By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - everyone get a quad core

tiachopvutru said:
Katilian said:
a12331 said:
but when they cheaper than dual cores, they are a steal, and this one is one of the best cpus out there

Firstly, the E8400 is $189.99, so the quad core isn't cheaper. Secondly, it really depends on what you need. The E8400 is a more powerful chip per core than the Q6600 (Faster FSB, Faster Clock, 45nm). As has been mention, for the average user, they'll get more benefit out of the faster dual core than a slower quad core.

Actually, if some one runs a whole bunch of applications in the background, wouldn't the quad core be better?

I would consider an average user spamming a whole bunch of windows more than running any kind of extensive applications that might maximize the CPU usage.

Most of those applications are doing absolutely nothing 99% of the time. Multiple cores only show their true advantage when you are able to max out a single core. If you're running 100 applications, yet they only use 15% cpu time, it doesn't matter how many cores you have, you'll see no advantage because the work could be done by a single core. There are two main places you'll see an advantage:

1) When a single application maxes out a core and you are able to still get work done while it is in the background and

2) When a single application is able to max out numerous cores simultianiously.

The applications which fall into category 2 still tend to be restricted to power users (video/audio encoding, compression, simulations), although some games are finally utilising the power. The majority of the time however will be in example 1, where they fire off some application and while they are waiting for it to finish they do other work.

Around the Network

Ill get it when its $100 with a motherboard. I find that $100 is the sweet spot that will get me a CPU good enough to run for 2 years along with a high end video card. No point in buying something that is only 20% faster for 100% more money when it will be just as worthless come 2 years time... well i take it back. Maybe if it uses less power and generates less heat. I might consider it then because modern CPU's and vid cards are getting out of hand.

I´ll probably wait until September-November to buy one, but I really need one of those things (An 8Gb of ram :P)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

For those $200 I will buy a Radeon HD4850... just thinking about it makes me feel all fuzzy :D

So Intel's price cut has happened.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Nice price. I've been using my C2 Quad Q6600 ever since that first big price cut last year(when they released the good G0 overclockers :) ) Works like a charm!

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"