By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve Hacker managed to burn 13 million Euros caught by police

Valve Hacker Caught by Dutch Police

Jun 29, 2008 10:18pm CST tags: Valve
A man who hacked into a third party Valve file server and stole the credit card numbers of Steam Cyber Cafe users was caught by police in the Dutch town of Maastricht this Tuesday.

According to the Dutch Ministry of the Interior, the 20 year old hacker had managed to "burn 13 million Euros playing poker online and shopping for notebooks, flat screens and MP3 players" before being caught.

Known by the online handle MaddoxX, the man first made news when he boasted of the Valve hack in April of 2007.

"We also don't want money from VALVe," he wrote on the No-Steam forum last year. "We want a simple message on their site."

MaddoxX then posted an archived file that included unverified credit card numbers, transaction amounts, Valve's supposed bank balance, and data that reportedly allowed the creation of counterfeit cyber cafe certificates.

Valve quickly responded to the breach of security, creating an email address titled "Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com" to encourage citizens to help the authorities track down MaddoxX.

In addition to the Valve caper, MaddoxX is being charged with hacking his way into an Activision server and subsequently downloading an unfinished version of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. MaddoxX also stole 50,000 credit card numbers from an English ticketing website, according to the ITExaminer.

The criminal was eventually nabbed by a Dutch police unit called Team High Tech Crime. There is no word on whether members of Team High Tech Crime go by code-names or wear special uniforms.

Thanks to andre GiANT and zips for the tips.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53369

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

13 Million Euros playing online poker?! Holy shit!!!

Games I am looking forward to:

PC: Diablo III, Fallout III, Stacraft 2, Spore, Empire: Total War, American McGee's Grimm

360: Madden 09, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Blood Bowl

“Go ask [Blizzard president] Rob Pardo if PC gaming is dead – if he can take the time out from making money hats, I’m sure he’ll give you a really eloquent explanation of why probably the most valuable entertainment franchise of the moment is PC-specific.” - Gabe Newell

That´s what i thought too when i read it. just insane ammount of money.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

i mean, what is wrong in your head when you are betting ~100k on a hand in online poker?

Games I am looking forward to:

PC: Diablo III, Fallout III, Stacraft 2, Spore, Empire: Total War, American McGee's Grimm

360: Madden 09, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead, Blood Bowl

“Go ask [Blizzard president] Rob Pardo if PC gaming is dead – if he can take the time out from making money hats, I’m sure he’ll give you a really eloquent explanation of why probably the most valuable entertainment franchise of the moment is PC-specific.” - Gabe Newell

It can´t be that hard of the money isn´t yours

Around the Network

Don't trust Dutch people.

13 mil Euros!!! If I pulledof something like that, I'd have kept quiet and been bill-free for the rest of my life!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I would have kept the 13 million euros...

Hackers are byfar the biggest dweebs in the world. Seriously, they are those kids in your highschool that are unathletic, never get exercise and sit infront of they computers all day.
Oh I forgot to mention they are totally unsocial.. they want to shoot people up because they hate the popular dudes who get all the girls. :)

Im willing to bet 999,999/1,000,000 are virgins.

weezy gives 2 lowly thumbs down to hackers.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Hackers suck, im glad he was caught.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!