously doubt that cards less then 8800, like 8600s or lower are going to be doing much over the PS3 in folding operations, which I guess I could be wrong about, I seriously dont care about this enough to check.

However, he also brings up the new cards (4850/70), being what? 400 dollars minimum?

Either which way, I dont care. Really, only fanboys would care if PC's are able to out perform a console. Seriously, its been that way since the beginning. Who cares? Apparently you.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
NJ5 said:
|_emmiwinks said:

Im sorry, I got a GeForce 8800 GT which is by far not a top of the line card and it was slightly over 200 dollars. I seriously doubt that cards less then 8800, like 8600s or lower are going to be doing much over the PS3 in folding operations, which I guess I could be wrong about, I seriously dont care about this enough to check.

However, he also brings up the new cards (4850/70), being what? 400 dollars minimum?

Either which way, I dont care. Really, only fanboys would care if PC's are able to out perform a console. Seriously, its been that way since the beginning. Who cares? Apparently you.

It's fantastic... One day, I get called a Wii fanboy, the other day a 360 fanboy, now I'm getting called a PC fanboy? And why, simply because I debunked your BS, which apparently even you were aware of. See the difference between your two posts in this thread, and how GPUs got much cheaper from one post to the other.

If you're going to post something like that, at least search for the benchmarks and prices. If you don't want to make the post accurate, why bother posting at all? You're misinforming everyone.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
|_emmiwinks said:
NJ5 said:
|_emmiwinks said:

It's fantastic... One day, I get called a Wii fanboy, the other day a 360 fanboy, now I'm getting called a PC fanboy? And why, simply because I debunked your BS, which apparently even you were aware of. See the difference between your two posts in this thread, and how GPUs got much cheaper from one post to the other.

If you're going to post something like that, at least search for the benchmarks and prices. If you don't want to make the post accurate, why bother posting at all? You're misinforming everyone.

Im not calling you a fanboy, I just said apparently you care that the PC is more powerful than a console, you made the jump. Newsflash, my Home Stereo system is more powerful then my MP3 player.

Wait, check it out, my PS3 is more powerful than my PSP!!! Wait, my car is more powerful than my Bicycle.

Welcome to the world of obvious. Should I make a thread about each of those and post the mad statz?

The PC has been, and will almost certainly always be more powerful then consoles.

As for prices and benchmarks? Why do you feel the urge to point out something as insignicant as the fact that I picked the 9000 series of GeForce cards as my starting price point (300+ typically) to say that if you are building a computer to run that card you are spending 3 times as much as if you were to just buy a PS3. Which is the reason people buy Consoles, pay less and have a standardized platform for a long period of time.

Im still missing where what I said was so grossly innapropiate that you felt the need to attack me. The biggest point of my post, and the next post and THIS post is that THE PC HAS ALWAYS BEEN MORE POWERFUL THEN HOME CONSOLES!

Why are you so defensive? Your original post was:

Seems to me like the biggest point in this post is not that PCs are more powerful. That's all I see there, cost cost cost. It's pretty clearly mostly about the cost of PCs. It doesn't get much clearer than that...

One $200 graphics card (WITHOUT mail in rebate) Delivers 100 GFlops of double precision and 1000Gflops of single precision. One PS3 Cell delivers 260 GFlops single and 20 Gflops double precision. Performance in folding? 3 times higher at least. Cost of system including said card? $700. Cost of PS3? $400. Price/Performance about 1.66:1 at least.

Tease.

@NJ5. lol, some people dont know when to give it a rest, just because u back up your claims with so called "facts" doesnt stop you from being a fanboy. you only back up your claims with these "facts" to try and not appear a fanboy

when you pay how much money for a GPU then i would be angery if it didnt. Anyway i dont think the ps3 one as ben optimized enough