By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - everyone get a quad core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=q6600&x=0&y=0

it is currently under 200 dollares, which is cheaper than the E8400 

Around the Network

Why? I'm happy with dual cores tyvm. I'll get a quad core when more games use them.

but when they cheaper than dual cores, they are a steal, and this one is one of the best cpus out there

A) I don't have that much money.
B) I'm not really in need of a new CPU
C) Calling 199.99 under 200 is just wrong. Do you actually get your cent back if you hand over 2X100 dollars?

This is invisible text!

My dual core was $70 and I overclocked it by 100%. It performs fine.

Around the Network

Quad cores are pretty pointless. Dual core is great: One for the work and one for all OS background tasks. But since PC developers cannot depend on multicores they are only used for a very small subset of programs. (They are great for video encoding)

actaully u do get your one cent back, if there is no tax

when i do that i need 2 upgrade also the rest of my pc...
and i'm not a moneytree

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Already had one for 5 months.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

a12331 said:
but when they cheaper than dual cores, they are a steal, and this one is one of the best cpus out there

Firstly, the E8400 is $189.99, so the quad core isn't cheaper. Secondly, it really depends on what you need. The E8400 is a more powerful chip per core than the Q6600 (Faster FSB, Faster Clock, 45nm). As has been mention, for the average user, they'll get more benefit out of the faster dual core than a slower quad core.